Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 04:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's the same arguement as to why the whole country of China is in Beijing Time, despite the country spanning 4 time zones, of you lived in Tibet, that is like a 12pm sunrise in December or sunset after midnight in June
No it's not the same argument. It can be the same time in Jensen (far eastern town on I-80) and Wendover (far west town on I-80) at the same time. SLC, the capital city, is practically right in the middle of the state.

Jensen: Sunrise today: 6:06 AM; Sunset 8:40 PM
Wendover: Sunrise: 6:24 AM; Sunset 9:00 PM

Ogallala, Nebraska (city in far eastern Mountain Time Zone on I-80):
Sunrise today: 5:33 AM; Sunset 8:12 PM

So a total of less than 1 hr spread across the time zone for sunrise/sunset.

Source: Wunderground

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-22-2016 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 04:25 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No it's not the same argument. It can be the same time in Jensen (far eastern town on I-80) and Wendover (far west town on I-80) at the same time. SLC, the capital city, is practically right in the middle of the state.

Jensen: Sunrise today: 6:06 AM; Sunset 8:40 PM
Wendover: Sunrise: 6:24 AM; Sunset 9:00 PM

Ogallala, Nebraska (city in far eastern Mountain Time Zone on I-80):
Sunrise today: 5:33 AM; Sunset 8:12 PM

So a total of less than 1 hr spread across the time zone for sunrise/sunset.

Source: Wunderground
Salt Lake would be the eastern end of Pacific in my setup

Old 07-22-2016, 04:28 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Exactly, if you go back to my first post, I said Utah west of the Wasatch Mts should switch to Pacific
Utah is more than 6 hours from the California border. Why should they share that time zone? Should western Kentucky be on Eastern Standard Time too?

Old 07-22-2016, 04:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Salt Lake would be the eastern end of Pacific in my setup
Eastern Utah is more closely allied with SLC than Denver. It's about 185 miles from Jensen to SLC; 310 to Denver.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Utah is more than 6 hours from the California border. Why should they share that time zone? Should western Kentucky be on Eastern Standard Time too?
And? UT borders NV which is Pacific, anyways, I said the whole state of KY should be Central Time, go back to my first post everybody, and UT east of the Wasatch (1/2 the state btw) would stay Mountain Time

Old 07-22-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Eastern Utah is more closely allied with SLC than Denver. It's about 185 miles from Jensen to SLC; 310 to Denver.
I go Ogden and Salt Lake alot for work. You also can't ignore their links to Las Vegas and SoCal (most of my loads out of SLC/Ogden go to Los Angeles).

Eastern UT is more similar to WY than western UT, the Wasatch Mts are quite the formidable range (you should try crossing them in a semi truck some time, not fun let me tell you)

Old 07-22-2016, 04:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
The current timezone boundaries don't make sense in certain places, like Indiana being in Eastern Time (except the NW and SW corners, and Idaho south of the Salmon River being in Mountain Time (which leads to almost 10pm sunsets in June).

Here are my proposed reshufflings...

Maine should be moved to Atlantic Time (1 hr later than Eastern Time)

Ohio, as well as all of MI, IN, KY and TN should me moved to Central Time

US Highway 83 should be the boundary between Central and Mountain Time, current boundary is too far west, especially in Texas.

All of Oregon and Idaho, Utah west of the Wasatch Mountains, the small part of Montana west of the Continental Divide, and Arizona except the Navajo Reservation should be moved to Pacific Time (due to not observing DST, Arizona minus Navajo Res is already defacto in Pacific Time from Mar-Oct).

So here would be the new time zones:

Atlantic Time (GMT -4/-3): Maine

Eastern Time (GMT -5/-4): CT,DE,FL east of Appilachicola
River, GA, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, NC, PA, RI, SC, VT, VA, WV

Central Time (GMT -6/-5): AL, AR, FL west of
Appilachicola River, IL, IN, IA, KS east of US 83, KY, LA,
MI, MN, MS, MO, NE east of US 83, ND east of US 83, OH,
OK east of US 83, SD east of US 83, TN, TX east of US 83,
WI

Mountain Time (GMT -7/-6): AZ (Navajo Res only), CO, KS
west of US 83, MT east of Continental Divide, NE west of
US 83, NM, ND west of US 83, OK west of US 83, SD west
of US 83, TX west of US 83, UT east of the Wasatch Mts,
WY

Pacific Time (GMT -8/-7): AZ (outside Navajo Res), CA, ID,
MT west of the Continental Divide, NV, OR, UT west of
the Wasatch Mts, WA

Thoughts?

Note: in this scheme, AZ WOULD observe Daylight Time, so time in non Navajo AZ would be unchanged from current scheme during DST portion of year

Yuck. You can have your depressing sunsets at or before 4:30 in Nov Dec Jan. Why anybody would want to have it pitch dark by 5:00 is beyond me. I just love my Traverse City Michigan sunsets at 9:30 on pleasant summer eves, and Grand Rapids all sunshiny in December until after 5 PM. Changes I would make based on getting depressed from too early darkness late in the year in other places:

Eastern Wis, Eastern ILL, all of KY TN, MS, and AL, and entire FL panhandle on eastern time.
Eliminate the Pacific time zone altogether south of western OR & WA.
Move the central time zone's western border west to include all of KS, Neb, all of the Dakotas + eastern MT, eastern parts of CO, WY, and NM.
Permanent DST in ME, MA, NH, VT, CT, RI, NJ, DE, MD, NY east of Utica, and PA east of the fall line, and DC.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
You can have your depressing sunsets at 4:30 in Nov Dec Jan. Why anybody would want to have it pitch dark by 5:00 is beyond me. I just love my Traverse City Michigan sunsets at 9:30 on pleasant summer eves. Changes I would make based on getting depressed from too early darkness late in the year:

Eastern Wis, Eastern ILL, all of TN, MS, and AL, and entire FL panhandle on eastern time.
Eliminate the Pacific time zone altogether south of western OR & WA.
Move the central time zone's western border west to include all of KS, Neb, all of the Dakotas + eastern MT.
Permanent DST in ME, MA, NH, VT, CT, RI, NJ, DE, MD, NY east of Utica, and PA east of the fall line.
Your changes are just rediculous, mine while questioned have better logic to them, and they still more or less line up with the rest of North America

Besides, I would prefer an early sunrise to a late sunset. I don't like the fact that sunrise in Phoenix is 7:33 in early January, it would be 6:33 if we were Pacific year round instead of just Mar-Oct

Old 07-22-2016, 04:47 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
And? UT borders NV which is Pacific, anyways, I said the whole state of KY should be Central Time, go back to my first post everybody, and UT east of the Wasatch (1/2 the state btw) would stay Mountain Time
KY borders VA which is Eastern.

Utah I would argue is much more linked to Colorado in economics along with the rest of the Mountain West including Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, than it is to California and Nevada.

Nevada works to be on PST because Reno is further west than Los Angeles is.

It frankly makes zero sense to divide Utah. States should not be divided this way.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Your changes are just rediculous, mine while questioned have better logic to them, and they still more or less line up with the rest of North America

Besides, I would prefer an early sunrise to a late sunset. I don't like the fact that sunrise in Phoenix is 7:33 in early January, it would be 6:33 if we were Pacific year round instead of just Mar-Oct
Mornings are crummy, no matter what, especially when you have to go to work. You can just as easily drink coffee and dress up with lights on. We did it for years. No problem. But that 4:37 sunset in Palm Springs, CA, and pitch dark at 5 can ruin even the most pleasant day. You think your're in Maine.

Years ago my BF lived in Champaign, IL. I just couldn't go there late Oct - late January. Too depressing. Locked up in the house with lights on at 5:00. Ugh! It's still the middle of the day for pete sakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.