Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:57 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times

Advertisements

Well, actually, there are some limitations. Obviously, it would need to be in the U.S. Also, for the sake of recognition, it would be preferable if the city is recognizable to most people (i.e. try to avoid 4,000 people towns in the middle of nowhere Ohio). However, what is your dream city (whether you live there or not) if you were taking all of your preferences into account. Do you have kids? If so, where would you want them to grow up? Are you conservative or liberal? If so, where would you prefer to live? What type of weather would you want? Could you compromise on weather for an awesome city? Do you want a beautiful skyline or a more sprawling area? Money doesn't necessarily need to be taken into account. If you only make $50,000 a year but you wish you lived in the Upper East Side of Manhattan then go ahead and choose Manhattan. I'm just trying to get a feel of what you want in a city and what you're willing to compromise on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,626 times
I live in Omaha and want to stay here. It isn't the best it could be, but it is rapidly acheiving it's potential, so I'm glad I'm along for the ride. Things here are inexpensive. If there's a problem anywhere in our city, people notice, and take action. I love that about this town. You can make a difference, and not feel insignificant. You don't get the nice people and feeling of community in every city, certainly not always in cities of Omaha's size or greater.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,303 times
I'm quite content with where I'm at. (see Location: _______)
However, when I'm older I want an acreage here in IA with horses and a wife.

Last edited by metro223; 02-18-2008 at 10:13 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 09:13 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
I'm quite content with where I'm at. (see Location: _______)
However, when I'm older I want an acreage here in IA with horses and a wife.
We've got it good in the Midwest don't we? Des Moines and Omaha are real places of ambition if you ask me.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
We've got it good in the Midwest don't we? Des Moines and Omaha are real places of ambition if you ask me.
As much as I like Maine, I'd have to agree that staying in the midwest/great plains is ideal for me. This is where I'd want to raise kids.
I think the OP was looking for cities, but I'd take 20 acres of rolling hills with a few trees, maybe some sheep...

Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
I agree 100% Adam.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
As much as I like Maine, I'd have to agree that staying in the midwest/great plains is ideal for me. This is where I'd want to raise kids.
I think the OP was looking for cities, but I'd take 20 acres of rolling hills with a few trees, maybe some sheep...
You should go for it then!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
I'm planning on a Minneapolis move, but I really have my heart set on Denver. I'm just in love with the city, the scenery, and the climate. I've been to quite a few places around the world and Denver has always felt like home to me.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 PM

96 posts, read 616,628 times
I'd probably have to go with Huntington Beach, CA.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:41 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Well, actually, there are some limitations. Obviously, it would need to be in the U.S. Also, for the sake of recognition, it would be preferable if the city is recognizable to most people (i.e. try to avoid 4,000 people towns in the middle of nowhere Ohio). However, what is your dream city (whether you live there or not) if you were taking all of your preferences into account. Do you have kids? If so, where would you want them to grow up? Are you conservative or liberal? If so, where would you prefer to live? What type of weather would you want? Could you compromise on weather for an awesome city? Do you want a beautiful skyline or a more sprawling area? Money doesn't necessarily need to be taken into account. If you only make $50,000 a year but you wish you lived in the Upper East Side of Manhattan then go ahead and choose Manhattan. I'm just trying to get a feel of what you want in a city and what you're willing to compromise on.
The first part would exclude me from answering at all, so I am choosing to ignore it. Scottville, Michigan is the place I would chose to live with no limitations as well as no regrets. I have 4 boys so schools are important, and Scottville has a very good curriculum, and you other parents know the other half - great teachers and staff that are there for one reason, teach the kids the best they can and doing it with warmth. Scottville has that rare combination.

I don't like skylines or sprawl, I like a sunset over one of the Great Lakes with maybe a passing 1000' freighter moving like a speck over the water on the far horizon. I want my kids to be raised in a place where they are safe to ride their bikes, and have little league, Cub/Boy Scouts, Teachers that they want to visit on Summer vacation because they miss them. Good Friends that are true friends and could care less what they are wearing. I am NOT willing to sacrifice those points. I am willing to sacrifice Malls, traffic, BMW dealers, 24 hour entertainment, and pretentious people who think any town under 250,000 in population is "hick".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.