U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:37 PM

3,740 posts, read 2,558,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Dude, you've made your opinion known.

Most people in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio (that are on Eastern time) want to stay on Eastern Time.

Being from Michigan, the only real advantage I could think of to being on Central Time over Eastern Time is that it would be the same time as Chicago, which is an important regional hub. But that's about it, and I don't think it's really worth changing.

I get the sense that you really want the eastern Midwest detached from the Northeast as much as possible for some reason. I don't get the obsession.
I'm guessing a very, very bored teenager/college student. Knickers get in a twist if others don't like their point. Very common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 05:44 AM

18,919 posts, read 6,850,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'm guessing a very, very bored teenager/college student. Knickers get in a twist if others don't like their point. Very common.
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong about me. I am 33 years old. I am a truck driver, so I post on here on my downtimes, since I can't do much else, when I'm not home.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
This is the best time zone proposal map of United States yet:
https://i.redd.it/c0qust59mocx.png
That map has all the time zones going too far west. That will put sunrise well after 8am at the western edges in winter

Old 08-01-2016, 07:14 AM

1,004 posts, read 600,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
This is the best time zone proposal map of United States yet:
https://i.redd.it/c0qust59mocx.png
That map does not consider that Memphis and Chicago's metropolitan areas span multiple states. Some neighborhoods in Northern Mississippi are literally across the street from Memphis, and Indiana's Chicagoland suburbs are right next to Illinois.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
That map does not consider that Memphis and Chicago's metropolitan areas span multiple states. Some neighborhoods in Northern Mississippi are literally across the street from Memphis, and Indiana's Chicagoland suburbs are right next to Illinois.
And again, Time Zones are not about having the latest sunset possible, they are about having solar noon as close to clock noon as possible for the majority of the year

Old 08-01-2016, 07:00 PM

3,740 posts, read 2,558,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong about me. I am 33 years old. I am a truck driver, so I post on here on my downtimes, since I can't do much else, when I'm not home.
A 33 year old truck driver should probably have thicker skin when someone doesn't like a hypothetical timezone boundary shift they've suggested.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
A 33 year old truck driver should probably have thicker skin when someone doesn't like a hypothetical timezone boundary shift they've suggested.
Well, whatever. I'd rather see no changes than have the boundaries moved further west. Forget I ever started this thread I guess.

Any mod can feel free to shut it down

Old 08-02-2016, 02:07 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Here's what the time zones would look like in the 48 contiguous United States if they were rigidly defined by longitude:

Old 08-02-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Here's what the time zones would look like in the 48 contiguous United States if they were rigidly defined by longitude:

Exactly, and those lines of longitude (82.5W,97.5W,112.5W) are pretty close to the lines I drew.

Time zones are not about getting a late sunset, for the umpteenth time, they were designed to get solar noon as close to clock noon as possible for the majority of the year (1pm during Daylight Savings Time)

Old 09-17-2016, 03:41 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,933,187 times
A truck driver that gives a hoot about what time it is when it gets dark or light? No wonder you want sun up at 4:30. You've got to dump a load at 6:00. Most of us others don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or