U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:17 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times

Advertisements

Northern Ohio. If it wasn't such a far commute, I would live there in a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 11:13 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,311,930 times
So far Asheville has been very friendly and welcoming.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:21 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,444,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
People in North Carolina are very kind, contrary to what people might think after the whole HB2 fiasco, people in North Carolina are kind, caring, and rarely rude. It's not just the southerners either, the transplants I have met in North Raleigh are all very very kind people who always have a smile on their face! The rudest people I have met were transplants on the other hand but they were a very small group. If you are looking for kind, caring , compassionate, and happy people who will help even a stranger then NC is for you! This is all from my experience of course!
NC has its share of *******s like any state. Unfortunately most of them seem to be in the state government at the moment. Hopefully some of the biggest ones will be voted out.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:41 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,399,662 times
Also in Ohio I find people from the Appalachian region who have moved to Columbus to be incredibly kind, humble and genuine.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:15 PM

1,687 posts, read 987,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Interesting, the Mid-Atlantic seems to be a pretty happy place! Especially NOVA.
Must be a list from someone in nova.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:08 PM

21 posts, read 14,957 times
Hate to be "that guy", but I don't think you can correlate region with kindness. I'm from Southeast Philly and have met all sorts of people from all sorts of regions. In college, a lot of my friends have been from Western Pennsylvania. They seem very down-to-earth and relaxed, but hardworking as well. However, the nastiest people I've met in college have also been from Western Pennsylvania. One guy from Pittsburgh is extremely friendly encourages me to sit with him every time we meet in the cafeteria. Another guy from Pittsburgh loves to constantly mock me in conversation, until I broke off communication altogether when he started to get racist. I could bag on some rude people from my urban PA/NJ area too, but on the flip side, nobody can quite match the endearing friendliness of outspoken, brash Italian folks from NJ.

Every region has good and bad people, and if you keep open to socializing you WILL run into the good folks.

I do strongly believe that each region fosters different kinds of personalities (good and bad). For instance, a 'bad' person from Western PA might be that condescending, Type-A guy I mentioned earlier, while a 'bad' person from the west coast might be a stuck up, passive-aggressive hipster that looks down on everybody. Take a gander at this map from the American Psychological Association. It maps out various traits in the continental US.

Also, the person that listed Chester as a happy area..... I'm not quite sure about that. Everytime I visit Chester for a soccer game the entire police force is mobilized so the fans going to the stadium don't get shot passing through Chester.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:28 PM

28 posts, read 15,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
Hate to be "that guy", but I don't think you can correlate region with kindness. I'm from Southeast Philly and have met all sorts of people from all sorts of regions. In college, a lot of my friends have been from Western Pennsylvania. They seem very down-to-earth and relaxed, but hardworking as well. However, the nastiest people I've met in college have also been from Western Pennsylvania. One guy from Pittsburgh is extremely friendly encourages me to sit with him every time we meet in the cafeteria. Another guy from Pittsburgh loves to constantly mock me in conversation, until I broke off communication altogether when he started to get racist. I could bag on some rude people from my urban PA/NJ area too, but on the flip side, nobody can quite match the endearing friendliness of outspoken, brash Italian folks from NJ.

Every region has good and bad people, and if you keep open to socializing you WILL run into the good folks.

I do strongly believe that each region fosters different kinds of personalities (good and bad). For instance, a 'bad' person from Western PA might be that condescending, Type-A guy I mentioned earlier, while a 'bad' person from the west coast might be a stuck up, passive-aggressive hipster that looks down on everybody. Take a gander at this map from the American Psychological Association. It maps out various traits in the continental US.

Also, the person that listed Chester as a happy area..... I'm not quite sure about that. Everytime I visit Chester for a soccer game the entire police force is mobilized so the fans going to the stadium don't get shot passing through Chester.
Definitely agree with Minnesota being friendly, they don't say "Minnesota nice" for nothing!

Old 07-16-2016, 02:58 PM

1,244 posts, read 820,042 times
Overall every place is friendly. If you can't find friendly people you may simple just need to look into the mirror and reevaluate yourself.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:31 PM

24,963 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:

I think he probably meant Chester County or West Chester.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:52 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to see those maps broken down by county rather than state. A lot of these traits, while following a statewide trend, still vary significantly within the states. There are parts of Ohio that are "Temperamental and Uninhibited" compared to some of the "Friendly and Conventional" parts of New York State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or