U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:07 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Move to Tulsa.
I'd probably like that! I love eastern OK! I was just there last week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 02:02 PM

29,918 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Ill just leave it at that... I can only say that its quite an adjustment culturally so do your due diligence and visit first. When I visit Atl and meet up with friends there its rare to see many gay transplants from larger cities. Alot of them are from the area or other nearby smaller or regional cities and the few I knew from NYC, LA etc have since left.
I'd hope the OP would do his due diligence when it comes to any potential city. And I'm pretty sure you don't know every gay person in Atlanta; the metro gets tons of transplants from the Northeast and Midwest and I'm pretty sure all of them aren't straight. At the end of the day, the OP is obviously looking for a change as he is priced out of SF and is having difficulty making friends there, so it seems that a change in culture (being a gay-friendly city being constant) is exactly what he needs.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:10 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd hope the OP would do his due diligence when it comes to any potential city. And I'm pretty sure you don't know every gay person in Atlanta; the metro gets tons of transplants from the Northeast and Midwest and I'm pretty sure all of them aren't straight. At the end of the day, the OP is obviously looking for a change as he is priced out of SF and is having difficulty making friends there, so it seems that a change in culture (being a gay-friendly city being constant) is exactly what he needs.
And unless your gay and moved to Atlanta in your 20s from a larger major coastal city like I have then you would not know more then me. I went to the gay bars(mostly in strip malls in Atl btw), was a active member in the Atlanta HRC group, and was a member of my companies Gay Alliance group. I believe my experiences would trump yours in this catergory.

The gay scene/community is as diverse as cities and Atlantas gay scene is night and day from SFs i.e. leave Atl's core and you will not feel comfortable being Gay vs. go almost anywhere in the Bay area and noone bats an eyes if your holding another guys hand.

He didnt say he didnt like SF, hes just getting priced out for the most part, which doesn't mean a complete overhaul in lifestyle and city.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:23 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,511,677 times
Quote:
Ill just leave it at that... I can only say that its quite an adjustment culturally so do your due diligence and visit first. When I visit Atl and meet up with friends there its rare to see many gay transplants from larger cities. Alot of them are from the area or other nearby smaller or regional cities and the few I knew from NYC, LA etc have since left.
That is something I noticed a lot of as well while I was active in Atlantas gay scene. A lot of rural, small town southern transplants and few big city or northern transplants. Night and day compared to Floridas cities.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:36 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
That is something I noticed a lot of as well while I was active in Atlantas gay scene. A lot of rural, small town southern transplants and few big city or northern transplants. Night and day compared to Floridas cities.
Okay, but even then, so what? What if the OP's ideal match happens to be a gay guy from rural Georgia who happens to now be living in Atlanta? I wouldn't get hung up on the characterization of the transplants to ATL. People are people.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:41 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,511,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay, but even then, so what? What if the OP's ideal match happens to be a gay guy from rural Georgia who happens to now be living in Atlanta? I wouldn't get hung up on the characterization of the transplants to ATL. People are people.
Indeed, that might just be his thing. But in case it isn't, it's a good thing there are websites like city-data to warn him. Atlanta was cultural shock for me, and I'm from the state next door. A Californiain is going to be even more culture shocked.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Its because he's used to SF, I was stating that Atl could be a hard transition culturally so do your due diligence and visit first and get to know the community. And like I said earlier i.e. leave Atl core and you wont be comfortable being gay vs. the bay area. Atl was a hard landing for me.

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-21-2016 at 02:51 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 02:51 PM

29,918 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
And unless your gay and moved to Atlanta in your 20s from a larger major coastal city like I have then you would not know more then me. I went to the gay bars(mostly in strip malls in Atl btw), was a active member in the Atlanta HRC group, and was a member of my companies Gay Alliance group. I believe my experiences would trump yours in this catergory.

The gay scene/community is as diverse as cities and Atlantas gay scene is night and day from SFs i.e. leave Atl's core and you will not feel comfortable being Gay vs. go almost anywhere in the Bay area and noone bats an eyes if your holding another guys hand.

He didnt say he didnt like SF, hes just getting priced out for the most part, which doesn't mean a complete overhaul in lifestyle and city.
When I lived in Atlanta, I knew members of the LGBT community from a couple of large cities, particularly NYC and Detroit. But does any of this even matter if he can't even make friends where he is now???? I think you're making way too much of the "cultural" thing with that in mind by implying that it should disqualify Atlanta. The fact of the matter is that there is no cheap clone of the Bay Area anywhere in the U.S. and the OP has already recognized that he can't get everything he wants in one place. It seems that Atlanta would be just as good a suggestion as any other place that fits most of his criteria.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Does any of that even matter if he can't even make friends where he is now???? I think you're making way too much of the "cultural" thing with that in mind. The fact of the matter is that there is no cheap clone of the Bay Area anywhere in the U.S. and the OP has already recognized that he can't get everything he wants in one place. It seems that Atlanta would be just as good a suggestion as any other place that fits most of his criteria.
Cultural fit might not mean anything to you but its huge for others like me. I would think I'm not a minority in this. Alot of people choose where to live based off of whats a good fit for them personally aside from affordability and close proximity to family. Cultural/lifestyle fit trumps meeting certain physical criterias thus me choosing to live in certain cities vs. others. Im not saying Atl is out of the question but to take extreme caution as its a big shift i.e. once you leave Atls core hide your gay! And what if he cant afford a car? Atl is not a city to be in without one, transit options are important to him, marta only goes north and south and what bus system?

I think Sac and Philly would be better choices. Sac, albeit smaller, still exudes a northern ca mentality on a smaller more affordable scale plus its a short rideaway to SF if he wants to visit. Philly is an affordable option for thr northeast plus you get NYC, Baltimore and DC relatively close by.

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-21-2016 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 02:58 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,953 times
We had half a million people at Columbus pride which is incredible given that we are not a giant city. Besides Chicago and Minneapolis there is no comparison in the Midwest.

Where Columbus matches well with your criteria:
-Much less expensive than large coastal cities
-Huge gay population and diverse ages (college students, young professional and older)
-Progressive/liberal views in the core of Columbus, moderate to fiscally conservative views in some suburbs
-Easy access to museums, plays, independent movies, bookstores
-Great and affordable food scene
-Easy access to hiking and nature
-Walkable and developing core with interesting neighborhoods (Arena District, Grandview, German Village, Short North, Victorian Village, University District etc.)

Where it falls short:

-Weather is seasonal. January-February and sometimes March is going to be cold but not significantly colder than any other northern citiy.
-Mass transit is limited to COTA (Central Ohio Transit Authority). The buses run regularly and are great for going up and down high street, the main avenue in Columbus, but crosstown trips are very lengthy and it's much more convenient to drive or uber if you're going to be traveling a considerable distance. On the plus side you can drive to pretty much anywhere important in the metro area in at most 20-30 minutes.
-Columbus is flat, few hills in the metro area.

Last edited by Buckeye614; 07-21-2016 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or