U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:57 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,062,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
No... today I had to go to Tysons Corner for work (15 miles away from my Office in DC), I took the metro then ordered an Uber to get to the client site. On the way back I ordered groceries on my phone to arrive at my house at 8pm. I had ubereats $5 lunch special for lunch and used postmates to get someone to walk my dog since I was going to be later then I thought. To me everyday amenities like these are only found in big cities.

New "cutting edge" stuff will always be available in the larger cities first as they are usually the best testbeds as well as are the trendsetters in adapting new ideas.
Ubereats is in charleston sc now. (On the peninsula ) and charleston is a small city compared to alot of cities. Population around 120k or so. You dont have to go to big cities to get exclusive things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 06:16 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,254,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Ubereats is in charleston sc now. (On the peninsula ) and charleston is a small city compared to alot of cities. Population around 120k or so. You dont have to go to big cities to get exclusive things
Charleston isn't that small. Nearly a million people in the metro.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:19 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,272,883 times
Quote:
So we've had it for about half a yr now and I can order Korean, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Japanese, Thai, Laotion, Ice Cream, Desserts, Greek, Russian, all sorts of fusiont/hybrid restaurants, etc... and they run daily specials everyday. I assume since you now have ubereats you have all of the same options too?

Old 07-26-2016, 06:29 AM

56,637 posts, read 80,930,134 times
There could also be a point made for college towns offering a lot in relation to their size, as they tend to have their share of cultural events/institutions and have some degree of cultural diversity among its population.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:34 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,062,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Charleston isn't that small. Nearly a million people in the metro.
Compare to atlanta,dc, mjami, ect it is very small. Small also depends on where you are from. If you are from a small town of 10k or w.e anything is big to you but if you from philly alot of places will seem small to you

Old 07-26-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Compare to atlanta,dc, mjami, ect it is very small. Small also depends on where you are from. If you are from a small town of 10k or w.e anything is big to you but if you from philly alot of places will seem small to you
Well, yeah, but Charleston isn't remotely comparable to those cities.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No. New Haven if vibrant and dynamic because it has one of our best research universities. It's two hours from NYC. Yale makes it what it is.
You've never been to New Haven, I'm guessing.

We aren't talking about New Haven, and the city isn't particularly vibrant and dynamic for a major university town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've never met such a CSA booster. I'm convinced you live 90 minutes outside of the city.
I'm not a "CSA booster". The fact is that this is part of the NYC metro area. Argue with the Census if you don't like official Census business rules.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:29 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,403,138 times
Jazz and Ribs fest downtown on the Scioto Mile and kayaking on a hot summer day this weekend.

Boating on Alum Creek State Park.

Pedal Wagon, drink craft beer as you and your friends pedal your way through the short north with pit stops at local bars and art galleries.

Columbus Museum of Art has works of Picasso on display and is completely free every Sunday.

Authentic German sausages and draft beer in German Village

$3 dollar tacos and artisan margaritas in mason jars that are $4 during happy hour

That's just a very small sample of activities you can do during the summer. No we are not New York, nor would I want us to be. If you feel the need for a plethora of 24/7 night clubs, thousands of types of ethnic food or an intricate subway system then you won't find that here. That hardly means that you won't find fun activities, accomplished people or beauty in our city .

Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 AM

99 posts, read 130,848 times
I love midsized cities to live in, but like visiting bigger city for recreation and vacations.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:17 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,241,045 times
Mid-sized cities are nice but they can be a bit annoying sometimes with "proving" how great they are. Example, #1 per capita in basically everything. Most of them are like this to an extent, although some significantly more than others. Also, the yuppies in mid-sized cities are paradoxically more stuck up than those in large cities.

I personally prefer small towns & very large cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or