Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 11:03 AM

908 posts, read 1,112,437 times

Advertisements

Because A/C was invented.

One of the greatest inventions in history.

I'd like to meet the single person down south who doesn't have A/C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 11:09 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,738,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
Why do people forget that even the hottest of summer days have mornings and evenings?
They don't forget, they just find that those mornings and evenings are also humid and uncomfortable.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:15 AM

379 posts, read 286,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
They don't forget, they just find that those mornings and evenings are also humid and uncomfortable.
In places starting from far inland Texas and westward, conditions aren't muggy, so nights/mornings feel cooler. In the SE US (from eastern Texas eastward), conditions are muggy, but nightly breezes from the Gulf of Mexico/South Atlantic keep some comfort.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:23 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,802,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As I've said in the past, I would enjoy hot weather much more if I wasn't a profuse sweater. I'm not talking about sweaty pits, I'm talking about sweat dripping from my hair and soaking through my entire shirt. It makes anything even in the 80s uncomfortable for me.

In addition (and quite possibly related), on a scale of one to ten, I'm an eight or nine in terms of body hair. There's absolutely no way I'm subjecting my hairy back on anyone outside the family. On the rare occasions I go to the pool or beach (can't swim anyway) I always keep on my shirt. So water activities just don't really appeal to me.

The thing I really don't understand is how people in the Sunbelt deal with the heat when they need to dress professionally for work. Even in the summer up here I sweat all the way through my undershirt onto my button up shirt. I can't imagine if I needed to have a job where I wore a long-sleeve dress shirt, tie, and sportscoat.
Why don't you get it waxed or laser hair removal? They do wonders.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:27 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,802,575 times
First of all it's preference.

Second of all, I think for the most part humans tend to prefer warmer weather than cold weather. Hence why cold countries like Russia or Canada, most of their cities are on the southern part of the country. I know people say preference, but naturally I think humans prefer warm weather. Case in point, why most people leave during the winter to vacation somewhere warm. It's very rare to meet someone in Florida, California, or Texas say "Oh I am going to go to Chicago to enjoy the winter weather up there in December."

Also, some people forget it's just not the cold but everything that comes with it. The dead vegetation. All the layers of clothes. The dreary, overcast and gray days.

I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, it was 115 every day and yes it wasn't the most comfortable, but we spent 5 hours in the pool, and while it was hot as hell we were able to still enjoy being outside. In winter in cold places it's not the same. You have to bundle up and you are limited on what you can do outside.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:04 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
Why do people forget that even the hottest of summer days have mornings and evenings?
Why assume that people who loath hot/humid weather still don't see anything appealing about evenings of 80F with 90% relative humdity? Where I live, during heatwaves, that's what we can expect at night and mornings.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:13 PM

379 posts, read 286,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Why assume that people who loath hot/humid weather still don't see anything appealing about evenings of 80F with 90% relative humdity? Where I live, during heatwaves, that's what we can expect at night and mornings.
False, in the SE US, average lows are in the 70s; from sunset until early morning, temps cool down and down until they bottom out. In that time, sea breezes from the Gulf/South Atlantic can cool things down.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:13 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,801,839 times
Sure, it's all preferences, and I completely understand all sides of this. What I don't understand, is how it can be so dominant in one direction.

The poster that talked about wearing dress clothes for work, etc. in that heat nailed one of my thoughts. I can't imagine wearing a business suit (like I do from time to time now) when it's 90+ and humid out. How miserable. At least when it's cold you can wear a coat and hat and 95% of the time be perfectly fine.

Honestly, much of the issue I have is with people from the north that think of how awesome it would be to move to Phoenix or Miami, etc. Anyone seriously considering that move needs to spend 2-3 weeks in those places in the summer first.

Cold is more escapable to me than the heat. The argument of going from one A/C place to another applies to heated buildings as well. But outside, you can protect yourself with more clothes. In the heat, you can only strip down so far.

Living in Chicagoland, there are about 3-4 months of cold that are bad. The other 8-9 months are either okay, or downright nice. That said, I think partway better would be ideal. Maybe a place like Nashville, or Virginia, D.C., etc. You'd still get the 4 seasons but take some bite out of the winters.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:23 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
First of all it's preference.

Second of all, I think for the most part humans tend to prefer warmer weather than cold weather. Hence why cold countries like Russia or Canada, most of their cities are on the southern part of the country. I know people say preference, but naturally I think humans prefQUOTE]rm weather. Case in point, why most people leave during the winter to vacation somewhere warm. It's very rare to meet someone in Florida, California, or Texas say "Oh I am going to go to Chicago to enjoy the winter weather up there in December."

Also, some people forget it's just not the cold but everything that comes with it. The dead vegetation. All the layers of clothes. The dreary, overcast and gray days.

I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, it was 115 every day and yes it wasn't the most comfortable, but we spent 5 hours in the pool, and while it was hot as hell we were able to still enjoy being outside. In winter in cold places it's not the same. You have to bundle up and you are limited on what you can do outside.
Threads like this tend to end in stalemates. This one will too.

In the end it is about what we prefer as individuals. Although it seems warm weather lovers tend to look down on people who don't agree. It's kind of like how extroverts don't understand introverts with the general idea that introverts need to be "converted".

Oh, and where I live cold months don't totally consist of gray days. There are plenty of days with crystal clear blue skies.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:26 PM

908 posts, read 1,112,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Hence why cold countries like Russia or Canada, most of their cities are on the southern part of the country.
No, the real reason their cities are south is because north, there are no resources or infrastructure to maintain large cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.