Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite major United States international airport?
Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport 26 17.33%
Los Angeles International Airport 3 2.00%
Chicago O'Hare International Airport 9 6.00%
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport 16 10.67%
Denver International Airport 13 8.67%
New York John F. Kennedy International Airport 4 2.67%
San Francisco International Airport 4 2.67%
Las Vegas McCarran International Airport 2 1.33%
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport 6 4.00%
Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport 8 5.33%
Charlotte Douglas International Airport 6 4.00%
Miami International Airport 1 0.67%
Orlando International Airport 1 0.67%
Newark Liberty International Airport 3 2.00%
Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport 6 4.00%
Boston Logan International Airport 5 3.33%
Detroit Metropolitan Airport 7 4.67%
Philadelphia International Airport 6 4.00%
New York LaGuardia Airport 2 1.33%
Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport 1 0.67%
Baltimore–Washington International Airport 0 0%
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport 4 2.67%
Chicago Midway International Airport 0 0%
Salt Lake City International Airport 1 0.67%
Washington Dulles International Airport 0 0%
San Diego International Airport 4 2.67%
Honolulu International Airport 3 2.00%
Tampa International Airport 4 2.67%
Portland International Airport 5 3.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:38 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times

Advertisements

I didn't vote but Sea-Tac would be among my top ones. Maybe I'm a homer too.

Access is a huge factor. Sea-Tac has a train to Downtown every six minutes at rush hour and every 15 late in the evening. It's also such a small property that you can actually walk to a public street with its hotel row, via the same skybridges that go to the rail station. It's continuing to upgrade with two big current projects, but has also had a lot of upgrades recently. It seems to handle the current activity level relatively well...having grown traffic massively in this decade...going from about 31 million to 46 million if I recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 01:20 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,128,580 times
Where's Ontario International Airport (Ontario, CA) or Palm Springs International Airport (Palm Springs, CA)?

Old 01-21-2018, 03:12 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
JFK

It is literally the modern day Ellis Island.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:28 PM

375 posts, read 331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
JFK

It is literally the modern day Ellis Island.
JFK is one of the more inconvenient airports in the country. Driving to it (especially from Jersey) is always a battle and I had numerous plane delays due to the crew being stuck in traffic.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:34 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
JFK is one of the more inconvenient airports in the country. Driving to it (especially from Jersey) is always a battle and I had numerous plane delays due to the crew being stuck in traffic.
That may be, but I've never felt a more spectacular introduction to America than being on a plane landing at JFK airport.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:20 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Who the hell voted for LaGuardia and why?
Just curious...

Old 01-22-2018, 08:32 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I may be wrong because I’ve never owned a car before: but driving to any large airport seems like it would be a huge PITA (especially in NYC). Going by transit LGA is easily the most annoying one to get to. Even though it’s the closest to Manhattan, it has the worst transit options which makes no sense. Even EWR is more accessible than LGA.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I am a Delta frequent flyer so I am very familiar with all their hubs. To be honest, I am not a big fan of Atlanta. It is fairly spacious and easy to navigate, even given its huge number of travelers so I appreciate that, but it's not special in any other regard. Kind of overbright and sterile.

My vote went to Minneapolis-St. Paul. It is the closest thing to a major airport achieving a sense of coziness. Relatively low ceilings in the concourses, carpeted hallways, and generally quiet, calm, and relaxed travelers put it over for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I can't believe LaGuardia even made the list. What a crap hole. It's a 3rd world country all by itself.
LGA gets a lot of flack, but since Delta remodeled their terminal, it is quite nice. When it is not crowded, it is downright pleasant. And very nice little modern bistro-like bars to have a beer or glass of wine and more than decent food options.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Another vote for Washington National (sorry, can't use the other name).
One of the nice things about Washington National is the frequency of flights between there and New York Idlewild. (Sorry, can't use the other name.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood is the best airport in South Florida IMO.
I can't imagine holding this opinion if you have ever flown out of Palm Beach International. IMO, the best that can be said for Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood is that it isn't Miami.

As for me, I would say that my favorites on the OP's list are Denver, Tampa, and Atlanta, probably in that order. Maybe it's home-town loyalty, but I also like BWI. The A and B concourses are very well designed, especially with the connector concourse that has the restaurants facing the huge windows overlooking the airfield. I also like how the exits from the concourses lead directly down to baggage claim, instead of exiting next to the security checkpoint and then going down to baggage claim. Does any other airport do that? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:12 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Direct flights are what matters to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.