Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:33 PM

28 posts, read 22,098 times

Advertisements

With things being so hostile in recent media news, I decided to focus on the exact opposite, talking about places in the USA where things are great in terms of relations between people. Places in the USA where there is a lot of good will, friendliness, and happiness among people. I am talking about places in the USA where people living inside of that state or community generally get along well, like each other, look after each other, and are kind towards each other. A few places come to my mind:

1 - South Carolina.

I have ALWAYS had a good experience in South Carolina and despite the Dylan Roof fiasco, it seems like things there were relatively tame. A lot of people were friendly, folks of all colors managed to get along and thrive, and I have found the people of South Carolina to be very friendly. Some of the kindest and most lovable people I have met in my entire life were from the state of South Carolina. Truly a golden example of Southern Hospitality, such respectful people!

2 - Tennessee.

So much kindness to go around in Nashville, which is also a very affordable city. It seemed like everyone just seemed to get along and there was no hatred or animosity there. Making southern states look good, I love my home state (ya I am biased like that). The people of Tennessee truly live up to the reputation of kind hearted southerners.

3 - Minnesota.

They don't say Minnesota nice for nothing, love how they take a genuine interest in others. I truly think some upper midwest states can give southern states a run for their money in regards to kindness. So many people I knew who moved there when they were younger fit in fine and assimilated into the culture, regardless of skin color or ethnic heritage.

4 - Wisconsin.

Mostly like Minnesota, everyone just seemed so friendly there for some reason. I do not know why but people there just seemed so upbeat and happy for the most part.

5 - Ohio.

WTF right? I know the state gets a bad reputation but most Ohio people I've met have been easygoing and cool. I guess I got lucky but people there do seem to be relatively laid back and accepting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 09:37 PM

3,882 posts, read 4,534,690 times
We live in South Orange County in California and it's pretty affluent, but even where we live (in a working class apartment complex) people are very nice.

However it's getting pretty crazy crowded and expensive here, no hope of owning for us unless we win the lottery now, that's for sure. I'll keep your list in mind if we ever want to get out of here.

p.s. when we've visited the Upper Peninsula of Michigan a couple of times I was always delighted with what sweethearts the locals we met were.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:54 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
From my experiences much of the Southeast (Florida excluded), most of the Midwest and parts of the Rockies (Denver I found to be quite friendly) are some good examples.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:01 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Ohio is full of polite, kind and easy going people. Very much a place where all people need is cold beer and good sports to have a good time

Old 07-13-2016, 03:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
As a recent transplant to Ohio, I agree the people here are very friendly; genuine and unpretentious.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:12 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
I will say that people in states like Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota tend to be very happy and very content.

I would not say they are friendly until one gets to know them, but they are extremely content in that part of the country.

I find that once I started to meet people in that part of the country, I liked it much more. They are also very interesting, intelligent people.

In those states most people have a very large support system from family and also close-knit friends. They also have a large network typically from the churches they attend.

There also tend to be alot more neighborhood groups and a much stronger sense of community in that part of the country.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:36 PM

28 posts, read 22,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
From my experiences much of the Southeast (Florida excluded), most of the Midwest and parts of the Rockies (Denver I found to be quite friendly) are some good examples.
I strongly disagree, while the state does have parts like Miami which can come off as unfriendly at times, I have found the people of Florida to be a very fun loving and inclusive group of people.

To be honest, the only southern state I have found to be an exception to the rule is Georgia. I have not met more rude, arrogant, bullish, two-faced, and judgmental group of people in any other state but Georgia. To be fair, I was mainly in Atlanta and Athens, big cities and college towns do have that reputation but it was much worse in Georgia. I found the mood in the state to be very hostile and hateful, the locals were also far from inclusive and very difficult to get along with.

I have always found it hard to get along with the people of Georgia whether they be good ol southern boy types wearing camo or the snobby Atlanta area residents who practically hate everyone not a part of their tight knit social circles.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:56 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
We live in South Orange County in California and it's pretty affluent, but even where we live (in a working class apartment complex) people are very nice.

However it's getting pretty crazy crowded and expensive here, no hope of owning for us unless we win the lottery now, that's for sure. I'll keep your list in mind if we ever want to get out of here.

p.s. when we've visited the Upper Peninsula of Michigan a couple of times I was always delighted with what sweethearts the locals we met were.
even the working class is nice? as if they are inherently mean or something?

Old 07-13-2016, 06:11 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Here is a recent take on the happiest places in the US. It's based on marriage and divorce rates, life expectancy, frequency of exercise, unemployment rates, and affordability (the ratio between median income and the minimum income needed to afford basic necessities). I'd guess that with all that, the intangibles like friendliness, generosity, charity, and all the rest, are a lot easier to come by.

In order, they are:

Loudoun County, Virginia (metro DC)

Delaware County, Ohio (metro Columbus)

Fairfax County, Virginia (metro DC)

Carver County, Minnesota (metro Minneapolis)

York County, Virginia (Tidewater VA)

Chester County, Pennsylvania (metro Philly)

Howard County, Maryland (metro Baltimore)

Ozaukee County, Wisconsin (metro Milwaukee)

Douglas County, Colorado (metro Denver)

Geauga County, Ohio (metro Cleveland)

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/happ...ces-in-america

Old 07-13-2016, 06:34 PM

247 posts, read 336,185 times
I live in Nashville and have to disagree. It is a very tourist-friendly city which is designed to make visitors feel warm and welcome, but the people who occupy the city are very closed-off and insular.

Austin is one of the friendlier, happier places I've been. Especially the younger crowd. Unexpectedly friendly and welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.