Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 10:00 PM

379 posts, read 289,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Pokémon Go (stylized as Pokémon GO) is a free-to-play location-based augmented reality mobile game, developed by Niantic and published by The Pokémon Company as part of the Pokémon franchise. It was released worldwide in July 2016 for iOS and Android devices.

The game allows players to capture, battle, and train virtual Pokémon who appear throughout the real world. It makes use of GPS and the camera of compatible devices. Although the game is free-to-play, it supports in-app purchases of additional gameplay items. An optional companion Bluetooth wearable device, the Pokémon Go Plus, is planned for future release and will alert users when Pokémon are nearby. It can be viewed as an emerging massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) although the social elements are not directly internal in the game.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Go

So, which city would you say is best to play in, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 10:03 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
My guess is the bigger the better.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:09 PM

719 posts, read 987,266 times
Good lord.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:25 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
lmao, Pokemon Go ftw.

I'd say somewhere that has a combination of sprawl and urbanity.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:26 PM

I mean, who wouldn't want to own one of these:
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikk...pokemon-go.jpg

Or this one:
http://neurogadget.net/wp-content/up...on-Go-Beta.jpg

Then, you battle:
http://cdn.breathecast.com/data/imag...n-go.jpg?w=600

Last edited by JMT; 07-14-2016 at 04:43 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 10:29 PM

719 posts, read 987,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
I mean, who wouldn't want to own one of these:
I'd prefer to avoid finding dead bodies, getting robbed at gunpoint and being hit by cars while gaming. Pokemon is an incredibly stupid fad that has been going on (largely behind the scenes) since I was a teenager, and it was as dumb then as it is today.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
I'd prefer to avoid finding dead bodies, getting robbed at gunpoint and being hit by cars while gaming. Pokemon is an incredibly stupid fad that has been going on (largely behind the scenes) since I was a teenager, and it was as dumb then as it is today.
These were the robbers:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131221014744

Old 07-13-2016, 10:37 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Has society really come to this? lol
I've actually played in both LA and Phoenix (don't judge!)...can't speak about any other cities but both cities are great places to play. My guess would be that cities like NYC, DC, Chicago, ect. would make playing Pokemon Go easier seeing as you don't have to rely on cars in those cities. Shouts out to yellow squad lol.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:11 PM

http://www.letspokemongo.com/wp-cont...hu-starter.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-14-2016 at 04:44 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 11:30 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
LOL. First of all, this is the best game ever. I'm obsessed. So I'll partially explain things for those who don't know:

The game relies on two key places: Pokestops and Gyms. Now both of these are locations shared by Niantic's other game called Ingress, which collected map data from Google to name key landmarks and other places where people may congregate, to locate these stops. Now many of these places and "landmarks" are submitted by the users of Ingress. You need Pokestops to get Pokeballs needed to actually catch Pokemon, along with other items. Gyms are needed to battle other players and support other team members.

Because these locations are based on places of congregation (think stadiums, actual gyms, convention centers, etc.) and landmarks (think memorial benches, gardens, and other places of interest), and the need to walk around to play the game appropriately, a place like NYC is best fit for the game if your goal is to gym battle.

Now the downside to a place like NYC is that NYC is heavily urbanized, we all know this. Niantic has different types of pokemon spawn in different types of areas. Since NYC is almost solely urban with a lack of open space areas a few certain types of pokemon would spawn in a lot of its neighborhoods. To be able to "catch em all" one would have to go to parks, seaside/river locations, industrial areas, mountains/forests, go at nighttime, go to desert areas, in order to really find all the types relatively easily. NYC isn't in the easiest of access to forest/mountain areas or deserts, which will limit one's ability to get the types of pokemon that spawn in these areas. NYC's heavily urban disposition really only benefits urban-spawning pokemon which frankly pop up in every city, the only benefit for NYC is the concentration of Pokestops/gyms in a walking distance.

So in my humble opinion, I will vote Los Angeles to be the best city. Southern California has an easy access to the beach which will find water pokemon, along with the desert, tall mountains, heavily urban pockets, industrial areas like Long Beach, and parks. So Los Angeles and San Diego should be the best two cities for this game. Very dense cities in the Northeast could also work as my second opinion, like NYC and Boston.

I live in Tucson and the game has been fun, I can find most Pokemon but I cannot find water type pokemon easily (I still can but it's hard) because, well, I'm in a desert. This is another reason why I nominated SoCal is because it is a lot like here but with an ocean.

As long as you live in a city with a large variety of areas then you should be good to go. Doesn't matter the size. If it's more walkable, it will be easier. The game only sucks if you live in rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.