U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 04:59 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,902,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Mornings are crummy, no matter what, especially when you have to go to work. You can just as easily drink coffee and dress up with lights on. We did it for years. No problem. But that 4:37 sunset in Palm Springs, CA, and pitch dark at 5 can ruin even the most pleasant day. You think your're in Maine.

Years ago my BF lived in Champaign, IL. I just couldn't go there late Oct - late January. Too depressing. Locked up in the house with lights on at 5:00. Ugh! It's still the middle of the day for pete sakes.
A good chunk of the country has sunset before 5 in December, it's better than having an 8:30am sunrise. Anyway, once sunrise gets to be after 7:30 or so, it becomes detrimental to kids who walk to school (a lot of elementary school kids in this country have to walk to school and back, here in Phoenix, only JrHigh and High School kids get buses)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 06:14 PM

3,770 posts, read 2,582,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Your changes are just rediculous, mine while questioned have better logic to them, and they still more or less line up with the rest of North America

Besides, I would prefer an early sunrise to a late sunset. I don't like the fact that sunrise in Phoenix is 7:33 in early January, it would be 6:33 if we were Pacific year round instead of just Mar-Oct
*ridiculous

You are definitely in the minority here. The majority of folks would probably prefer to be at the western end of a timezone and have a later sunset. Hence why the Ohio/Michigan/Indiana shifting to central time is not something most people in those areas want.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
You are definitely in the minority here. The majority of folks would probably prefer to be at the western end of a timezone and have a later sunset. Hence why the Ohio/Michigan/Indiana shifting to central time is not something most people in those areas want.
See my post above yours, on why sunrise should not be allowed to be too late...

Old 07-22-2016, 06:57 PM

3,770 posts, read 2,582,847 times
Quote:
See my post above yours, on why sunrise should not be allowed to be too late...
Opinions are opinions. Everyone has one. You seem to think these statements you are making are "Facts"....when they are actually merely your opinion.

Most likely; more people have an opinion that is different from yours with regards to this particular subject. That doesn't make you "wrong" or them "right"....it just means that your opinion is unpopular.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:24 AM

795 posts, read 1,056,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
So if Detroit moves to the Central time zone, what happens to Windsor, Ontario right across the river from Detroit? I didn't realize that the Appalachian Mountain range was a determinate factor. Also, someone said that Detroit is closer to Chicago than it is to New York City. And? Detroit is closer to Toronto than it is to Chicago. Detroit is closer to Buffalo than it is to Chicago. Detroit is closer to Pittsburgh than it is to Chicago. Lastly, as mentioned above a couple times, Detroit is further East than Atlanta. BTW, Washington DC is closer to Detroit than the western end of the Upper Peninsula. Detroit is in the Eastern Time Zone, and never heard anyone here complain about it. If anything, perhaps the 4 counties in the Upper Peninsula in the Central Time Zone should be placed into the Eastern Time Zone to be included with the rest of the state.
Agreed!

Old 07-23-2016, 08:30 AM

2,631 posts, read 1,941,718 times
Quote:
A good chunk of the country has sunset before 5 in December, it's better than having an 8:30am sunrise. Anyway, once sunrise gets to be after 7:30 or so, it becomes detrimental to kids who walk to school (a lot of elementary school kids in this country have to walk to school and back, here in Phoenix, only JrHigh and High School kids get buses)

They could easily move starting time up a half hour. And why, anyway? Kids don't walk to school anymore; they get on a bus. Not an argument!

Old 07-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
They could easily move starting time up a half hour. And why, anyway? Kids don't walk to school anymore; they get on a bus. Not an argument!
Depends on where. It is a legitimate point. Where I live, kids in Elementary School don't get busses, only Jr High and High School do

Old 07-23-2016, 06:54 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,502,032 times
Quote:
Those four counties are in Central due to ties with Wisconsin
Ok, so you want to move Detroit to the Central time zone. So then what happens to Windsor, Ontario??????

There are strong ties between Metro Detroit and Windsor. I would venture more economic and social ties between these metropolitan areas than the counties in the UP with rural areas of northern Wisconsin. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but does that exist anywhere in North America where there are two sizable metropolitan areas side by side in different time zones?? It would get confusing. Bad enough we have to deal with passports, currency, customs, laws etc. Now you want us to also deal with different times. YIKES!!!

Old 07-23-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Ok, so you want to move Detroit to the Central time zone. So then what happens to Windsor, Ontario??????

There are strong ties between Metro Detroit and Windsor. I would venture more economic and social ties between these metropolitan areas than the counties in the UP with rural areas of northern Wisconsin. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but does that exist anywhere in North America where there are two sizable metropolitan areas side by side in different time zones?? It would get confusing. Bad enough we have to deal with passports, currency, customs, laws etc. Now you want us to also deal with different times. YIKES!!!
Actually it does. Bullhead City, AZ/Laughlin, NV. Because AZ is in Mountain Time from Nov-Feb, and most of the workers in Laughlin live in Bullhead City, for those 17 weeks/year, those people gain an hour going to work, and lose it when they go home.

Anyways, Windsor and Detroit are in different countries, so I don't see that issue happening there

Old 07-23-2016, 08:52 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,656,677 times
Quote:
Actually it does. Bullhead City, AZ/Laughlin, NV. Because AZ is in Mountain Time from Nov-Feb, and most of the workers in Laughlin live in Bullhead City, for those 17 weeks/year, those people gain an hour going to work, and lose it when they go home.

Anyways, Windsor and Detroit are in different countries, so I don't see that issue happening there
Bullhead City and Laughlin are not big parts of our economy. The entire state shouldn't have to adjust our times for those few people. BHC is depressed and last I checked it was decreasing in population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or