U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you get the urge to relocate or move again?
Pretty much immediately after I moved to a new place 3 5.00%
After living in a place for a few months 11 18.33%
After living in a place for at least one year 5 8.33%
After living in a place for a few years 17 28.33%
After living in a place for at least 5 years 5 8.33%
After living in a place for at least 10 years 5 8.33%
I never get the urge to relocate or move 14 23.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:43 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,302,897 times

Advertisements

I usually stay for a longish time when I find a place I like or has an aspect to it that makes it easy to not leave even if I don't connect with the area (like weather).

However, I also tend to vacation like they did back in Victorian times where I'll stay a year or two.

Although since I've come to NC I've done a lot of day trips, weekend trips, and a few longer.

IMO if you're good at reading cities and people a new place can be learned in about three months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 12:51 AM

6,317 posts, read 6,977,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Whenever I travel to new places, I wonder what it's like to live there and wonder what it would have been like to have grown up there and stuff. Am I only one who thinks like this?
This portion is 100% like me.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:15 AM

556 posts, read 698,337 times
Sadly, it's basically immediately for me. I just enjoy roaming - I don't like neighbors, and hate being tied to a single job or community.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:59 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,132,244 times
I just think life is too short to be tied to one job and one home for years and years on end. But I feel like the concept of relocating every few years is only for young people. Wouldn't it look stupid if I kept relocating every 2 to 3 years for the rest of my life?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:10 AM

17,270 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Quote:
I just think life is too short to be tied to one job and one home for years and years on end. But I feel like the concept of relocating every few years is only for young people. Wouldn't it look stupid if I kept relocating every 2 to 3 years for the rest of my life?
The basic culture in the U.S. is mostly the same no matter where you are. Sure, there is a different "flavor" from one place to another. But after the initial excitement wears off, it's back to the same old daily routine that is pretty much the same.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:10 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
I don't see the point in moving around very often. Outside of a few variations, US culture is fairly homogenous and you can get the same stuff wherever you go. The urge for variety is usually satisfied by traveling for most people, and as you said less hassle and less expensive.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:22 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,525,717 times
Quote:
Why would you do that? People don't move just to move. They move until they find their final destination place (which isn't hard) and then they stay there. Eventually you'll have a family and won't even be thinking about this.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:26 AM
PDF

I just moved to NYC a few days ago and plan on staying here for the long haul. It really is my dream city, and from 2009-2014 I spent 7 months here as a visitor so I'm already quite familiar with the city. I also landed an incredible job offer that I would not be able to find anywhere else.

Before that...I lived in Raleigh for 11 months, Sydney (Australia) for 2 years, Los Angeles for 8 months, and I grew up in Tampa. Everyone goes through a different road to find their ultimate place, and I've found mine.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:08 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,132,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I just moved to NYC a few days ago and plan on staying here for the long haul. It really is my dream city, and from 2009-2014 I spent 7 months here as a visitor so I'm already quite familiar with the city. I also landed an incredible job offer that I would not be able to find anywhere else.

Before that...I lived in Raleigh for 11 months, Sydney (Australia) for 2 years, Los Angeles for 8 months, and I grew up in Tampa. Everyone goes through a different road to find their ultimate place, and I've found mine.
Nice, I lived in NYC for two years. I wouldn't voluntarily move there again though, because I'm not a big city person. But I'm glad it's your ideal place to live!

I live in the Hartford, CT area and although I don't mind it, I still feel like the only reason I'm here is because i almost had no choice, because I was unemployed for four months in Columbus, OH and needed a job. So, I'm only here because of job reasons, not out of personal choice. It's a good place to live, but I'm just bored of it after living here for over 90% of my life. But I'm going to stay put for up to 4 more years, in order to build job stability in my resume. After that, I'll be 36 years old and maybe I'll be ripe and ready to relocate again. I just feel like 36 is a little too old to relocate.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:55 AM
PDF

Quote:
Nice, I lived in NYC for two years. I wouldn't voluntarily move there again though, because I'm not a big city person. But I'm glad it's your ideal place to live!

I live in the Hartford, CT area and although I don't mind it, I still feel like the only reason I'm here is because i almost had no choice, because I was unemployed for four months in Columbus, OH and needed a job. So, I'm only here because of job reasons, not out of personal choice. It's a good place to live, but I'm just bored of it after living here for over 90% of my life. But I'm going to stay put for up to 4 more years, in order to build job stability in my resume. After that, I'll be 36 years old and maybe I'll be ripe and ready to relocate again. I just feel like 36 is a little too old to relocate.
That's 4 years...a lot can change. Like I said, it's not always about moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or