U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
North Dakota 6 3.85%
South Dakota 58 37.18%
Indiana 3 1.92%
Iowa 21 13.46%
Deleware 17 10.90%
Nevada 51 32.69%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 08:16 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,322,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I guess I just haven't been too impressed with the places I've been. DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and Galveston. I guess I need to make my way out to the Western part of the state because I haven't seen anything here yet but flat prairie.
There is certainly a lot of flat prairie in Texas, but there's also the coast, the hill country and its rivers, the piney woods of east Texas, the Guadalupe mountains. It's a big place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 08:17 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,322,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
"meh" states huh?

I think California is a "meh" state. So there's that.
That's nutty. California has such a huge variety of landscapes and climates, it's hard to imagine not liking (more than) one.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:06 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,447,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I guess I just haven't been too impressed with the places I've been. DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and Galveston. I guess I need to make my way out to the Western part of the state because I haven't seen anything here yet but flat prairie.
The prettiest stuff in Texas is all in very remote parts of the state. The Guadelope mountains, Big Bend, Palo Duro canyon, South Padre Island... All of those things are a long drive from any of Texas's cities.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:45 PM

4,327 posts, read 919,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
"meh" states huh?

I think California is a "meh" state. So there's that.
I wish that more people felt the same way as you, then California wouldn't be so overpopulated and expensive.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:20 PM

5,837 posts, read 10,791,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
The prettiest stuff in Texas is all in very remote parts of the state. The Guadelope mountains, Big Bend, Palo Duro canyon, South Padre Island... All of those things are a long drive from any of Texas's cities.
agreed. On paper Texas has a lot of natural, beautiful geographic variety, but its not very practical to really visit these places easily if you are where the career opportunities are. The only exceptional natural beauty that is found within easy distance from major Texas urban areas are the hill country near Austin and San Antonio.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:41 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,132,244 times
Having been to all of those states, I would say South Dakota has the best scenery, then Nevada. Western SD is really, really nice, especially in the Rapid City area.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:48 PM

3,758 posts, read 2,573,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
That's nutty. California has such a huge variety of landscapes and climates, it's hard to imagine not liking (more than) one.
"Woosh"....

That was the sound of the context of my post going over your head.

A bunch of people from "cool states" calling other states "meh" states. It's very subjective and pretty...well...dumb.

You think the midwest is "meh"...that's fine. I or anyone else can think the same thing about any state. It's all subjective.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:29 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,449,504 times
I've only been to three of these states, and I would not call any of them "meh." South Dakota is my favorite. I absolutely love the Black Hills! The Badlands are also beautiful, but there are other parts of the state that are pretty too. As much as I hate the town of Pierre, its setting on the rolling hills around the Missouri River is pretty. East river has some pretty areas, too.

I'd place Nevada over Iowa, just because I like the western scenery, mountains, desert, etc. However, Iowa isn't all cornfields. There are lots of pretty places, especially in the eastern part of the state. I've got to disagree with anyone who thinks Sioux City is a nice place, though. It's a cesspool.

I haven't been to North Dakota but the western part has some pretty scenery, with Theodore Roosevelt National Park and the badlands. From what I've seen in pictures and been told, their badlands are actually prettier than SD's.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:10 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,533,198 times
SD by a landslide. And Nevada is the ugliest state in the US. Las Vegas has it's own unique "beauty" but besides that nothing else there.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:29 AM

432 posts, read 356,884 times
Nevada is drop dead ugly. Sure they have some pretty pockets(and yes those pockets are very scenic) but as a whole the state is so bland compared to the rest of the country. To everyone saything these states aren't meh states then I'd like to know which states are....? I will agree that Delaware and possibly SD shouldn't be on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or