U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 03:26 PM

13 posts, read 8,756 times

Advertisements

Just looking for areas to look for when I start my job hunting. Not happy with my current position, a product analyst. I am looking for a financial / product / data analyst position which means I should be able to find work pretty much anywhere.

I am worried about extremes that I'm not used to. Freezing winters in Colorado (I'm from a warmer climate). Mosquitoes all over me in Virginia. Losing my leg to an alligator in Florida. A hurricane demolishing my home in the Carolinas. Killing myself from depression due to rain in Washington. Scorching to death in the summer in Texas.

I'm sure I can get used to some things, like the weather in Colorado and Texas. Others would probably be harder, like coastal areas where I'm constantly wondering if my house will be hit with a catastrophe. Others I would probably be ok with, but it would just seem super boring or hard to establish myself, like Idaho or Wyoming.

I'm ideally looking for an area where I can get a normal home, 1,250-2,000 sqft, $175-$250k max, that has some things to do and isn't a huge LA, NYC, SF type vibe. I did all that in my 20s, I want somewhere quieter now. Not dead, quieter.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 04:55 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,520,283 times
What size city?

Lots of the stuff you state is very overblown. Mosquitoes??? Seriously dude? If mosquitoes influence your place to live get ready to hate life because mosquitoes are everywhere, all over the earth, and are actually a vital piece of our world's ecosystem. Florida, Minnesota, Oregon all have mosquito. Alaska has mosquitos. Mosquitos will outlive the human race I am sure.

Your house isn't in hurricane risk in the southeast unless you are on the coast. So I suggest you buy some Repel or OFF spray and look into conservative cities like Greenville, Columbia, Birmingham, Raleigh and Tennessee cities maybe? All between 500,000 to 1 million metros with a few things going on.

No Florida city will work for you. Orlando is the only major city here not at severe hurricane risk, and it is no longer small enough or conservative enough for your taste.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:14 PM

4,282 posts, read 6,375,682 times
Look to some of the suburbs of the big Midwest cities. Many are red or home to the Reagen Democrats. You can be in commuting distance to job centers, the cultural and entertainment options of the cities, and will have distinct four season weather. If you can live with Colorado winters and Texas summers, you'll be fine. Look outside of Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and places like that.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 13,552,577 times
What are you? An orchid? I'm not sure where you're from that none of these ghastly things you dread ever rear their head, but they're almost entirely overblown.

For instance, the vast majority of the Carolinas almost never feels the brunt of a hurricane. I lived in both Carolinas for years and can count on one hand the number of times I saw hurricanes cause anything more than a lot of rain. And really only one time-- when I was a kid-- that we had what anyone would call severe damage. And even then, our house didn't lose anything but some roofing shingles and some trees.

And the gator thing? Come on.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 AM

979 posts, read 359,421 times
I would suggest that the Pittsburgh area (maybe not the city itself, but the surrounding suburbs) is a fairly conservative area, moreso than election results would lead you to believe. There are a lot of blue-collar, union type people in the area who vote Democrat because of their union affiliations, but when you talk to them, they hold quite conservative positions on many issues (favor low taxation, often against gun control, pro-life, etc.) As for weather, well, you'd get a fair sampling of just about anything you can imagine, from 90 degree summer days to near-zero degree winter days, but those extremes are relatively uncommon. No hurricanes, little earthquake risk, an occasional tornado, but not really all that common like you'd see in the Midwest. Pittsburgh is not a big NYC or LA type city, but there is a lot going on; it's not really a sleepy little town either. Nowhere is going to be perfect for you, but it certainly sounds like you might want to look into the Pittsburgh metro a bit more.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:06 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,412,895 times
Any other specific desires?

Most of these needs can be met in various metro areas of the lower midwest/nearby regions (Cincy Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland, Louisville etc.).

Old 07-21-2016, 06:19 AM
_OT

2,146 posts, read 1,534,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
What size city?

Lots of the stuff you state is very overblown. Mosquitoes??? Seriously dude? If mosquitoes influence your place to live get ready to hate life because mosquitoes are everywhere, all over the earth, and are actually a vital piece of our world's ecosystem. Florida, Minnesota, Oregon all have mosquito. Alaska has mosquitos. Mosquitos will outlive the human race I am sure.

Your house isn't in hurricane risk in the southeast unless you are on the coast. So I suggest you buy some Repel or OFF spray and look into conservative cities like Greenville, Columbia, Birmingham, Raleigh and Tennessee cities maybe? All between 500,000 to 1 million metros with a few things going on.

No Florida city will work for you. Orlando is the only major city here not at severe hurricane risk, and it is no longer small enough or conservative enough for your taste.
lol don't have that poor guy going to Raleigh and Birmingham thinking it's conservative.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:15 AM

1,270 posts, read 835,836 times
I don't think the place you are looking for exist.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 PM

7,663 posts, read 4,055,869 times
i think Greenville SC fits what you are looking for. i have never had any issues with mosquitoes here in my daily life. if you are outdoors for extended amounts of time such as camping, then bug spray is a good idea.

Gville is well out of typical paths of hurricanes or tornadoes, doesn't get much snow, and not much risk of major flooding. It gets 4 seasons but neither the summer or winter is intolerable in my view.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:33 AM

6,094 posts, read 3,422,888 times
Live in a bubble. Or sit on a flagpole. Seriously, how paranoid can ya get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.