U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 04:28 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,897,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
If Michigan is too far west then the back half of Georgia should be redrawn too. On an east/west longitude Atlanta falls almost in the center of Michigan which makes it statistically closer to Grand Rapids than Detroit.

Detroit 92 miles east of Atlanta which is 88 miles east of Grand Rapids. Perhaps the problem is not that Michigan is too far west, but rather that parts of New England are too far east.
They are both too far west technically, but I would keep Georgia in Eastern time due to economic ties with North Carolina and Florida, while Michigan as well as Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky can be in Central Time like they should with links to Chicago, Nashville, Memphis and St Louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 06:30 AM

871 posts, read 754,791 times
Quote:
It has to happen somewhere.
Yes, there has to be a border. No, it does not need to be in the middle of a major metropolitan area that hundreds of thousands of people commute in to and out of daily. Even now, the furtherst flung stop on Chicago's commuter rail line, South Bend, is in the ETZ... admittedly, though, that is a 2 hour drive made faster by the trains so it is maybe still a valid point to draw such a line.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:44 AM

871 posts, read 754,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
They are both too far west technically, but I would keep Georgia in Eastern time due to economic ties with North Carolina and Florida, while Michigan as well as Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky can be in Central Time like they should with links to Chicago, Nashville, Memphis and St Louis
Michigan's largest trading partner is Ontario and much of the local economy is based on Great Lakes trade with Canada. You can't just consider domestic trade in this issue.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 AM

3,967 posts, read 3,502,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Yes, there has to be a border. No, it does not need to be in the middle of a major metropolitan area that hundreds of thousands of people commute in to and out of daily. Even now, the furtherst flung stop on Chicago's commuter rail line, South Bend, is in the ETZ... admittedly, though, that is a 2 hour drive made faster by the trains so it is maybe still a valid point to draw such a line.
Technically it's not in the middle of a major metropolitan area. The 5 counties that make up the Indiana portion of the Chicago metropolitan area ARE in CST. I'm not sure why the impression of this board seems to be otherwise.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:20 AM

87,030 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Quote:
Technically it's not in the middle of a major metropolitan area. The 5 counties that make up the Indiana portion of the Chicago metropolitan area ARE in CST. I'm not sure why the impression of this board seems to be otherwise.
I think people got to talking about this map which proposes all of Indiana on eastern, and the H*ll with the people in NW IN who work in Illinois.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
This is the best time zone proposal map of United States yet:
https://i.redd.it/c0qust59mocx.png

Old 02-27-2017, 09:29 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,897,970 times
Quote:
I would honestly put all of Ontario west of ON 400 in Central Time as well, so Windsor, Slt Ste Marie and Thunder Bay would all move to Central Time. And Greater Toronto and Sudbury would be at the western end of the Eastern Time Zone. I would include Hamilton and Burlington in Eastern Time

Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM

21,367 posts, read 21,936,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Michigan is awfully west to be in EST.. i think the entire state belongs in CST.
not just that but the dirty Eastern TZ up in the UP is practically touching Duluth, that won't do at all

Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,828,779 times
Quote:
Why move FL's panhandle to Eastern Time when it's geographically in Central Time AND due south of Alabama which is in Central Time?
Let's just give that land to Alabama and call it a day, okay?

Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 PM

3,037 posts, read 2,468,576 times
Quote:
Honestly, whether Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, etc. are in Eastern or Central time zones doesn't make much of a difference in regards to trade. Most business interactions are relatively local anyhow. And if a business in Michigan/Ohio/Indiana had a conference call with a company in Illinois and a company in New York, you'd still have to deal with not everybody being in the same time zone.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:13 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,477,679 times
Quote:
Keep in Mind too that Detroit Michigan is actually Geographically east of Atlanta. So parts of Ohio would pretty much be in the Atlantic if you were to shift it straight south. I don't think it would make sense to put it in central. Looking straight on at a paper map doesn't always give the correct impression.
I do know people in Michigan value thier daylight lasting till 10 pm in the summer and they have that simply because they are in the wrong time zone. Originally Michigan and Indiana were central, however they were moved into the easter zone for economic reasons. People over the years have gotten used to the daylight lasting much longer than it should during the warmer months, there is no way they would want it put back the way it really should be. I was just up there this past June, you could see twilight in the western sky at 1020 pm and people up there very much like it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or