U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:45 PM

473 posts, read 358,662 times

Advertisements

For me, personally, it was 25-29. By then I was living with my now-husband in a "luxury" condo with views of the Empire State Building. I had few responsibilities and fewer expenses and had made a really close group of friends in a similar life situation. I loved that time in my life.

That said, even now, I enjoy city life. Maybe not the partying aspect but we still get sitters and go out to nice restaurants and other city events. I didn't really enjoy that scene even in my 20s so life really hasn't changed all that much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 10:00 PM

28 posts, read 15,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
For me, personally, it was 25-29. By then I was living with my now-husband in a "luxury" condo with views of the Empire State Building. I had few responsibilities and fewer expenses and had made a really close group of friends in a similar life situation. I loved that time in my life.

That said, even now, I enjoy city life. Maybe not the partying aspect but we still get sitters and go out to nice restaurants and other city events. I didn't really enjoy that scene even in my 20s so life really hasn't changed all that much
I guess I was mainly talking about the party and nightlife scene.

I've heard certain bars in NYC do not allow you in if you are over 30.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:30 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formely_A_Commodore View Post
That seems a bit far-fetched and certainly not intelligent from an economic perspective.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:36 AM

6,851 posts, read 7,797,618 times
When you're retired. You have the two things you need most to enjoy life: time and money.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 AM

473 posts, read 358,662 times
Quote:
I guess I was mainly talking about the party and nightlife scene.

I have never encountered that (and would guess that would be clubs more than bars). But truly, I remember sneaking into clubs as young as 17 ... so by the time I was 25, I was already too old for that scene. The best time to party in a city would be in your prime partying years ... but that's such a small snippet of city life. Plus, NY isn't even that great a party city ... at least not compared to Miami or Vegas.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:47 AM

989 posts, read 593,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree and would extend that well past the 30s into the 40s, 50s and even 60s. Older people are much younger in mind/spirit of previous generations and I see that continuing for the foreseeable future.
Agree completely. To me, there are four natural stages.

1) There is the "post-college" times which are great for living in the city.

2) Then you have a family, which is better in the suburbs, frankly, even through high school. Suburban high schools are terrific.

3) Then move back to the city from age 50-60 to squeeze out some fun semi-golden years while your income is very high and you can take advantage of great restaurants, rooftop $18 cocktails, theatre, etc.

4) Then retire someplace else in your 60s.

For the record, I am in the later years of Stage 2. Looking forward to Stage 3 very much.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:37 AM

2,321 posts, read 3,002,075 times
All you youngins have some growing up to do. Though I hate and refuse to live in any big city, I have lived/do live in coastal resort towns full of nightlife such as Ocean City, MD, jaco Costa Rica and South FL and can assure you that in all these places I can have more fun now at 48 then I did when in my 20's. I have a bit more money (though still broke but with more responsibilities) so I can now actually afford to drink rum drinks, or beer, or both till closing time and beyond. I still have a bad habit of closing down the bars when I go out - no matter what time I start!. 48 year old me had just as much fun going out and about in Jaco this year as I had when I lived there last in 2011 which was no different then when I first got there in 2003 in my mid 30's. I picked up right where I left off!

Walking around the bar/restaurant district in Medellin Colombia with my wife and her niece we get pulled into all the clubs, I'm sure because of two attractive ladies and what they perceive as a "rich" gringo (I can assure you the rich part aint true). Yes, NY probably has some clubs where a balding, middle aged redneck with a slight beer gut definitely would not be allowed in But screw them. Never had any desire to go to those snotty kinds of places to begin with! Actually never had any desire to go to NYC anyway's.

The absolute only thing that isn't as fun anymore are the hangovers, because they last a tad bit longer and are a bit stronger. Or perhaps it's just that the bars I go to start clearing out their old and bad drinks in the last hour! Yea! That's it! I'll find new locations for the last hour!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:30 PM

28 posts, read 15,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
I have never encountered that (and would guess that would be clubs more than bars). But truly, I remember sneaking into clubs as young as 17 ... so by the time I was 25, I was already too old for that scene. The best time to party in a city would be in your prime partying years ... but that's such a small snippet of city life. Plus, NY isn't even that great a party city ... at least not compared to Miami or Vegas.
what age would that be?

Old 07-15-2016, 06:55 PM

990 posts, read 498,647 times
I lived in Lincoln Park in Chicago in my early to mid twenties. Prime party years and I didn't care that I had little money. It was awesome. As an adult I am happy to have access to the culture a city provides but a nice yard for my kids and dogs. I think I'd like to be more urban again when my kids are grown, but I'm pretty adaptable.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:00 PM

796 posts, read 466,375 times
Quote:
Whether you're a college student in the 18-22 age range, a post grad in his 20s, or a guy in his 30s established in his career. I wanted to know, in your opinion, what is the best age range to be in in order to truly enjoy all of city life that a lot of America's major cities have to offer? (nightlife, hobbies, events, etc.)
Any age, if you have the right attitude. Life is what you make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.