U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 08:09 AM

161 posts, read 181,360 times

Advertisements

Totally agree with NEP321 on New Orleans being low in absolute numbers. When I lived in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill it was similar. Very progressive area but low in absolute numbers because the metro area is only a little above 2 million.

I still contend Philly isn't a bad option for the original poster. Sacramento makes a lot of sense too if you still want to be close to SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 09:41 AM

29,940 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There's not one city that fits his list.
I can't imagine him finding a city with a large population of gays, affordable, and with frequent transit in a moderate climate. No city in this country can help him.
Sounds like Atlanta comes the closest to me.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,157,019 times
Have you looked into Philadelphia? I think you could afford a decent apartment in East Passyunk or Fishtown, which are great neighborhoods. The city has a large gay population. Most of the nightlife is concentrated along 13th street in Center City, but young gay people live in a lot of the hot and emerging neighborhoods of the city. SEPTA is pretty good as far as transit agencies in the US go. Climate isn't too bad, IMO. It snows some in winter, but the average high throughout winter is in the 40s. And the summers can get hot and humid, average highs in the mid 80s.

If Philadelphia is too cold/northeastern for your liking, I'd look at Atlanta and Orlando. Atlanta has a rail transit system. Orlando doesn't really (a commuter rail line, but that's hardly something to live off of). But both cities would give you a hotter climate and a large gay community for an affordable price.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:40 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,271,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Culturally its not a good fit. From SF to Atl is not an easy transition. The gay community alone is night and day between the two cities. The gay community is also older in ATL, you wont see as many in their 20s. Also Atls public transit is not enough to survive without a car. I understand Atl can meet some of the physical needs the op mentioned but you have to keep in mind cultural fit, so he doesnt get there and hate it, that goes for anywhere really.

Philly and Sacramento are good options as others have mentioned.

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-21-2016 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-21-2016, 10:50 AM

432 posts, read 356,443 times
Quote:
I agree, but Hotlanta doesn't have a moderate climate.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 AM

29,940 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Culturally its not a good fit. From SF to Atl is not an easy transition. The gay community alone is night and day between the two cities. The gay community is also older in ATL, you wont see as many in their 20s. Also Atls public transit is not enough to survive without a car. I understand Atl can meet some of the physical needs the op mentioned but you have to keep in mind cultural fit, so he doesnt get there and hate it, that goes for anywhere really.

Philly and Sacramento are good options as others have mentioned.
Not sure how you can say that when it sounds like he doesn't fit in culturally in SF. And Atlanta has plenty of gays in their 20's and 30's; it actually is something of a magnet for young gays, especially within the Southeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
I agree, but Hotlanta doesn't have a moderate climate.
It's somewhat relative and coming from the Bay, the climate will be an adjustment. But Atlanta will give you four seasons.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:22 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,271,845 times
Quote:
Not sure how you can say that when it sounds like he doesn't fit in culturally in SF. And Atlanta has plenty of gays in their 20's and 30's; it actually is something of a magnet for young gays, especially within the Southeast.

It's somewhat relative and coming from the Bay, the climate will be an adjustment. But Atlanta will give you four seasons.
Ill just leave it at that... I can only say that its quite an adjustment culturally so do your due diligence and visit first. When I visit Atl and meet up with friends there its rare to see many gay transplants from larger cities. Alot of them are from the area or other nearby smaller or regional cities and the few I knew from NYC, LA etc have since left.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:09 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times
In my personal opinion, I don't think LGBT population should even be a criterium for the OP or anyone in general. Just live where you want to enjoy living. LGBT people are everywhere in fairly proportionate amounts to the size of the metro.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:53 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,430,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In my personal opinion, I don't think LGBT population should even be a criterium for the OP or anyone in general. Just live where you want to enjoy living. LGBT people are everywhere in fairly proportionate amounts to the size of the metro.
Move to Tulsa.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:04 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,225,211 times
If people are throwing out Philly and the Twin Cities as options, then we might as well include Chicago. The major drawbacks are in being as flat as a pancake and how cold it can get in winter, but it's essentially ticking every other box. Even the access to nature one. No mountains or large hills for hiking, but there is Lake Michigan and hundreds of miles of trails in Cook County's forest preserves alone.

This study and infographic should at least give you a ballpark idea of what you'd need to be making to purchase in a given metro area.
http://www.hsh.com/images/slideshow/...ary_static.png
The salary you must earn to buy a home in 27 metros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Then why criticize New Orleans for its size? Simply because it's not a 4 million plus metro then?

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-23-2016 at 05:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or