U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:31 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,889,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Bullhead City and Laughlin are not big parts of our economy. The entire state shouldn't have to adjust our times for those few people. BHC is depressed and last I checked it was decreasing in population.
I already stated the reason, 1. We are already in Pacific de facto from Mar-Oct, 2. Our BIG economic links with Los Angeles and Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 PM

6,522 posts, read 7,474,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The issue "What Time is it in Indiana?" has been around for a long time. (No pun intended) As I've looked into it, most of the state wants to be on Eastern Time, the Chicago suburbs want to be on Central, as a lot of the residents there work in Illinois.
The Indiana Law Blog: Indiana Law - What Time is it in Indiana?

That said, let's go east to west here:

Maine should stay in Eastern time. There's no reason for one state in the US to be on a different time zone than all the others. Remember, these are political boundaries, not scientific.

Ohio is pretty far east for central time. I already explained Indiana. I think there would be a revolt in Michigan if moved to central.

I can't speak for the Texas issue; I have little experience there.

Do these parts of Oregon, Idaho, Utah and Montana want to change time zones?

Funny you mention that Michigan would revolt if they were put in central time. When I lived there I met many people who thought they were in central time. I don't know why they thought that, maybe Michigan's association with being in the Midwest, so far from the eastern cities that people just erroneously believe it. Also I believe Michigan, Indiana and even western Ohio were originally central time and were moved to eastern because of some kind of economic reason. (being on same time as the east coast bosses) They are in the wrong time zone and that is why you will find sunlight in the sky at 1030 pm during summer there. Indiana is so confused and conflicted about the time zones that no one ever knows the time there, even people who live there. I agree they should fix that foolishness and put those two states back in central time were they belong.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Funny you mention that Michigan would revolt if they were put in central time. When I lived there I met many people who thought they were in central time. I don't know why they thought that, maybe Michigan's association with being in the Midwest, so far from the eastern cities that people just erroneously believe it. Also I believe Michigan, Indiana and even western Ohio were originally central time and were moved to eastern because of some kind of economic reason. (being on same time as the east coast bosses) They are in the wrong time zone and that is why you will find sunlight in the sky at 1030 pm during summer there. Indiana is so confused and conflicted about the time zones that no one ever knows the time there, even people who live there. I agree they should fix that foolishness and put those two states back in central time were they belong.
Exactly, these people posting who want "late sunsets" truly just want longer days, and the only way to get that is to move south. The later you move sunset, the later you move sunrise as well. For example, for some of these people who would like to stay on daylight time year round, Rochester, NY would get a 5:40ish sunset, BUT at the cost of an 8:45 sunrise

Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,348,473 times
I think Alabama should be moved to the Eastern Time Zone.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
I think Alabama should be moved to the Eastern Time Zone.
That doesn't really make sense, considering how far west AL is

Old 07-25-2016, 09:08 AM

4,249 posts, read 2,522,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The issue "What Time is it in Indiana?" has been around for a long time. (No pun intended) As I've looked into it, most of the state wants to be on Eastern Time, the Chicago suburbs want to be on Central, as a lot of the residents there work in Illinois.
The Indiana Law Blog: Indiana Law - What Time is it in Indiana?

That said, let's go east to west here:

Maine should stay in Eastern time. There's no reason for one state in the US to be on a different time zone than all the others. Remember, these are political boundaries, not scientific.

Ohio is pretty far east for central time. I already explained Indiana. I think there would be a revolt in Michigan if moved to central.

I can't speak for the Texas issue; I have little experience there.

Do these parts of Oregon, Idaho, Utah and Montana want to change time zones?
Not from me! It doesn't have to be the entire state. Part of the UP is already in Central. I wish they would add Delta county. Time changes 15 west of town and it drives me crazy.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:13 AM

4,249 posts, read 2,522,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Exactly, these people posting who want "late sunsets" truly just want longer days, and the only way to get that is to move south. The later you move sunset, the later you move sunrise as well. For example, for some of these people who would like to stay on daylight time year round, Rochester, NY would get a 5:40ish sunset, BUT at the cost of an 8:45 sunrise
Not quite. The north experiences longer days in the summer. In June we see sunrises as early as 5:58am and sunsets as late as 9:42 pm for a day lasting 15:43. That same day in Birmingham, AL is only 14:22.

Tropic of Cancer and all.

Alaska has endless days (and nights).

Old 07-25-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Not quite. The north experiences longer days in the summer. In June we see sunrises as early as 5:58am and sunsets as late as 9:42 pm for a day lasting 15:43. That same day in Birmingham, AL is only 14:22.

Tropic of Cancer and all.

Alaska has endless days (and nights).
I know that, but I was referring to the winter months, to the people who wanted to stay on Daylight time year round to get later winter sunsets. The daylength in Phoenix is 1 hour longer than Rochester in Dec and 1 hour shorter in June, so I know. It seems the sweetspot to get decent days in winter without too short days in summer is between 33-35 latitude. For example at 26 north, Miami and Brownsville, TX manage 10:40 minute days in Dec, but only 13:20 days in June

Old 07-25-2016, 05:24 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,500,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Actually it does. Bullhead City, AZ/Laughlin, NV. Because AZ is in Mountain Time from Nov-Feb, and most of the workers in Laughlin live in Bullhead City, for those 17 weeks/year, those people gain an hour going to work, and lose it when they go home.

Anyways, Windsor and Detroit are in different countries, so I don't see that issue happening there
Laughlin/7,300 people and Bullhead/35,000 people

Metro Detroit/5 million people and Windsor/300,000 people

Old 07-25-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Laughlin/7,300 people and Bullhead/35,000 people

Metro Detroit/5 million people and Windsor/300,000 people
But again, Bullhead City and Laughlin are in the same country, Detroit and Windsor are in different countries, you would need a green card, work permit and visa to live in one and work in the other!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or