U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:50 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,105,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Census Bureau considers all of Maricopa and Pinal counties to be the Phoenix MSA&CSA also includes all of Yavapai county and that is just rediculous, especially considering that Maricopa County is the 3rd largest county in the US by land area (behind #2 Coconino County, AZ and #1 San Bernardino County, CA).

In reality, metro Phoenix from downtown goes 35 miles due west, 25 miles northwest, 30 miles due north, 40 miles due east, and about 35 miles southeast.
Phoenix CSA does not include Yavapai County. Phoenix doesn't even have a CSA!

Old 07-18-2016, 08:51 PM

1,678 posts, read 834,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
As I have highlighted the area I consider metro Los Angeles consists of a contiguous area with a little under 3000 sq miles consisting of 17 million people:
Doesn't even include the PV Peninsula or Malibu. The PV Peninsula at least is connected all the way. You could also stretch down to Temecula/Murrieta. Filling in along the 15 and 215 now.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:01 PM

1,078 posts, read 961,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Doesn't even include the PV Peninsula or Malibu. The PV Peninsula at least is connected all the way. You could also stretch down to Temecula/Murrieta. Filling in along the 15 and 215 now.
I was showing where the grand majority of people lived in the LA metro as well as how well connected the whole area is, yes I could have added Temecula and or Malibu, but they're not as well connected to the majority of the population. It's basically giving people not familiar with the LA area how contiguous the whole area really is. I've seen people spew out things like "LA is 33k sq miles bigger than the state of South Carolina", when in reality the GRAND majority of people live in an area less than 3k sq miles.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:08 PM

18,907 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Phoenix CSA does not include Yavapai County. Phoenix doesn't even have a CSA!
Calm down dude, I've seen Yavapai included due to sections of Peoria and Wickenburg that spill over the county line, though I don't consider Wickenburg, or Peoria north of Carefree Hwy to even be in Greater Phoenix

Old 07-18-2016, 09:45 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
Getting older has taught me one thing; the correct answer to many questions is "It depends". Such is the case with the questions surrounding MSA's & CSA's.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 PM

1,687 posts, read 987,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I was showing where the grand majority of people lived in the LA metro as well as how well connected the whole area is, yes I could have added Temecula and or Malibu, but they're not as well connected to the majority of the population. It's basically giving people not familiar with the LA area how contiguous the whole area really is. I've seen people spew out things like "LA is 33k sq miles bigger than the state of South Carolina", when in reality the GRAND majority of people live in an area less than 3k sq miles.
Yea..its crazy how people want to think la burbs go all the way out to nevada and arizona.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:55 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,673,134 times
Some CSAs which correlate with greater TV markets and urban areas' cohesiveness should count, yes. So CSAs like the Bay Area, LA/Inland Empire, Baltimore/DC, Detroit/Ann Arbor (sans Flint), and Cleveland/Akron/Canton should all count, as their multiple metros are so closely intertwined it would be ignorant to list them as separate regions. But the vast majority of CSAs are very geographically bloated, so apart from those listed, no I don't think CSAs are a good representation of metro areas.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:58 PM

8,531 posts, read 8,869,462 times
Yes it does

Old 07-18-2016, 10:05 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,778,440 times
There have been multiple threads on this.

Yes, although not perfect, yes the CSA does represent a metro area.

Maybe not the remote extreme ends of counties that are in many western states (like how San Bernardino coutny extends all the way to the state line and incudes the entire Mojave desert), but I would say in general CSA gives a better idea of how a metro area really functions.

IE: Silicon Valley/San Jose is just a part of the same metro area as San Francisco, the same way Naperville and Lake County, IL are part of Chicagoland, or the way DC and Baltimore are part of the same metro region.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:09 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,110,423 times
Some of the CSAs (especially LA) are only huge in land area because the counties are so huge ,especially out West. You get these ridiculous land areas but as Calisonn has pointed out, the vast majority of population is in a much smaller area.

Nobody is commuting from Blythe to LA, but Riverside County is massive so people like to point to that as a reason that CSA is ridiculous. But for LA and the Bay I think CSA makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or