Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite major United States international airport?
Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport 26 17.33%
Los Angeles International Airport 3 2.00%
Chicago O'Hare International Airport 9 6.00%
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport 16 10.67%
Denver International Airport 13 8.67%
New York John F. Kennedy International Airport 4 2.67%
San Francisco International Airport 4 2.67%
Las Vegas McCarran International Airport 2 1.33%
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport 6 4.00%
Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport 8 5.33%
Charlotte Douglas International Airport 6 4.00%
Miami International Airport 1 0.67%
Orlando International Airport 1 0.67%
Newark Liberty International Airport 3 2.00%
Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport 6 4.00%
Boston Logan International Airport 5 3.33%
Detroit Metropolitan Airport 7 4.67%
Philadelphia International Airport 6 4.00%
New York LaGuardia Airport 2 1.33%
Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport 1 0.67%
Baltimore–Washington International Airport 0 0%
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport 4 2.67%
Chicago Midway International Airport 0 0%
Salt Lake City International Airport 1 0.67%
Washington Dulles International Airport 0 0%
San Diego International Airport 4 2.67%
Honolulu International Airport 3 2.00%
Tampa International Airport 4 2.67%
Portland International Airport 5 3.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:24 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,675,909 times

Advertisements

PHL gets a bad rap but their customs is one of the better in the country IMHO

Outside of the obvious benefits of direct flights, coming into PHL relative to my experiences at JFK, EWR, MIA and LAX have always been better, especially since the new A West and Customs concourse has been built

even my Global entry was a sh$t show at JFK a few weeks ago right before snowmageddon (not weather related when there)

granted its less busy but still sizable

also the new terminal B may be one of the best in the country for amenities at every gate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 01:29 PM

376 posts, read 328,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I may be wrong because I’ve never owned a car before: but driving to any large airport seems like it would be a huge PITA (especially in NYC). Going by transit LGA is easily the most annoying one to get to. Even though it’s the closest to Manhattan, it has the worst transit options which makes no sense. Even EWR is more accessible than LGA.
In the time and age of Uber/Lyft you bother taking transit to the airport? Dragging your suit case to and from? Not me at least. I do own a car, but rarely do I ever take it to the airport (for obvious parking reasons) but I do take taxis/Uber/Lyft whenever I need to fly and I can tell you JFK is a bigger PITA than LGA by a long margin.

And not just for me to arrive there. I never had the airline announce to me that the plane was delayed because the entire crew is stuck in traffic at LGA, but it has happened several times at JFK. Nothing more annoying than that.

Though LGA is a dump, and I much rather be in JFK than that foul smelling excuse of an airport.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:57 PM

8,742 posts, read 6,664,611 times
I guess if you're older or out of shape. It's not hard to shoulder a carry-on bag for a mile or so.

Also, why not save some money and get a little exercise?

Old 01-22-2018, 10:40 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,735,962 times
This old poll is flawed. The lack of the 10th largest US airport (by passengers) Seattle/Tacoma, is a major oversight. And as others have posted, it is a fine airport...compact, yes, but modern and easy to get around with a concourse subway. The main terminal is glorious with huge windows to the sky to view planes taking off. Plus an ongoing effort to improve the facilities, both in the new International Terminal (uc), and the new Alaska North Satellite (uc).

In 2016, Seattle/Tacoma had more passengers than the following hub airports:

Phoenix Sky Harbor
Miami International
Orlando International
Houston (Bush)
Newark International
Minneapolis/St. Paul International
Boston Logan
Detroit Metropolitan
Philadelphia International
LaGuardia NY

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-22-2018 at 10:55 PM..

Old 01-23-2018, 07:33 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,468,057 times
I absolutely love flying out of Terminal 4 of JFK. Now JFK itself is a crappy airport. Not to mention the staff are rude and speak such trashy English that I, a native English speaker with New York roots, have a hard time understanding.

But! JFK is the international gateway to the US, and seeing so many different planes and people from all over the world is just really awesome and exciting to me. I absolutely love it and look forward to it every time.

Now as far as convienence and ease of use, I’d have to say PHL. It’s easily accessible from my apartment (15 mins) and I’ve flown out of there dozens of times with absolutely no issues. A lot of people knock it, but I haven’t experienced any of the issues others complain about in the 7.5 years I’ve been using it.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:50 AM

376 posts, read 328,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I guess if you're older or out of shape. It's not hard to shoulder a carry-on bag for a mile or so.

Also, why not save some money and get a little exercise?
I see no reason to save some (little bit of) money for the incredible inconvenience of dragging my suitcase (or suitcases) through PT when I can sit nicely and comfortably all the way to my destination.

I assumed this was pretty much what everyone did as well. But I guess if the money is that valuable to you, then by all means suffer through that.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:52 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,773,509 times
Of this list, these are the only ones I've been to:

LAX
ORD
DEN
SFO
LAS
PHX
MSP
DTW
SAN

Ironically, my business does business out of PDX, but I have never been there. Out of the 6 airports we work out of, PDX is probably the fastest from plane to cargo office.

My experience with SAN is limited to the rental car pickup/return, I was taken there after losing my rental car keys in the ocean (I rented the car at LAX).

My favorite of these is ORD. It isn't nearly as inefficient as its made out to be, especially if you are flying AA. I also had a UA flight out of there once that was the shortest walk ever.

I accept LAX for what it is, yes, getting in is a insurmountable chore, but the whole world is flying in and out of there, so it is to be expected. The walk times aren't nearly as bad as they could be IMO.

I'm at DEN all the time, and I really can't stand the place. Pena Blvd is a pain to drive (two lane road 3/4 of the way, drivers hogging the left lane, and going far too slow in both lanes), the airport itself is easy to get lost in, and the baggage claim areas are always extremely clogged with people. I NEVER have security problems at DEN, but I do feel that they follow the rules the most amount of time.

I barely remember SFO, but I have been there a few times. MSP was only for a diversion, but we took a different flight out of there than the one we came in on (pure luck). The part I saw seemed nice.

LAS is kind of confusing to get in/out of, and the walk times are pretty long.

PHX looks very OLD, and seems piecemealed together. The rental cars are pretty far from the terminal. Flying out of PHX at night is a very beautiful experience.

DTW is complete organized chaos. The security line is absolutely ridiculous, when I was last there (2.5 months ago) it went the entire length of the check-in area. Security follows almost none of the expected TSA rules, it's basically a bunch of middle-age women screaming at you and hitting you with invisible batons to get you through as fast as possible. Didn't have to remove my shoes, didn't have to remove my laptop from its bag, just pretty much walked right through. After all that screaming and yelling and cram of people, getting into the concourse is pure tranquility by comparison.

My favorite airport in the country is GEG, so easy in every way. ONT is very good too, surprisingly underrated IMO. I've been to COS (but not for a flight), and it seemed like it would be fun to fly out of (it's very small/quiet).

Old 01-23-2018, 12:33 PM

505 posts, read 497,348 times
I don't seem to dislike LAX as much as everyone else seems to. Compared to when I flew into it in 2015, the remodels in the terminals have made it much nicer. Once it gets the People Mover rolling and connected to the Metro, I won't even have to drive and park there anymore (which will make it so much better).

That said, I voted for Honolulu simply because it felt like such a throwback to the 1940's with the architecture of the terminals and I loved the open-air walkways.

Also partial to PDX, just because there's something comforting about flying back home during the holidays from LA and having a layover in Portland before flying back to my hometown's little regional airport.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:51 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,172,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I see no reason to save some (little bit of) money for the incredible inconvenience of dragging my suitcase (or suitcases) through PT when I can sit nicely and comfortably all the way to my destination.

I assumed this was pretty much what everyone did as well. But I guess if the money is that valuable to you, then by all means suffer through that.
Some people actually maintain their physical fitness and vigor and actually desire to move their bodies, even with the minor burden of luggage, especially before, after, and during the mandated sedentism that air travel forces by strapping you into a claustrophobic plane seat for hours on end. Money has nothing to do with it.

In Atlanta it is cool to see all the people who choose to walk the length of the underground, even ignoring the automated walkways, rather than take the tram.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:07 PM

405 posts, read 471,129 times
I actually don't mind flying out of Terminal 4 at JFK. It got re-done pretty recently (within last 5-10 years) and is pretty nice/clean most of the time. I avoid LaGuardia like the plague unless a flight going out of there is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than JFK, which is a rare occurrence.

I liked Tampa's airport as well, and although not major, Long Beach Airport in CA is a very convenient, quick, easily accessible airport. I liked LAX, but thought it was a little confusing/crowded, maybe because I was there during peak travel time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.