U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2016, 01:38 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,242,381 times
Reputation: 9846

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And yet those legacy institutions aren't making those cities economically powerful or getting people to visit their cities and move there. Who gets more visitors? Cleveland or Los Angeles? And the Getty is a pretty famous museum and probably visited a lot more than the Cleveland Museum of Art.
Oh, I agree with all this. I'm just saying that it's hard for ascendant cities to build good art museums, because art is already in private/institutional hands, and those institutions generally have bylaws barring art sales.

The Getty, which is indeed very interesting and a beautiful site, has a very mediocre art collection, despite being one of the wealthiest institutions on the planet. I love visiting the Getty, but honestly, the art is besides the point. It shows you can't buy quality art, because quality art isn't for sale at any price.

I mean, Florence hasn't been important for 500 years, yet their art collection is pretty much unparalleled. An ascendant city can't match Florence regardless of wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2016, 02:05 PM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Oh, I agree with all this. I'm just saying that it's hard for ascendant cities to build good art museums, because art is already in private/institutional hands, and those institutions generally have bylaws barring art sales.

The Getty, which is indeed very interesting and a beautiful site, has a very mediocre art collection, despite being one of the wealthiest institutions on the planet. I love visiting the Getty, but honestly, the art is besides the point. It shows you can't buy quality art, because quality art isn't for sale at any price.

I mean, Florence hasn't been important for 500 years, yet their art collection is pretty much unparalleled. An ascendant city can't match Florence regardless of wealth.
They won't have the same cultural institutions but ascendant cities will grow their own cultural landmarks unique to the city they are in, for example, Charlotte has the NASCAR HOF, Atlanta has World of Coke and the Civil Rights Museum. Just because there aren't 400 year old paintings does not mean its not culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 02:07 PM
 
7,694 posts, read 4,551,558 times
Reputation: 8371
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
They won't have the same cultural institutions but ascendant cities will grow their own cultural landmarks unique to the city they are in, for example, Charlotte has the NASCAR HOF, Atlanta has World of Coke and the Civil Rights Museum. Just because there aren't 400 year old paintings does not mean its not culture.
Did you just really name the NASCAR museum in the World of Coke? LULZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 02:10 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,242,381 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
They won't have the same cultural institutions but ascendant cities will grow their own cultural landmarks unique to the city they are in, for example, Charlotte has the NASCAR HOF, Atlanta has World of Coke and the Civil Rights Museum. Just because there aren't 400 year old paintings does not mean its not culture.
I agree. But we were talking art museums. And "The World of Coke" and the "Nascar HOF" aren't exactly the cultural equivalent of the Uffizi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 02:32 PM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I agree. But we were talking art museums. And "The World of Coke" and the "Nascar HOF" aren't exactly the cultural equivalent of the Uffizi.
No they are not, but something like the Civil Rights Museum/Memorial in Atlanta is a good example of unique cultural institution that is not something you would find in NYC or Chicago.
Art Museums are only one part of it anyways
Preforming arts, such as Symphonies, Ballets, and Musical Theatre mostly rely on Human Capital to succeed, other than initial donations for Symphony Hall or a Theatre.
Zoos, Aquariums, History and Science museums as well basically take a few wealthy benefactors to create.
You intentionally picked probably the least dynamic part of culture to further your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 08:17 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,242,381 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You intentionally picked probably the least dynamic part of culture to further your argument.
No, I didn't pick anything. The discussion was about art museums and high culture.

You responded by claiming that a Coke exhibition and some racecar attraction were equivalent to the Uffizi, which is pretty much absurd.

And a civil rights museum isn't unique. They're all over the country, and unrelated to whether or not a city is building cultural capital, as they're largely placed where history occurred (ie Memphis, Selma, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 08:25 PM
 
56 posts, read 44,588 times
Reputation: 90
No. Medium sized cities don't have hardly any of the opportunity of large metros. People in their twenties who move to Denver or Kansas City don't get hardly any exposure to international cultures. The people in those medium cities don't have the ambition, they are all in a rat race to get and hold onto their middle class jobs, so they can all go home at 5pm everyday like clock work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 08:38 PM
 
1,614 posts, read 1,059,942 times
Reputation: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
No. Medium sized cities don't have hardly any of the opportunity of large metros. People in their twenties who move to Denver or Kansas City don't get hardly any exposure to international cultures. The people in those medium cities don't have the ambition, they are all in a rat race to get and hold onto their middle class jobs, so they can all go home at 5pm everyday like clock work.
I disagree. It depends where you live at. I use to live in new haven ct which its city of 125k and the exposure to different cultures is crazy for a city its size. I know being closeto nyc has something to do with it but its still a small town with alot of flavor. Also lived in charleston sc population is around the same and they have just as many restaurants as a big city.

I think again its just what city you are in. Some cities dont have that it factor and are just bland of any culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,913 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Reputation: 5838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I disagree. It depends where you live at. I use to live in new haven ct which its city of 125k and the exposure to different cultures is crazy for a city its size. I know being closeto nyc has something to do with it but its still a small town with alot of flavor. Also lived in charleston sc population is around the same and they have just as many restaurants as a big city.

I think again its just what city you are in. Some cities dont have that it factor and are just bland of any culture
New Haven is a different case, being in New England on the 95 corridor between New York and Boston, alot of old money, as well as expensive real estate, plus near Ivy League universities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 11:25 PM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,142 posts, read 1,517,587 times
Reputation: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, I didn't pick anything. The discussion was about art museums and high culture.

You responded by claiming that a Coke exhibition and some racecar attraction were equivalent to the Uffizi, which is pretty much absurd.

And a civil rights museum isn't unique. They're all over the country, and unrelated to whether or not a city is building cultural capital, as they're largely placed where history occurred (ie Memphis, Selma, etc.)
It depends, in Birmingham the Civil Rights Institute has a lot of history that's distinct to Birmingham itself, along with the other areas within the Civil Rights District as well (16th Street Baptist Church, Kelly Ingram Park, Carver Theater, 4th Ave, etc.) It was even proposed to the US House of Representatives for it to be designated as a National Park. I don't know about you, but that's a lot of unique AMERICAN history. Pretty sure the same could be said for Atlanta, Memphis, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
No. Medium sized cities don't have hardly any of the opportunity of large metros. People in their twenties who move to Denver or Kansas City don't get hardly any exposure to international cultures. The people in those medium cities don't have the ambition, they are all in a rat race to get and hold onto their middle class jobs, so they can all go home at 5pm everyday like clock work.
lol Have you been to anywhere in NYC outside of Manhattan? One of the most hilarious topics among us millennials is finding out how to continuously pay rent, most of the people there contemplate moving somewhere towards the South or the West. Besides, it's 2016, there's so many young individuals with ambition all over this country, it's a reason ideas continue to spark everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top