Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:33 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times

Advertisements

I don't understand your comment - it is easy to buy land around Knoxville. You will of course need money but some areas are cheaper than others. What is your budget? If all you care about is growing enough produce to feed a family - that can be a couple of acres if the land is fertile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 2,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Sorry, but any purchasable land is already owned. US or Federal lands are not for sale. Difficulty in purchasing is certainly a perspective that may or may not be reinforced by the locale you purchase in. Most places you will have to do some sort of a title search or title insurance or some other details to complete. There is going to be a lot of paperwork associated with any such purchase and if you are purchasing raw land, may also include pages of information regarding mineral and water rights too, since you want to be out of urban areas where these topics tend to just be rolled into a house purchase.

It isn't really unwieldingly difficult, unless you want to review and understand every paragraph in the contracts. If not already required by the place you purchase your land in, you may want to consider legal council to give you the confidence of dealing with your requests.
I'm sorry what I meant by not already owned was that it would be purchasable. It seems as though there are many places where families are already settled and there is no one selling, so I was asking for places where that was not the case.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 2,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I don't understand your comment - it is easy to buy land around Knoxville. You will of course need money but some areas are cheaper than others. What is your budget? If all you care about is growing enough produce to feed a family - that can be a couple of acres if the land is fertile.
We have $160,000 to put directly towards purchasing land.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:47 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Land only?? You'll have plenty of choices.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:34 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
I'd check out West Virginia, specifically the Morgantown area. Seems to check off most of your wants. Near the Apps, rivers nearby, definitely four distinct seasons, interracial acceptance (college town), only about an hour from Pittsburgh, I would expect the area to have a decent school system since WVU is such a large employers, land,housing, and taxes are cheap. I'm sure you'd be able to find a nice affordable house with plenty of room to start a veggie garden. And to top it all off that area is absolutely beautiful during every season and truly a sight to behold in mid October. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.