U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 01:38 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,935,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
NYC, LA and Chicago all have sunset in the 4's in December. I grew up with a 4:35 sunset in December in Rochester, NY. It's not some wild idea. Anywho, most people are indoors in winter anyways, due to crummy weather
Crummy weather? LA?
Crummy weather AND pitch dark at 5 o'clock? I'd jump off a cliff.

BTW - Rochester? what ever happened to the world people thingee (looked like a mobile) that hung in that mall? Remember that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 02:14 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Crummy weather? LA?
Crummy weather AND pitch dark at 5 o'clock? I'd jump off a cliff.

BTW - Rochester? what ever happened to the world people thingee (looked like a mobile) that hung in that mall? Remember that?
Well, that's you. Half the US sees dark by 5 in December and I don't see suicide in droves ffs!

It's just a consequence of being that far north that gives you short days in the winter. 43 North sees a 9 hr day Dec 21, 33 North sees a 10 hr day on Dec 21, 26 North sees 10 hr 40 min day Dec 21.

And furthermore, timezones were designed to have solar noon as close to 12pm local time as possible for the majority of the year. They weren't designed around a 5-5:30 sunset on the winter solstice!!

Old 07-30-2016, 08:18 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,463,780 times
Quote:
This is a hand drawn map with my lines to give a visual idea

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...3&d=1469578471
Dude, you've made your opinion known.

Most people in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio (that are on Eastern time) want to stay on Eastern Time.

Being from Michigan, the only real advantage I could think of to being on Central Time over Eastern Time is that it would be the same time as Chicago, which is an important regional hub. But that's about it, and I don't think it's really worth changing.

I get the sense that you really want the eastern Midwest detached from the Northeast as much as possible for some reason. I don't get the obsession.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Dude, you've made your opinion known.

Most people in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio (that are on Eastern time) want to stay on Eastern Time.

Being from Michigan, the only real advantage I could think of to being on Central Time over Eastern Time is that it would be the same time as Chicago, which is an important regional hub. But that's about it, and I don't think it's really worth changing.

I get the sense that you really want the eastern Midwest detached from the Northeast as much as possible for some reason. I don't get the obsession.
It's because of Longitude. When time zones were created, it was to make solar noon as close to clock noon as possible throughout the year in given locales. And these zones are centered on every 15 of longitude going 7.5 each direction from the center. Concessions are made for business reasons, but some are just too much. As I stated earlier, just using longitude alone, the western boundary of Eastern Time/eastern boundary of Central Time SHOULD be 82.5W, which cuts through the middle of Ohio (east of Columbus) and is east of the entire state of Michigan, as well as Indiana by default. 9/10th's of KY and TN are west of this line as well. And as I stated at one point, Terre Haute, IN is at almost 90 which is supposed to be the geographic CENTER of Central Time yet is still in Eastern Time, which puts solar noon close to 2 in the afternoon in June, that is the issue.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:50 AM

1,997 posts, read 1,172,156 times
Putting east Tennessee on Central time would create problems for Chattanooga, which is on the Georgia border and has large connections to Atlanta (it's closer to Atlanta than it is to Nashville). I think that region should stay Eastern.

I do agree with some instances though. Western Indiana should not be in eastern time and that one county in extreme eastern Oregon should not be in mountain time. Way too far west IMO.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:55 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,935,161 times
Quote:
It's because of Longitude. When time zones were created, it was to make solar noon as close to clock noon as possible throughout the year in given locales. And these zones are centered on every 15 of longitude going 7.5 each direction from the center. Concessions are made for business reasons, but some are just too much. As I stated earlier, just using longitude alone, the western boundary of Eastern Time/eastern boundary of Central Time SHOULD be 82.5W, which cuts through the middle of Ohio (east of Columbus) and is east of the entire state of Michigan, as well as Indiana by default. 9/10th's of KY and TN are west of this line as well. And as I stated at one point, Terre Haute, IN is at almost 90 which is supposed to be the geographic CENTER of Central Time yet is still in Eastern Time, which puts solar noon close to 2 in the afternoon in June, that is the issue.

OK smarty pants.

NO LOOKING IT UP: What is the date of the earliest sunset and latest sunrise in Rochester, NY? No looking!

(btw, after you said sunset in Rochester at 4:30-something, I changed my mind. The DST all year is now extended to the western boundary of PA and includes ALL of NY! enjoy!)

Old 07-31-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
OK smarty pants.

NO LOOKING IT UP: What is the date of the earliest sunset and latest sunrise in Rochester, NY? No looking!

(btw, after you said sunset in Rochester at 4:30-something, I changed my mind. The DST all year is now extended to the western boundary of PA and includes ALL of NY! enjoy!)
Get lost, this is my thread, no hijacking

Old 07-31-2016, 04:44 PM

5,203 posts, read 7,887,733 times
I disagree with putting the entire state of Arizona in Pacific time, since most of the state is geographically within the natural boundaries of the Mountain Time Zone except for some far western cities such as Yuma or Bullhead City. I currently like the status quo with year-round MST. The sun would set way too early if we were to observe Pacific Standard Time in the winter.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I disagree with putting the entire state of Arizona in Pacific time, since most of the state is geographically within the natural boundaries of the Mountain Time Zone except for some far western cities such as Yuma or Bullhead City. I currently like the status quo with year-round MST. The sun would set way too early if we were to observe Pacific Standard Time in the winter.
Actually, 112.5W would be the natural boundary between the two time zones not considering political boundaries, and that goes right through the West Valley, plus we are already de facto in Pacific Time during Mar-Oct anyways. Plus, I still excluded the Navajo res, due to it being in 4 states

And our earliest sunset with year round Pacific Time would be 4:20pm during the first week of December. In early November, sunset would be around 4:35, and in early March right before Daylight Time, Sunset would be around 5:20-5:25. It would only put us 16 mins earlier than Palm Springs&Indio for the times. Not that crazy, plus we would get nice early sunrises, sunrise in early November would be around 5:50, our latest sunrise would be 6:33 in January, and sunrise in early March would be around 5:50 again

Old 07-31-2016, 09:00 PM

125 posts, read 105,159 times
This is the best time zone proposal map of United States yet:
https://i.redd.it/c0qust59mocx.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or