Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:01 AM

28 posts, read 21,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
I live in Nashville and have to disagree. It is a very tourist-friendly city which is designed to make visitors feel warm and welcome, but the people who occupy the city are very closed-off and insular.

Austin is one of the friendlier, happier places I've been. Especially the younger crowd. Unexpectedly friendly and welcoming.
That has not been my experience AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 02:31 AM

844 posts, read 1,684,660 times
Mayberry, NC

Old 07-14-2016, 03:37 AM

998 posts, read 1,238,703 times
Three counties in Virginia....I'm a transplant to this beautiful state and LOVE it!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:57 AM

247 posts, read 333,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formely_A_Commodore View Post
That has not been my experience AT ALL.
It's been the experience of many:

Tn Is The Worst State In The Us : I Hate Living In Tennessee Story & Experience

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Some pretty colorful, over-the-top comments, but you'll find some common themes-unfriendly, closed-off, and fake. Don't mean to put a damper on your thread, as I think it's wonderful, but I think people are giving the city a reputation it hasn't earned and can't live up to, and they end up being very disappointed (myself included). I'm glad you had a better experience.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:39 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 03:32 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,319,994 times
Tidewater region of Virginia. Visited for a week, in the non touristy areas. I could see some of that stereotypical southern hospitality/friendliness but that area also has a fairly good economy, which contributes to happiness.

The surrounding suburbs of salt lake city have a lot of friendly, seemingly happy mormons.

But i think smaller towns further away from urban centers (the rat race) will have happier people.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:40 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,538,599 times
Quote:

Some pretty colorful, over-the-top comments, but you'll find some common themes-unfriendly, closed-off, and fake. Don't mean to put a damper on your thread, as I think it's wonderful, but I think people are giving the city a reputation it hasn't earned and can't live up to, and they end up being very disappointed (myself included). I'm glad you had a better experience.
I think that was about the nastiest thread I ever read about a particular state or city. Just so hateful. I never seen anything like it

When I read posts with language like they "hate" this place and the people are so rude and unfriendly and hateful, everything is bad and nothing is good, it's so hard to make friends and whine and pissed and moan about the place they hate, I begin to believe that it's most likely the person who is complaining is the one who is so difficult to get along with.

The nasty newcomer probably really never wanted to move to the new city or state in the 1st place, so they already had a sour and nasty attitude about the new city when they got there. Then they give out those negative and nasty vibes and people pick up on them and more than likely will distance their selves from that particular newcomer.

95% of the time, people will treat you the,way you treat them. If you're nice and friendly people will generally be nice and friendly to you. If you are reserved and stand-offish and seem like you don't want to be bothered,
that's how most people will respond to you.

I been all over the South, Midwest and Southwest, and everybody is all basically the same, you're gonna be treated the way you treat them.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:38 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 05:34 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,060,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formely_A_Commodore View Post
With things being so hostile in recent media news, I decided to focus on the exact opposite, talking about places in the USA where things are great in terms of relations between people. Places in the USA where there is a lot of good will, friendliness, and happiness among people. I am talking about places in the USA where people living inside of that state or community generally get along well, like each other, look after each other, and are kind towards each other. A few places come to my mind:

1 - South Carolina.

I have ALWAYS had a good experience in South Carolina and despite the Dylan Roof fiasco, it seems like things there were relatively tame. A lot of people were friendly, folks of all colors managed to get along and thrive, and I have found the people of South Carolina to be very friendly. Some of the kindest and most lovable people I have met in my entire life were from the state of South Carolina. Truly a golden example of Southern Hospitality, such respectful people!

2 - Tennessee.

So much kindness to go around in Nashville, which is also a very affordable city. It seemed like everyone just seemed to get along and there was no hatred or animosity there. Making southern states look good, I love my home state (ya I am biased like that). The people of Tennessee truly live up to the reputation of kind hearted southerners.

3 - Minnesota.

They don't say Minnesota nice for nothing, love how they take a genuine interest in others. I truly think some upper midwest states can give southern states a run for their money in regards to kindness. So many people I knew who moved there when they were younger fit in fine and assimilated into the culture, regardless of skin color or ethnic heritage.

4 - Wisconsin.

Mostly like Minnesota, everyone just seemed so friendly there for some reason. I do not know why but people there just seemed so upbeat and happy for the most part.

5 - Ohio.

WTF right? I know the state gets a bad reputation but most Ohio people I've met have been easygoing and cool. I guess I got lucky but people there do seem to be relatively laid back and accepting.
Um...not if you're from IL. Then you're a FISH or FIB...

Old 07-14-2016, 05:49 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,377,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Here is a recent take on the happiest places in the US. It's based on marriage and divorce rates, life expectancy, frequency of exercise, unemployment rates, and affordability (the ratio between median income and the minimum income needed to afford basic necessities). I'd guess that with all that, the intangibles like friendliness, generosity, charity, and all the rest, are a lot easier to come by.

In order, they are:

Loudoun County, Virginia (metro DC)

Delaware County, Ohio (metro Columbus)

Fairfax County, Virginia (metro DC)

Carver County, Minnesota (metro Minneapolis)

York County, Virginia (Tidewater VA)

Chester County, Pennsylvania (metro Philly)

Howard County, Maryland (metro Baltimore)

Ozaukee County, Wisconsin (metro Milwaukee)

Douglas County, Colorado (metro Denver)

Geauga County, Ohio (metro Cleveland)

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/happ...ces-in-america
Interesting, the Mid-Atlantic seems to be a pretty happy place! Especially NOVA.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:52 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,377,149 times
People in North Carolina are very kind, contrary to what people might think after the whole HB2 fiasco, people in North Carolina are kind, caring, and rarely rude. It's not just the southerners either, the transplants I have met in North Raleigh are all very very kind people who always have a smile on their face! The rudest people I have met were transplants on the other hand but they were a very small group. If you are looking for kind, caring , compassionate, and happy people who will help even a stranger then NC is for you! This is all from my experience of course!

Old 07-14-2016, 10:57 PM

28 posts, read 21,808 times
Quote:

Well those are personal experiences on forums but when I was in TN, I saw nothing but love and acceptance for people of all kinds. Maybe my home state has changed and I apologize for your bad experience.

All I can say is, the only southern state I've found to be very hostile, angry, and full of rude people is Georgia. I could sense that people there were all frustrated and angry with each other. Even though this thread here is from a relationship type of reddit, the post about "bougie" culture in the state was spot on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/seduction/c..._with_georgia/

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.