U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:40 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,121,876 times

Advertisements

I've spent weeks in NYC and never came across one Mexican. The man who delivered my Mexican food wasn't even Mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 06:48 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I've spent weeks in NYC and never came across one Mexican. The man who delivered my Mexican food wasn't even Mexican.
How do you know you didn't see any Mexicans? Maybe you mistook them for Central Americans.

Also, it depends on what neighborhood you stayed in.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
How do you know you didn't see any Mexicans? Maybe you mistook them for Central Americans.

Also, it depends on what neighborhood you stayed in.
I know what Mexicans look and sound like, I grew up around them and live with them in my neighborhood. I could look at the delivery man and tell right away, and then he spoke and that sealed it. He was Puerto Rican.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:04 PM

101 posts, read 93,125 times
Eastern Mass does not have those huge gas stations with the attached store and all- night sub shops, like WaWa's and Sheetz.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I know what Mexicans look and sound like, I grew up around them and live with them in my neighborhood. I could look at the delivery man and tell right away, and then he spoke and that sealed it. He was Puerto Rican.
The Mexicans in NYC are culturally different from the ones in LA, and they tend to be more indigenous looking.

How long ago did you stay in NYC, and where did you stay? If this was like 1990 then of course you didn't see a lot of Mexicans.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:10 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,424,886 times
In SoCal, I miss the magnificent thunder and lightning storms of the Midwest, and the fireflies at night. For that matter, I miss plain old rain.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:24 PM

1,033 posts, read 723,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I would argue that the Philadelphia region could benefit from the following:
- Restoration of train service in the suburbs, so further-out areas are serviced once again (like in Boston, NYC, and Chicago)
- An openness to modernization and upgrades to road and highway infrastructure.
- Denser development in towns and boroughs (like you see around suburban DC)
- Less restrictive/confusing/stupid alcohol rules (like those found almost everywhere else!)
I absolutely agree with you. To address your individual points:

1.) I agree beyond 100% with you! If you are familiar with SEPTA, then you'll understand the extensions that I wish would take place. Many simply involve restoring routes to their former termini:

-Wilmington/Newark Line to Perryville, MD to meet up with MARC (since Cecil County, MD is in the Philly CSA)
-Warminster Line to New Hope
-Media/Elwyn Line to West Chester
-West Trenton Line to Bound Brook, NJ (if there is enough demand in Central Jersey)
-Paoli/Thorndale Line to Atglen or at least Parkesburg
-Manayunk/Norristown Line to at least Pottstown; Reading preferable.
-Cynwyd Line to Belmont Avenue in Lower Merion
-Fox Chase Line to Newtown
-A new line to at least Quakertown/Shelly.

2.) Again, I agree with you. I would also like to add that I wish city officials would recognize the value of capping the Vine Street Expressway and I-95. My dream would be a full capping of the VSE from 22nd to 9th Street with a complete interchange with the Ben Franklin Bridge. This would allow Logan and Franklin Squares to become more like functional urban squares. One interesting idea for I-95 would be to reroute it into NJ via the Walt Whitman Bridge and along I-295 or the NJ Turnpike and designating the portion north of the Girard Interchange I-195. This would allow for a teardown of the elevated portion between the two aforementioned interchanges. This would also mean that I-676 would connect directly to the Ben Franklin Bridge instead of having an interchange with I-95. Since that will probably NEVER happen, I would love to see I-95 buried between Oregon Avenue and Arch Street. Either scenario would open up so much land for development and a better connection to the Delaware River.

I also hope that Philly continues to add bike lanes, repave existing streets, connect the street grid, and make streets better for all users.

3.) 100% agree. As a future real estate developer, I would love to build in urban, transit-accessible suburbs such as Media, Narbeth, Glenside, etc. NIMBY-ism is one thing I hate about this area.

4.) I will be 21 next month, so I could not agree more! Philly already has great nightlife, but it would be even better if the bars and clubs could stay open until 4-5 AM. Hell, we now have 24 hour subway service on the weekends. People don't even have to drive home.

In addition to the points you added, I would also like to add:

-I am jealous of places that give their transit entities a lot of money. SEPTA has received MUCH more capital funding thanks to Act 89, but it really can't undertake any major expansions until it catches up on its State of Good Repairs backlog. One must remember that SEPTA contains majority legacy systems from the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR), Reading Railroad (RDG), Philadelphia Transit Company (PTC), and the suburban Red Arrow trolley and bus routes. Here is a fantasy map for what I would like to see in terms of heavy and light rail transit: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...f2XB2M-YDOMcvs

-I am jealous of the fact that demand for office space in Philly is lower than other cities. This is because of our stupid business and wage tax system. It drives businesses into the suburbs and out of the area altogether. It is in the process of being fixed, however.

-I am jealous of places that do NOT have a corrupt City Council. Some of the people here (ex. Kenyatta Johnson, 2nd District) are as bad as they come.

-I am jealous of other states that don't have stupid liquor laws. There is no reason why the state stores should close at 9:00 PM, or that there should be state stores at all!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The Mexicans in NYC are culturally different from the ones in LA, and they tend to be more indigenous looking.

How long ago did you stay in NYC, and where did you stay? If this was like 1990 then of course you didn't see a lot of Mexicans.
I wasn't alive in 1990.

I was last in New York, specifically Brooklyn and Manhattan, in late December of 2013.

Didn't see one.

Kind of over this, ready to get back on topic.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:30 PM

128 posts, read 109,595 times
Happy hour - is Massachusetts the only state without happy hour? Alcohol is so overpriced here it'd be nice

Old 07-20-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I wasn't alive in 1990.

I was last in New York, specifically Brooklyn and Manhattan, in late December of 2013.

Didn't see one.

Kind of over this, ready to get back on topic.
That's not specific at all lol, the boroughs are big enough to be major cities.

And okay, but if you come back then I bet you'll notice a Mexican presence most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or