U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 05:56 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm looking at lines that would be closest to where the actual boundaries should be without making too many political disruptions.

Eastern Time "should" range from 67.5 to 82.5 W
Central Time "should" range from 82.5 to 97.5 W
Mountain Time "should" range from 97.5 to 112.5 W
Pacific Time "should" range from 112.5 to 127.5 W

Those would be the boundaries if not for economical or business considerations. The one change that NEEDS to happen is AZ (minus the Navajo Res of course) switching to Pacific Time and adapoting daylight savings time. This would satisfy all requirements. So much business is conducted between Phoenix and both Las Vegas and more importantly Los Angeles, and having a different time zone from Nov-Feb is really disruptive, especially to logistics between the two (freight/trucking)
No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 06:18 PM

3,745 posts, read 2,561,414 times
Quote:
You have to admit the AZ change from Mountain to Pacific should happen, due to no DST currently, we are already in Pacific from Mar ti Oct de facto. And Phoenix is economically linked to LA and Vegas much more than Salt Lake or Denver
Like I said.....SOME of the changes you want to happen make sense....others do not. The point you highlighted here makes sense.

Michigan and Ohio switching to central time doesn't make much sense especially when using the reasons you gave.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That said, let's go east to west here:

Maine should stay in Eastern time. There's no reason for one state in the US to be on a different time zone than all the others. Remember, these are political boundaries, not scientific.
Their sunsets / sunrises are quite early. Gets to 4:45 am or so with daylight savings time midsummer. Depends on personal preference on when they want daylight. But it would be awkward for it to be in its own timezone, especially southern Maine which isn't that far from New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

Quote:
Ohio is pretty far east for central time. I already explained Indiana. I think there would be a revolt in Michigan if moved to central.
A friend from Michighan whose living in Massachusetts, said "where I'm from we set the time zone correctly". I think she wished Massachusetts was in a later time zone.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:29 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Like I said.....SOME of the changes you want to happen make sense....others do not. The point you highlighted here makes sense.

Michigan and Ohio switching to central time doesn't make much sense especially when using the reasons you gave.
Indianapolis and Detroit are much closer to Chicago than New York City, and all of Michigan and Indiana are geographically in the right area, center of Central time is 90, so geographically, it should span from 82.5 W to 97.5 W

Old 07-21-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
No
Do you care to elaborate on that detailed response? 😑

Old 07-21-2016, 07:57 PM

556 posts, read 697,550 times
There's been a proposal for some time to eliminate daylight savings and then merge the 4 major U.S. time zones into 2. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
There's been a proposal for some time to eliminate daylight savings and then merge the 4 major U.S. time zones into 2. It actually makes a lot of sense.
I like the current amount, because with a 2 time zone setup with no DST, you would have sunrise and sunset times all over the place. For example, if you only did Eastern Time and Pacific Time with the current boundaries, sunrise and sunset would be way too early in El Paso, and way too late in Midland

Old 07-21-2016, 09:14 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,494,478 times
So if Detroit moves to the Central time zone, what happens to Windsor, Ontario right across the river from Detroit? I didn't realize that the Appalachian Mountain range was a determinate factor. Also, someone said that Detroit is closer to Chicago than it is to New York City. And? Detroit is closer to Toronto than it is to Chicago. Detroit is closer to Buffalo than it is to Chicago. Detroit is closer to Pittsburgh than it is to Chicago. Lastly, as mentioned above a couple times, Detroit is further East than Atlanta. BTW, Washington DC is closer to Detroit than the western end of the Upper Peninsula. Detroit is in the Eastern Time Zone, and never heard anyone here complain about it. If anything, perhaps the 4 counties in the Upper Peninsula in the Central Time Zone should be placed into the Eastern Time Zone to be included with the rest of the state.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:51 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
Quote:
Do you care to elaborate on that detailed response? 😑
We shouldn't adjust our times by one hour just to make it easier for business, frankly if someone is working at a job and they don't know how to adjust for time zones then they shouldn't be working a job, IMO. Plus DST sucks, I love not having it.

Seriously, it's one hour difference, not freaking Beijing. And I don't want to have ridiculously early sunrises either, which is what would happen if we did that. Far eastern edges of every time zone gets earlier sunrises and sunsets than the western edges in large time zones in places like China where the whole country uses one time zone. So by the time we would be getting off work it would be closer to night time whereas Los Angeles would still have sunlight at the end of the day.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
So if Detroit moves to the Central time zone, what happens to Windsor, Ontario right across the river from Detroit? I didn't realize that the Appalachian Mountain range was a determinate factor. Also, someone said that Detroit is closer to Chicago than it is to New York City. And? Detroit is closer to Toronto than it is to Chicago. Detroit is closer to Buffalo than it is to Chicago. Detroit is closer to Pittsburgh than it is to Chicago. Lastly, as mentioned above a couple times, Detroit is further East than Atlanta. BTW, Washington DC is closer to Detroit than the western end of the Upper Peninsula. Detroit is in the Eastern Time Zone, and never heard anyone here complain about it. If anything, perhaps the 4 counties in the Upper Peninsula in the Central Time Zone should be placed into the Eastern Time Zone to be included with the rest of the state.
Those four counties are in Central due to ties with Wisconsin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or