U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 2,149 times

Advertisements

My significant other and I are looking for a place to reside permanently where we can raise a family. It doesn't need to meet all of this criteria but this is what the ideal location would have.

So here is what we would like:

~ near the Appalachians (we love hiking)
~very close to a river (we love kayaking)
~land which is easily cultivatable (we want to grow much of our own food as well as garden extensively)
~land that isn't hard to purchase (aka not all of it is already owned)
~at least relatively open to interracial couples (he is African American and I am Caucasian). This isn't so much an issue for us as it would be if our future children were to experience some sort of social stigma. We want to raise them somewhere where color doesn't really matter and they won't feel different or like they have to pick either the "black community" or the "white community."
~there is a larger city that is relatively nearby so that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get to the airport
~it experiences all four seasons (not just what feels like summer and winter)
~at least an average public education system

We would prefer a place along the Eastern side of the US but we would also love to hear about criteria-fitting places elsewhere in the world. We have done extensive searching and we like the geography of Eastern Tennessee and Eastern Kentucky, but I have family that has told me it is difficult to buy land in Tennessee, although I'm not sure about the accuracy of that statement anymore. I like the quality of Kentucky's public education system matched with the beautiful geography of its Eastern side but I don't know anything about the social scene there. Someone said I would do well in Vermont, but I haven't ever been there.

I saw this site and thought it would be a great place to get input. And like I said, it doesn't have to fit all of the criteria. Really the geography is what matters most as we're very active outdoors.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 03:34 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,406,193 times
I would say potentially Northern Kentucky/Cincy metro area.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:29 AM

34,421 posts, read 41,527,053 times
Asheville North Carolina fills most of your requirements..

https://www.exploreasheville.com/

https://www.exploreasheville.com/sto...al-adventures/

Old 07-15-2016, 08:08 AM

56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Perhaps Morgantown WV would be a good fit due being a college town in arguably the quintessential Appalachian state.

College towns in western VA like Blacksburg, Radford and Harrisonburg are worth looking into.

Ithaca NY may actually work due to being within the Appalachian Plateau and the Finger Lakes at the same time. It is a very good and diverse school district that covers rural areas outside of the city.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-15-2016 at 08:33 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 09:45 AM

2,322 posts, read 3,010,549 times
What about on the VA side of Washington DC. Near the Appalachians! Near a couple of scenic rivers (Potomac and Shenendoah)! Near a major City! 4 seasons! The only downfalls I could see would be price, because it would be so near to a lot. The Appalachians are really not far from DC.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 2,149 times
Thank y'all so much! We will definitely look into these places.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:07 AM

254 posts, read 215,340 times
Chattanooga and Knoxville come to mind specifically. Maybe Greenville or Spartanburg SC too.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:27 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Asheville North Carolina fills most of your requirements..

https://www.exploreasheville.com/

https://www.exploreasheville.com/sto...al-adventures/
I second this.

Also, have you considered Pittsburgh? It's very much an Appalachian city, but usually isn't said in the same sentence with cities like Asheville, Knoxville, Roanoke, etc. It's got the river criteria covered many times over too.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:02 AM

12,443 posts, read 11,948,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Also, have you considered Pittsburgh? It's very much an Appalachian city, but usually isn't said in the same sentence with cities like Asheville, Knoxville, Roanoke, etc. It's got the river criteria covered many times over too.
Pittsburgh proper would be far too much of a "big city" for them, but somewhere on its outskirts would probably work better than anywhere else I could think. The major issue is the outlying rural counties are very, very white (like, over 95% white in most cases), and have a reputation for being racist, hence I'm not sure their kids would find a pleasant home there. In contrast, people are very tolerant closer in towards the city, but it looks like they do not want city living.

Of course, I presume the same is true in most of the Appalachians to the south of Pittsburgh too. I don't think you really hit "race blind" areas until you get into Upstate NY, and I can't think of anywhere outside of the lowland south where it would be common to see black or interracial kids in rural areas.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:15 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,126,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash4246 View Post
~land that isn't hard to purchase (aka not all of it is already owned)
Sorry, but any purchasable land is already owned. US or Federal lands are not for sale. Difficulty in purchasing is certainly a perspective that may or may not be reinforced by the locale you purchase in. Most places you will have to do some sort of a title search or title insurance or some other details to complete. There is going to be a lot of paperwork associated with any such purchase and if you are purchasing raw land, may also include pages of information regarding mineral and water rights too, since you want to be out of urban areas where these topics tend to just be rolled into a house purchase.

It isn't really unwieldingly difficult, unless you want to review and understand every paragraph in the contracts. If not already required by the place you purchase your land in, you may want to consider legal council to give you the confidence of dealing with your requests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or