U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,860,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
We shouldn't adjust our times by one hour just to make it easier for business, frankly if someone is working at a job and they don't know how to adjust for time zones then they shouldn't be working a job, IMO. Plus DST sucks, I love not having it.

Seriously, it's one hour difference, not freaking Beijing. And I don't want to have ridiculously early sunrises either, which is what would happen if we did that. Far eastern edges of every time zone gets earlier sunrises and sunsets than the western edges in large time zones in places like China where the whole country uses one time zone. So by the time we would be getting off work it would be closer to night time whereas Los Angeles would still have sunlight at the end of the day.
Only in the winter, and even then, it would only be a 24 minute difference, our earliest sunset is currently 5:20 mountain time, where LA's earliest sunset is 4:44 pacific time, so you are talking 4:20 vs 4:44 if they were both pacific, so it would be dark at 5 both places

Anywho, I used to work in a warehouse that got daily shipments from both Las Vegas and Corona, CA; and when Standard Time would hit, and Vegas and LA became an hour earlier than us again, it would throw our whole schedule off, because those DC's would still operate their normal shifts so say 2pm-10pm Pacific is now 3pm-11pm Mountain, and we still sent the products out at the same time Phoenix time regardless of time of year, which again would really screw up our operation for those 17 weeks or so each year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 10:57 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Indianapolis and Detroit are much closer to Chicago than New York City, and all of Michigan and Indiana are geographically in the right area, center of Central time is 90, so geographically, it should span from 82.5 W to 97.5 W
Those states appear not to want to be in the Central time zone.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I read that their reason was for wanting to be in the same time zone as NYC, due to the financial markets, but these days, that is no longer relevant with the internet

Old 07-22-2016, 07:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
see the person from Michigan I quoted on the previous page.

In general time zones boundaries are drawn to have more land west of its "natural" point than east.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:45 AM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
I read that their reason was for wanting to be in the same time zone as NYC, due to the financial markets, but these days, that is no longer relevant with the internet
I posted a link from last year in Indiana. There's no big movement for them to go Central.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:33 AM

3,750 posts, read 2,563,903 times
Quote:
Generally speaking; most people would rather be on the western edge of the easternmost timezone possible; as those areas have later sunsets; which people generally prefer....at least in the US (I'm sure China's far-western provinces suffer from being in the same timezone the eastern region)

I have to admit I chuckle at how personally you are taking other people's critiques of your purely hypothetical timezone boundary shifting. It's really not that big of a deal.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Generally speaking; most people would rather be on the western edge of the easternmost timezone possible; as those areas have later sunsets; which people generally prefer....at least in the US (I'm sure China's far-western provinces suffer from being in the same timezone the eastern region)

I have to admit I chuckle at how personally you are taking other people's critiques of your purely hypothetical timezone boundary shifting. It's really not that big of a deal.
That's not always the case, otherwise, AZ would observe Mountain Daylight Time, and that would create a 8:41pm sunset on June 21st when the normal high is 106

Old 07-22-2016, 11:12 AM

128 posts, read 109,739 times
There was an article in the Boston Globe from a couple months ago about New England leaving for the Atlantic Time Zone

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...kZI/story.html

We are so far east it's crazy we're in the same time zone as Indiana

Old 07-22-2016, 12:52 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,490,733 times
Quote:
Indianapolis and Detroit are much closer to Chicago than New York City, and all of Michigan and Indiana are geographically in the right area, center of Central time is 90, so geographically, it should span from 82.5 W to 97.5 W
So Atlanta Should be in Central time? I think you just have an OCD issue with lines not looking perfect I have the same issue with other things. The eastern seaboard is not a straight line. The longitude of some cities on the eastern Seaboard.

Portland ME 70.27
New York 75.61
Jacksonville 81.65

Jacksonville is almost directionally due south of Cleveland which is at 81.67 (which you originally argued should be central)

Other facts:

Atlanta sits at 84.39 long while Detroit is 83.07 that's a difference of 1.32 degrees. In other words Detroit is roughly 91 miles east of Atlanta. Cincinatti is even further west of Atlanta at 84.51.

I-65 is more or less the western boundary for the eastern time zone. Indianpolis (eastern)86.15, Louisville (eastern) 85.76, Nashville (central) 86.78, Birmingham (central) 86.80. If you draw a line almost due north from Louisville you hit Grand Rapids (eastern) 85.67 which is further east than all of them.

Using your benchmark of 82.5 as the boundary, Downtown Tampa (82.45) would be eastern, but it's Gulf beach suburb of Clearwater (82.78) would be central. As it stands Tampa is only 43 miles east of Detroit, it is 54 miles WEST of Cleveland.

Another fact to annoy the OCD in us, the entire Canadian province of Ontario is on the same time as the Eastern Time zone. This means at the far western borders of Ontario 95.00 you are 120 miles WEST of Minneapolis, but on Eastern time

Last edited by mjlo; 07-22-2016 at 01:32 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
It would be more of a hassle to change time zone boundaries than it is worth. Though I do think DST is dumb and I think that can go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or