U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 AM

184 posts, read 148,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I thought most of the recent Rican diaspora has been moving to central Florida?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Most of it is moving to Florida. I was only saying that much of the Puerto Rican population in Philly came directly from Puerto Rico. Danny Garcia's parents are just one example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Garc%C3%ADa

According to the ACS, 1,639 people moved from Puerto Rico to Philadelphia in 2013.
Well I wouldnt say "most" Puerto Rico migrants are going to Florida, their just getting the largest share. In reality, about half of them are going to Florida, the other half are going to other states, including Pennsylvania, Texas, Massachusetts, Virginia among others, mainly eastcoast states. After Florida, Pennsylvania has the 2nd largest share. Besides the Orlando area, many are also going to the metropolitan areas of Philly, Tampa, NYC, Miami, Boston, Jacksonville, Houston, Hampton roads.. Ppl act like 95% of PRs go to the Orlando area, when in reality only 50% are going to Florida overall with about two thirds of that are going to Orlando , so that's only 30%....

Also many Puerto Ricans are moving to Philly from other states especially NY. Philadelphia is, hands down, the most popular destination among Puerto Ricans outside the south, even more than NYC now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 09:03 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Well I wouldnt say "most" Puerto Rico migrants are going to Florida, their just getting the largest share. In reality, about half of them are going to Florida, the other half are going to other states, including Pennsylvania, Texas, Massachusetts, Virginia among others, mainly eastcoast states. After Florida, Pennsylvania has the 2nd largest share. Besides the Orlando area, many are also going to the metropolitan areas of Philly, Tampa, NYC, Miami, Boston, Jacksonville, Houston, Hampton roads.. Ppl act like 95% of PRs go to the Orlando area, when in reality only 50% are going to Florida overall with about two thirds of that are going to Orlando , so that's only 30%....

Also many Puerto Ricans are moving to Philly from other states especially NY. Philadelphia is, hands down, the most popular destination among Puerto Ricans outside the south, even more than NYC now.
By "most" I meant more than 50%. I knew it was at least 50% because I had read that in article a couple of years ago but didn't feel like searching for it.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Disagree. There aren't enough New Yorkers moving to Philadelphia to make any appreciable difference in the city. New Yorkers account for only 5.9% of migrants to Philadelphia each year. It's not a mass exodus on par with the migration to Broward County, FL. There has always been population exchange between these two cities and a lot of the people moving from New York to Philly are probably Philadelphia natives returning home.
True, but the population exchange is only getting larger, alot larger. These cities are so similar anyway, it doesn't take much migration to pull these 2 closer together culturally, as compared to Florida which was once a sparsely populated deep south backwoods swamp state before gettin bombarded by NYers.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoGoSomewhere View Post
Philly is going to get more expensive as well. These things don't last forever.
Incomes will limit how high the region's COL can become. Philly will get more expensive but I doubt it will ever be anywhere near DC or Boston because it doesn't have the same number of high-paying jobs as those cities.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
True, but the population exchange is only getting larger, alot larger. These cities are so similar anyway, it doesn't take much migration to pull these 2 closer together culturally, as compared to Florida which was once a sparsely populated deep south backwoods swamp state before gettin bombarded by NYers.
So what about the 94.1% that don't come from New York City? What impact do they have on the city's culture?

Old 07-19-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoGoSomewhere View Post
Philly is going to get more expensive as well. These things don't last forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
God I hope Philly doesn't turn into NYC
Yes Philly would get more expensive, if ppl continue to move here from NY and other places, the demand for housing increases and so does the cost of living.

But I HIGHLY doubt Philly will ever be as expensive (or crowded) as NY.
1. The city restricts residential homes from being built too high. So you won't see much residential high rises and the density that comes wit it like in NYC, Philly will mostly remain dominated by row homes.
2. NYC is the largest city (by far), a major entertainment hub, and the financial capital of the world. Philly is miniscule compared to this, and I think that's a good thing for Philly.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Incomes will limit how high the region's COL can become. Philly will get more expensive but I doubt it will ever be anywhere near DC or Boston because it doesn't have the same number of high-paying jobs as those cities.
That too

Old 07-19-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
So what about the 94.1% that don't come from New York City? What impact do they have on the city's culture?
But what I'm saying is the cities are so similar that u dont need a mega mass migration to make much a difference.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
But what I'm saying is the cities are so similar that u dont need a mega mass migration to make much a difference.
And I'm saying that if New Yorkers supposedly make Philadelphia more culturally like New York by virtue of their mere presence, then it's only logical that people from other places also make Philadelphia more like the places they came from. So if Philadelphia is becoming more like NYC due to migration, then isn't it also becoming more like Baltimore, Denver, Pittsburgh, the Bay Area, Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Richmond, Chicago, etc?

Old 07-19-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
And I'm saying that if New Yorkers supposedly make Philadelphia more culturally like New York by virtue of their mere presence, then it's only logical that people from other places also make Philadelphia more like the places they came from. So if Philadelphia is becoming more like NYC due to migration, then isn't it also becoming more like Baltimore, Denver, Pittsburgh, the Bay Area, Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Richmond, Chicago, etc?
Not necessarily, cities like Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, Bay area have almost nothing in common with Philly. Compared to a city like New York, which Philly has alot in common with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or