Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 11:12 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times

Advertisements

NYC?

I mean, MUCH bigger version, but honestly, Ithaca is a tiny hipster town with Northeastern feel, so the other Northeastern cities with big hipster/intellectual populations would be the closest analogues.

Ann Arbor doesn't feel like Ithaca, IMO. Yeah, they're both college towns, but AA just has a different feel. Flat, newer, much bigger, Midwest, part of Metro Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 11:19 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You think Ann Arbor/Detroit is a bigger version of Ithaca?
As username said, Ann Arbor itself is a bigger, similar version of Ithaca and if he/she were open to going to Detroit for the sporting events, it would be a good fit. Ferndale is a Detroit suburb with a liberal rep as well.

Ann Arbor is a part of its own metro, but is a part of the Detroit CSA. It may have changed recently though.

Ithaca has a mix of hipster and hippy, depending on where in the city/area.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:40 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Yes, because sports wise there is nothing in the winter other than UW hoops. I'm a sports diehard. It's why I specifically mentioned 3 teams. Cleveland would be a better option than Seattle because of that.
Well I originally suggested Boston; it's a pretty sports-y city.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:41 AM

538 posts, read 658,798 times
Quote:
Well I originally suggested Boston; it's a pretty sports-y city.
That is exactly why I liked your suggestion, though I don't know how clean I would consider it, and the COL is astronomical.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:41 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As username said, Ann Arbor itself is a bigger, similar version of Ithaca and if he/she were open to going to Detroit for the sporting events, it would be a good fit. Ferndale is a Detroit suburb with a liberal rep as well.

Ann Arbor is a part of its own metro, but is a part of the Detroit CSA. It may have changed recently though.

Ithaca has a mix of hipster and hippy, depending on where in the city/area.
He said Ann Arbor was a clone...basically a lateral move from one quintessential college town to another. And I don't see Detroit as a bigger version of Ithaca at all, although it meets the OP's sports criteria which is pretty important to him.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:44 AM

538 posts, read 658,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC?

I mean, MUCH bigger version, but honestly, Ithaca is a tiny hipster town with Northeastern feel, so the other Northeastern cities with big hipster/intellectual populations would be the closest analogues.

Ann Arbor doesn't feel like Ithaca, IMO. Yeah, they're both college towns, but AA just has a different feel. Flat, newer, much bigger, Midwest, part of Metro Detroit.
I grew up on Long Island, so I have been to NYC 100s of times for various things. I love it, will always root for the NYC sports teams. But it's not the cleanest, and feels overwhelming from a living perspective. I'm not trying to knock it at all. I love it, and if the right opportunity presented itself I would definitely go back. However, it isn't my 1st pick.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:03 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
If sports mean that much to you, you should probably start off with a list of cities that have as many sports teams as you'd want and then pick the cleanest and most progressive one out of those. OR, look to see which of those cities has a section known for those qualities and target living in that part of the city.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:13 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
He said Ann Arbor was a clone...basically a lateral move from one quintessential college town to another. And I don't see Detroit as a bigger version of Ithaca at all, although it meets the OP's sports criteria which is pretty important to him.
Yeah, Ann Arbor has about 110,000 people while Ithaca has about 30,000(with 50,000 if you include the town of Ithaca). So, it isn't that much bigger.

It looks like Boston, Minneapolis and Denver appear to be the best bets.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:51 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Hey, Ithaca has Ithaca College perennial power Division III football, Cornell hockey, and, um, wait, what's the third one again?

Old 07-13-2016, 02:52 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
That is exactly why I liked your suggestion, though I don't know how clean I would consider it, and the COL is astronomical.
Cities where people want to live are usually expensive. I would consider that for most your salary is going to be higher than it is where you are now, which is how millions of others in those metro areas manage to live somewhat comfortably...Since Boston seems to fit best (in my opinion) I would put aside the fear of cost of living and take a closer look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.