U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 3,073,827 times

Advertisements

In Urban areas. Doesn't play so well in the suburbs and rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:43 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,232,765 times
On a side note don't know if this has already been stated since I'm coming 3 pages in, but I think it's great that some one has invented a game that has people that would usually be sitting down, hours on their couches and in their bedrooms, outside walking miles and miles. This game is really making people drop some pounds, especially in this southern humidity in Raleigh.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:09 AM

1,683 posts, read 839,478 times
LA has been absolutely awesome. The beach areas are a gold mine. I caught a blastoise there over the weekend. I work in Koreatown and at lunchtime there are three pokestops within close proximity (Wilshire/Vermont) and people put lures in them. So you have like 30+ people around the intersection Pokemoning.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:20 AM

3,739 posts, read 3,851,539 times
NYC for sure. There are triple/quad PokeStop lures running literally 24/7 in places like Central park or Bryant park. The whole Central Park is lit up in lures.

NYC at night atm. This spot is running quad lures into triple lures nearby, so 7 lures in the immediate area:

Old 07-14-2016, 01:35 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,701,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
LA has been absolutely awesome. The beach areas are a gold mine. I caught a blastoise there over the weekend. I work in Koreatown and at lunchtime there are three pokestops within close proximity (Wilshire/Vermont) and people put lures in them. So you have like 30+ people around the intersection Pokemoning.
Santa Monica is great too

Old 07-14-2016, 01:49 PM

379 posts, read 204,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
LOL. First of all, this is the best game ever. I'm obsessed. So I'll partially explain things for those who don't know:

The game relies on two key places: Pokestops and Gyms. Now both of these are locations shared by Niantic's other game called Ingress, which collected map data from Google to name key landmarks and other places where people may congregate, to locate these stops. Now many of these places and "landmarks" are submitted by the users of Ingress. You need Pokestops to get Pokeballs needed to actually catch Pokemon, along with other items. Gyms are needed to battle other players and support other team members.

Because these locations are based on places of congregation (think stadiums, actual gyms, convention centers, etc.) and landmarks (think memorial benches, gardens, and other places of interest), and the need to walk around to play the game appropriately, a place like NYC is best fit for the game if your goal is to gym battle.

Now the downside to a place like NYC is that NYC is heavily urbanized, we all know this. Niantic has different types of pokemon spawn in different types of areas. Since NYC is almost solely urban with a lack of open space areas a few certain types of pokemon would spawn in a lot of its neighborhoods. To be able to "catch em all" one would have to go to parks, seaside/river locations, industrial areas, mountains/forests, go at nighttime, go to desert areas, in order to really find all the types relatively easily. NYC isn't in the easiest of access to forest/mountain areas or deserts, which will limit one's ability to get the types of pokemon that spawn in these areas. NYC's heavily urban disposition really only benefits urban-spawning pokemon which frankly pop up in every city, the only benefit for NYC is the concentration of Pokestops/gyms in a walking distance.

So in my humble opinion, I will vote Los Angeles to be the best city. Southern California has an easy access to the beach which will find water pokemon, along with the desert, tall mountains, heavily urban pockets, industrial areas like Long Beach, and parks. So Los Angeles and San Diego should be the best two cities for this game. Very dense cities in the Northeast could also work as my second opinion, like NYC and Boston.

I live in Tucson and the game has been fun, I can find most Pokemon but I cannot find water type pokemon easily (I still can but it's hard) because, well, I'm in a desert. This is another reason why I nominated SoCal is because it is a lot like here but with an ocean.

As long as you live in a city with a large variety of areas then you should be good to go. Doesn't matter the size. If it's more walkable, it will be easier. The game only sucks if you live in rural areas.
What about Hawaii? All the landscape diversity of California, plus volcanoes to allow for fire types.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:53 PM

379 posts, read 204,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I've heard it's quickly turning into a rule 34 situation. Can't wait for the parents/religious backlash. That'll be some good entertainment right there.

Also seems like the next illogical step is to play it on dates. So you can be alone together...
Already ahead of you:
Despite Islamic Fatwa, Pokemon Go Is The Rage Of The Arab World
Pokémon Go declared forbidden and un-Islamic in Egypt as craze sweeps country - Mirror Online
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/vari...security-.html

Old 07-14-2016, 02:17 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,642,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
What about Hawaii? All the landscape diversity of California, plus volcanoes to allow for fire types.
Hawaii I'm not sure, doesn't really have a desert area equivalent. Here in Tucson we get lots of fire, rock, and ground types, so much it's often unbearable. So common that all the gym leader's Pokemon are fire types, usually Arcanines because they tend to level up really quickly.

Niantic took a lot of effort into planning where and when Pokemon will spawn. Clefairy is supposed to only come out on nights of the full moon (unless you get one from an egg) along with other fairy types, ghost types are impossible to find though cemeteries and industrial areas at night are rumored to be best, poisons/steel also for industrial areas, fires are on hot and sunny days (Tucson is practically the textbook definition of that), grass in parks, water at river beds, normals in urban areas, zubats at night, electric during storms, etc. To find a place that matches all of these frequently is hard to do. I should also note Pokemon spawn more often when you are in a concentrated area of Pokestops and gyms

Now, it's not to say you have to be in a desert on a hot and sunny day to find fire types. I have seen water types spawn randomly at my apartment, very far from one of the few river beds and lakes here in Tucson. But if you want them reliably rather than once in a blue moon then you'd want this area to exist.

Hawaii for the most part, has one climate. I know the Big Island and Maui have desert-like areas (think of where the lava flows through and it's just black rock, Big Island actually has a small desert area with brown dirt) but these are islands that A) don't have industrial areas as far as I'm concerned and B) lack urban areas. Now if Honolulu was on the Big Island then yes, but even then Honolulu lacks the industrial parks needed for poisons/ghosts/steel/electric.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:41 PM

226 posts, read 167,640 times
I love the photo of NYC.

We've done well at the parks along the river here in Eugene, OR. It will never be big-city crowded, but lots of people were out last night. There are so many miles of parks and bike paths, everyone gets a good workout too. I need my kids to tell me what the heck I'm catching, but I have fun anyway.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:55 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,243,858 times
I really hope they can keep the hype elevated over time by adding certain little updates or mini-games within the app, but overall I don't think anyone, Nintendo and Niantic included, knew that this would take off and become so popular the way it did. I've met more people in the last 7 days playing than I have altogether in the last year or so! My quiet little neighborhood park was looking much livelier all day yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or