Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 06:40 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times

Advertisements

This again huh....

Timezones have emerged and been re-allocated over time to be more practical for the people who live in those states (for the most part). Nobody wants to move a timezone further "back" because that immediately gives them an earlier nightfall

Some states have done away with DST for the same reason. You want to make a more realistic argument that more people would get behind....go for that. Switching the clocks back and forth is pointless now and basically just gives everyone a longer weekend in the fall and a shorter one in the spring and messes with everyone's circadian rhythm.

IMO we should "Spring Forward" this weekend and then LEAVE IT ALONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 12:35 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,796,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
This again huh....

Timezones have emerged and been re-allocated over time to be more practical for the people who live in those states (for the most part). Nobody wants to move a timezone further "back" because that immediately gives them an earlier nightfall

Some states have done away with DST for the same reason. You want to make a more realistic argument that more people would get behind....go for that. Switching the clocks back and forth is pointless now and basically just gives everyone a longer weekend in the fall and a shorter one in the spring and messes with everyone's circadian rhythm.

IMO we should "Spring Forward" this weekend and then LEAVE IT ALONE.
There are some early birds who constantly argue for the earlier daylight and usually it has to do with kids waiting for school busses in the dark or farmers etc. I guess those who don't rise at 5 am should yield a later night fall for the benifit of early risers. That is the argument I have heard for it before. In the era where shift work is common and less people have regular hours, thier argument holds less weight. Kids won't melt if they stand in the dark at the bus stop for a few minutes.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There are some early birds who constantly argue for the earlier daylight and usually it has to do with kids waiting for school busses in the dark or farmers etc. I guess those who don't rise at 5 am should yield a later night fall for the benifit of early risers. That is the argument I have heard for it before. In the era where shift work is common and less people have regular hours, thier argument holds less weight. Kids won't melt if they stand in the dark at the bus stop for a few minutes.
In certain school districts, elementary school children don't get a bus and have to walk to school. That's the way it works here in greater Phoenix, because there is an elementary school every mile to mile and a half or so

Old 03-01-2017, 01:55 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
And once again, I will say that timezones were designed so that "solar noon" fell as close to clock noon as possible during standard time (so 1pm during daylight time). Having solar noon at 1pm standard/2pm daylight or later just to have a late sunset is stupid

Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,655,323 times
What do you think about AK? Places like Nome has 3pm solar noons with DST. Even Anchorage has 2pm with DST!

Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 AM

153 posts, read 130,127 times
I personally like the later sunsets better. I want time to enjoy the sun. The earlier the sun sets, the less time I have to enjoy it when I get off work. To me, the sunshine is wasted in the morning when I'm getting ready for work and then all day when I sit inside at work. It's nice to have 3-4 hours of sun when I get home from a long day indoors. The winters here are miserable when the sun sets between 4:30 and 5:00, before I even leave work.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
I agree.

- Get rid of Mountain Time all together. Put MS, AL, and all of FL, TN, IN, KY, and MI in eastern time.
- Put ID, AZ, and UT in Pacific Time.
- Put CO, WY, MT, NM, and all of the Dakotas, NE, and KS in Central time.
- Put NE minus CT in Atlantic Time.

That's how I'd do it. NW Indiana can stay central with Chicago.

I've never understand why the central zone is so large. I feel Alabama should definitely be eastern.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:55 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,655,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Why not do it like China? Have the entire country be on the same time zone. "Geographically, China covers five time zones (Zhongyuan, Longshu, Tibet, Kunlun and Changbai Time Zones). However, the standard times used in Chinese Mainland, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan Province are the same, for they are all in the same time zone (UTC+8), 8 hours ahead of the Universal Time Coordinated."
Assuming it would be Eastern Time, that would mean 4 hours forward in Alaska. In Fairbanks, around summer solstice, the sun wouldn't set until almost 5am! Around winter solstice, the sun wouldn't rise until almost 3pm (or even almost 4pm using year round DST) - well after lunchtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.