Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:50 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I didn't spend all that long in Manchester, but it wasn't a better place to spend time than, say, New Haven. Felt safer than New Haven, but that was it (and it felt less safe than I was expecting). Portsmouth is great, but I don't really consider it an "urban area" -- it has more of a resort-town feel, like a bigger Mystic.
Portsmouth is old money - and has a significant shipping port and a naval yard across the river in Kittery. It is a tourism mecca for the New England region as well. 30000 people.

Manchester is objectively rated, I am not speaking in opinion in that regard. Nashua is strongly regarded as well.

New Haven, Bridgeport, and Hartford have massive inequality with rich whites living in enclaves outside, coming in to work insurance industries that are corporate corrupt appendages of the government - while poor blacks and hispanics reside in the cities. If I recall, Hartford is the poorest city in the country of some demographic size. Which is comically ironic seeing as CT is the wealthiest state per capita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 02:23 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Portsmouth is old money - and has a significant shipping port and a naval yard across the river in Kittery. It is a tourism mecca for the New England region as well. 30000 people.

Manchester is objectively rated, I am not speaking in opinion in that regard. Nashua is strongly regarded as well.

New Haven, Bridgeport, and Hartford have massive inequality with rich whites living in enclaves outside, coming in to work insurance industries that are corporate corrupt appendages of the government - while poor blacks and hispanics reside in the cities. If I recall, Hartford is the poorest city in the country of some demographic size. Which is comically ironic seeing as CT is the wealthiest state per capita.
While CT is the wealthiest state in the union, its capital and its major cities (Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford) are one of the poorest in the nation. I live in the West End of Hartford which surprisingly enough is home to one of the nations wealthiest census tracts. The North End is very poor as well as the South End. In general, Hartford's economy and government is considered poor/broke because half of all the properties in the city aren't taxable. There are a lot of government buildings near downtown. The insurance companies and the state are what keep the city afloat.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 754 times
In my opinion, it is easier to group New England in two parts: Northern New England consisting of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont, and Southern New England consisinting of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. Both are different, but amazing. When thinking of New England, beaches, forests, small towns, and mountains come to mind. Southern New England has the majority of the beaches, with the best being around New London, Rhode Island, Cape Cod, and north of Boston in Essex County. Southern New England also has its fair share of mountains and nature with the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts and the Litchfield Hills in Northwestern Connecticut. This is pretty much reversed with Northern New England. There are many great beaches like the small coast of New Hampshire and the rocky shores of Maine, but with the better mountains, like the Green Mountains in Vermont, White Mountains in New Hampshire, and Acadia National Park in Maine. My picks for best states however are pretty much equal between Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. Rhode Island and Vermont are amazing as well but don't feature all of the New England charm.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:11 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,538 times
My personal preferences, in order:

New Hampshire
Maine
Connecticut
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Vermont

Old 08-24-2017, 11:09 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times
1. Me
2. Vt
3. Nh
4. Ma
5. Ri
6. Ct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.