U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 01:00 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Jeez...Connecticut is vertically last in almost every ranking
I deliberately didn't put it last because it's such an underrated state. I think it often gets dumped on because of its proximity to New York (which hurts its New England cred) and its unimpressive urban areas, but it's got so much to offer, and you know, are New Hampshire's urban areas really any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 01:07 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times
1. Massachusetts - economy mostly, most cultural strong place, but western mass is very beautiful
2. Vermont - beautiful, great culture, good people
3. Maine - Portland is probably the second best city in the region, and great coastline
4. Rhode Island - Horrible economy, but Providence has an excellent arts scene and nice coastal towns
5. New Hampshire - Portsmouth is solid. White Mountains are nice. That's about it. Culture and mindset are ich.
6. Connecticut - Couple of good breweries and the way to get to NY, that's it.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:11 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,216,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I deliberately didn't put it last because it's such an underrated state. I think it often gets dumped on because of its proximity to New York (which hurts its New England cred) and its unimpressive urban areas, but it's got so much to offer, and you know, are New Hampshire's urban areas really any better?
I understand where you're coming from. I'm just surprised that it's so low on people's ranking if it's liked a lot. I assume everyone likes all of the 6 states in their own ways but they all can't rank number #1.

As for the 2nd part of your comment...NH doesn't really have any urban areas. It has 1.3 million people in a state over twice the size of CT. The only thing that makes people prefer Manchester and Portsmoth compared to CTs urban areas is its lower crime rate and COL.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:35 PM

8,789 posts, read 4,712,032 times
I don't know. I can't stand CT. It's size is in the middle of the New England States. Has a decent population. However, it's poorly managed by the Goverment, failing infrastructure, roads are too congested, jobs are centrally located, limited things to do on the State (If you lived here over 20 years), education is a mix bag more money you have the better it will be, higher education is expensive, houses are expensive to own/rent in certain areas, taxes are high, and limited public transportation. Plus side heating cost feel are lower in CT.

If CT can lower taxes, fix the roads, improve public transportation, lower COL by reducing property taxes, do away with income & gas tax, and lower State higher education tuition it wouldn't be a bad place to live.

The beaches outside of Long Island Sound are much cleaner. However, the weather I feel is much better then other areas of New England.

Also CT is good distances from Providence, Boston, Cape Cod, and New York City. Many people can work jobs in Mass, NY, and RI if they wanted to.

Last edited by RunD1987; 07-20-2016 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 02:59 PM

128 posts, read 109,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
1. Massachusetts - economy mostly, most cultural strong place, but western mass is very beautiful
2. Vermont - beautiful, great culture, good people
3. Maine - Portland is probably the second best city in the region, and great coastline
4. Rhode Island - Horrible economy, but Providence has an excellent arts scene and nice coastal towns
5. New Hampshire - Portsmouth is solid. White Mountains are nice. That's about it. Culture and mindset are ich.
6. Connecticut - Couple of good breweries and the way to get to NY, that's it.
I agree with this ranking - except maybe I'd switch Vermont for Maine. I love New England - it's all great. Maybe this is unique to me as a resident of the Boston area but I seldom go to Connecticut (except when driving to NY). On the other hand, I go to RI, ME, VT and NH fairly often for family and vacation. In my experience many people in the Boston area aren't entirely familiar with Connecticut except that it's the source of major traffic getting to NY.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:09 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Actually, the quality of most of the main roads and highways in CT are now excellent. Some of the best in the country, if you ask me. Over the past few years, they've done an amazing job at resurfacing most of the numbered routes and highways and now they are smooth and clean as glass. Numerous bridges have been rehabilitated and updated, as well as the I-91 and I-95 interchange in New Haven and the new Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge. Also, the railway between New Haven and Springfield is being upgraded as we speak. And for what its worth, we have a new busway system between New Britain and Hartford. Traffic congestion continues to be a problem on I-95 and parts of I-84, but what state doesn't have traffic congestion during rush hour on certain roads? Give me a break. CT roads are now in much better shape than any other state in New England, if you ask me.

Also, the wages in CT are among the highest in New England, by far. The only other place that approximates CT wages is the Boston area. CT has no tolls and no county governments, which is nice (same with RI).

In my opinion, CT has the best assortment of cities and towns of any New England state. Nice, attractive town centers that are very clean with nice quaint buildings and landscaping. MA is pretty good with this too, but numerous MA towns in the western part of the state are kind of gritty looking.

I also like how in CT, the largest metropolitan area (Hartford) is centralized to the state. In MA, the major center of population (Boston) is stuck all the way on the eastern edge, making it a hassle for people in the Berkshires to access Boston.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:53 PM

I don't know in Mass my job I work in CT is $15 am hour where here I make $23 an hour. The crux is more job opportunities and at the State level im New England states pay in my field is similiar to what I currently make on CT.

ILL agree CT has made significant improvements to infrastructure after facing a crisis 2 year's ago, but still have improvement to go.

Traffic is ridiculous and too many jobs are located in Fairfield County & lower New Haven County clogging the roads.

Not sure only towns that stands out to me in CT is Collinsville, Glastonbury, Old Saybrook, Mystic, Stonington, Litchfield, Kent, and New Milford. I feel many towns in the Berkshires, cetrain towns in Vermont, North Shore of Mass, New Hampshire coastal towns, and Maine coastal towns share similarities to these towns.

Will say though outside of Mass. CT probably offers the most jobs and Maine third for those in the healthcare field.

That's why I picked Mass at the top more stable economy, only the 2nd highest COL State in New England, 2nd State in New England with high taxes, beautiful places to see/lots of activites, good healthcare system, great mental health system, great beaches, and great place to be outdoors/hike/camp. School's and roads are some of the best in New England.

Last edited by RunD1987; 07-20-2016 at 05:06 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 6 days ago)

2,027 posts, read 1,987,034 times
My ranking:

1) Massachusetts: A lot of people have been putting Boston as MA's best attributes, but the state has a lot of nice smaller towns too: Salem, Northampton, Provincetown, Amherst, Cambridge, etc. are all really great. It's also probably the second most geographically diverse state in New England after Maine with beaches in the east, and mountains in the west. Cape Cod and the Islands are stellar. And, of course, Boston is pretty cool too.

2) New Hampshire: I love the lakes region and the white mountains. I live the "live free or die" motto and mantra. Portsmouth is beautiful and quaint. It's not as sparsely populated as Vermont, but not as congested as Rhode Island. The Common Man is a great restaurant chain.

3) Rhode Island: I love the beaches and I love the people. A lot of my family is from RI, so it will always have a special place in my heart. Providence and Newport are both really cool. The beaches are always really lively in the summer, and I love the fact that everything seems to revolve around the ocean down there.

4) Maine: Best beaches in New England, imo. I'm a huge fan of lobster and seafood, so I find Maine awesome in that regard. Acadia national park, and Bar Harbor are supposed to be really nice, but I haven't gotten a chance to go up there yet. While I would easily live in Southern Maine, I don't think I would enjoy living in the north: it's just a little too rural and conservative for my tastes. Another downside to Maine: the governor seems like an absolute wacko from what I hear in the news.

5) Vermont: Burlington is absolutely beautiful, and I love driving by all the fields and mountains. However it's just a bit too rural for me. I grew up in the city, and I've never lived in a place so secluded. I'd probably prefer to live in rural Vermont than rural Maine, though. This is also the only New England state that's not on the ocean, which is something I would miss if I moved there.

6) Connecticut: I like Pepe's Pizza, and the towns in the southeastern part of the state are nice, but this state just seems to have the highest concentration of down-on-their-luck major cities in New England (i.e. Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford). Which is a little ironic, because Connecticut has some of the wealthiest town in New England and the country (i.e. New Canaan, Darian, Greenwich, etc.) Granted I haven't spent too much time in Bridgeport or Hartford to really say much about them, but I haven't heard overwhelmingly good things about them.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:03 PM

^^^^Very true agree 100% with that

Old 07-21-2016, 07:09 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,929,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
That's cool. My fiancée and I are thinking of moving to NH for it's cheaper cost of living and a quick drive to so many different areas. Family decades ago lived in NH they loved it, but someone said NH can be rude to outsiders any truth?
Native NH's will only give you grief if you come to NH and try to change it. Mass-holes as they nicknamed get a bad rap because they tend to move to NH for the lower cost of living and cheaper houses, then vote in the same nanny state laws and entitlements that they left behind in Mass and end up increasing the taxes and traffic in NH all while having an attitude that NH wouldn't exist without their money.

If you move to NH and embrace the Live free or die mantra and are a hard working genuine person I don't think you will have any problems with rude people at all. When we first moved up here one of the first things my wife and I noticed was how friendly everyone was to us compared to living in CT and MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or