U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 01:44 PM

45 posts, read 37,569 times

Advertisements

OKC
KC
Little Rock
Tulsa
Knoxville
Greenville SB
HUNTSVILLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:16 PM

4,327 posts, read 920,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_nc23 View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on Sacramento? It seems like a great location. Ventura, CA also sounds ideal, but I'm not sure I could afford that.
I'm from Sacramento and wouldn't want to live anywhere else, except maybe a nice house with an ocean view in Southern California.

Sacramento is a nice place to live and work, and even though the metro area has grown a lot over the years, it's not massive and overwhelming.

You'll find lots of fun things to do in Midtown: restaurants, clubs, shops, etc.., and the people here, for the most part, are friendly and easygoing. Weather is near perfect year round! It can get hot at times in the summer though.

If you want to take a weekend trip nearby, you have so many options. SF/Santa Cruz/Monterey, Wine Country, Tahoe/Reno, just to name a few. Good Luck!

Old 07-16-2016, 02:26 PM

33 posts, read 27,501 times
Thanks JayinCA. I think I'm really leaning towards Sacramento or Richmond. They both seem like good outdoor cities within driving distance to beaches, mountains, and bigger cities.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:02 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,065,421 times
Charleston sc and savannah ga are very nice. Lots of outdoor activities

Old 07-17-2016, 05:25 AM

497 posts, read 273,791 times
My child free, non religious, feminist daughter lives in Knoxville, TN and does very well there. She hikes, camps and kayaks. She has made plenty of friends and her lifestyle isn't an issue at all.She isn't crazy about the weather there (too humid and too rainy) and the town shuts down earlier than you would expect for a college town. I believe it is 3.5 hours to Atlanta and the cost of living is certainly reasonable.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:14 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,144,912 times
Colorado Springs, Albuquerque, Tucson, Boise, Reno (maybe).

Larger: Denver or SLC. Not big on the climate(s) of Vegas and Phoenix. Too hot for me but obviously not for others (including my cousin who's been in Vegas 30 years).

Old 07-18-2016, 02:57 PM

4,635 posts, read 3,980,781 times
Quote:
I'm looking to move out of Chicago in the spring of 2017. I've been here 3 years and cannot deal with the crowds of people anymore or the long depressing winters. I'm a 32 year old single female with no kids, and I do not want to have kids. Big cities cater to these child free lifestyles, but the masses of people give me anxiety.

So...I'm looking for a warmer, smaller (200,000-500,000 pop) city that is maybe within a 3 hr drive to a larger city for concerts, sports, museums, etc... I know Austin would be a good fit, but it is a bit too big and I don't like the location. You can't really drive to anything except to other places in Texas. I don't want to have to fly every time I want to go on a vacation.

The most important thing for me is outdoor recreation. I love hiking, kayaking, trail running and camping. Chattanooga seems like a great fit for what I am looking for but am a little concerned my non-religious, child free, feminist self may not fit in too well. I could definitely be wrong though.

Any suggestions on some warm, medium sized cities?
Savannah, Georgia
Charleston, South Carolina
Oceanside or Carlsbad in CA
Santa Fe or ABQ
Fayetteville, AR

Old 07-18-2016, 05:57 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,230,894 times
My first thought after reading the OP was Eugene, OR. Lots of outdoor fun, mild winters, and a metro population around 300,000.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:04 PM

33 posts, read 27,501 times
Eugene looks beautiful, but are the winters pretty gray like Portland?

So many choices!!

Old 07-18-2016, 07:14 PM

3,754 posts, read 3,880,747 times
Quote:
Thanks JayinCA. I think I'm really leaning towards Sacramento or Richmond. They both seem like good outdoor cities within driving distance to beaches, mountains, and bigger cities.

If Austin is to large than Sacramento will be too. Sacramento is larger than Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or