Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:34 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,661,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
HEYYYY!LOL
So what if the Op is is black?I suppose Atlanta still in your mind would not be a fit either.
Hey buddy! I didn't say Atlanta wouldnt be a fit but take precaution as the two cities are night and day. I wouldnt recommend a city based on his skin color, just like I wouldn't a city just because there are alot of gay folk, you still gotto find what works for you as an individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 09:26 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,081,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
As an LGBT person who lived in Columbus for 9 months, I was able to get a reasonably good idea of the gay community there. It's just very concentrated in the urban core of the Columbus city limits, in a way that is unlike most other metropolitan areas. I lived within Columbus city limits, but was about 9 miles from downtown (Columbus is huge). And most guys didn't care to drive 20 minutes to see me and many of them had no car. It's pathetic. For a metro of 2 million, it is true that the gay population there is sizeable, but after a few months, everyone knows everyone already. That's why, I suggested cities that are more in line with the size of Atlanta, if he truly wants a reliable BIG gay population and reasonably affordable housing. God.
"And most guys didn't care to drive 20 minutes to see me"

Not to be rude but that sounds like a personal problem. When I lived in the University District and didn't have a car I had no problem going on dates/dating people who lived in Short North, Dublin, 5th By Northwest etc.

Last edited by Buckeye614; 07-22-2016 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 09:52 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,836,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
"And most guys didn't care to drive 20 minutes to see me"

Not to be rude but that sounds like a personal problem. When I lived in the University District and didn't have a car I had no problem going on dates/dating people who lived in Short North, Dublin, 5th By Northwest etc.
It's not a personal problem. It's just how it is in Columbus and many other cities. Gays prefer to be concentrated in the urban core and give more time and attention to other gays within their urban core. Yes, there were SOME gays who were willing to make the 20 minute drive to the edge of the city and see me. But in many cases, I had to drive into town to see them, or they were just plain lazy and unwilling to come see me. Many of them don't have cars either.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:07 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,661,726 times
Quote:
It's not a personal problem. It's just how it is in Columbus and many other cities. Gays prefer to be concentrated in the urban core and give more time and attention to other gays within their urban core. Yes, there were SOME gays who were willing to make the 20 minute drive to the edge of the city and see me. But in many cases, I had to drive into town to see them, or they were just plain lazy and unwilling to come see me. Many of them don't have cars either.
Thats anybody not just gays. When I had to live in the burbs in SF for a stint, it was hard to get people to come out and visit besides the usual birthdays/celebrations. Its more likely for people to go into the city then the reverse to play.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Anecdotally I do not know anyone who lives in Columbus without a car (besides some OSU underclassmen). Below is some data to back that up. The only zip code that has a very low percentage is 43210 which is exclusively The Ohio State University's campus.

Percentage of Population Driving to Work in Columbus, OH by Zip Code

If you're talking about guys not wanting to drive 9 miles to go out drinking with you then I agree. Much of Columbus night life, cultural events and trendy restaurants are concentrated in its core. If you're talking about guys not wanting to drive 20 minutes to hang out at your place then that's probably indeed a personal problem, not a Columbus problem.

Either way I'm sure the thread is sick of hearing bout Ohio so agree to disagree .

Old 07-22-2016, 11:06 AM

2,690 posts, read 3,157,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I tried looking up median renal prices for comparison's sake. One website I found said the median one bedroom for SN is 1300 but the same source said the median one bedroom for Lakeview is almost $1,000 more? I'll take your word for it and assume that source (trulia) was way off.

Either way it's not difficult to find brand new apartment for $1,000 or slightly north for a one bedroom in the neighborhood. If that's out of the OP's price range there are other cheaper neighborhoods nearby.
Keep in mind the figure I quoted for Lakeview was for all one-bedrooms, not just the new ones. As for price, I looked at Trulia and they don't quote what unit size those apartments are. It's possible multi-bed & bath units are pulling the prices up in their estimate. Zumper in January of this year put Lakeview's median at $1300 and $1350 last August. The Chicago Apartment Finders have the average sitting at $1350 for a one-bedroom. It apparently depends on the source and when they're posting. I know many landlords have a discounted rate for winter in a bid to get new tenants to move in even with the cold and snow.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Keep in mind the figure I quoted for Lakeview was for all one-bedrooms, not just the new ones. As for price, I looked at Trulia and they don't quote what unit size those apartments are. It's possible multi-bed & bath units are pulling the prices up in their estimate. Zumper in January of this year put Lakeview's median at $1300 and $1350 last August. The Chicago Apartment Finders have the average sitting at $1350 for a one-bedroom. It apparently depends on the source and when they're posting. I know many landlords have a discounted rate for winter in a bid to get new tenants to move in even with the cold and snow.
I'll take your word for it since you actually live in Chicago. Just visited Lakeview/Boystown actually, big fan of Roscoe's

Old 07-22-2016, 04:14 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,299,000 times
San Antonio could work.

You are close to Austin but more affordable. According to the report 4% of the population identifies as LGBT so that equates to about 96,000 people.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:42 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,836,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
San Antonio could work.

You are close to Austin but more affordable. According to the report 4% of the population identifies as LGBT so that equates to about 96,000 people.
Those reports of LGBT %'s are baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.