Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 11:55 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

The gap between amenities offered in the midsize cities and big cities is probably smaller now than it has been at any time since the 50s. Thanks to the instant dissemination of culture made possible by the Internet, there's very little cultural lag time either. What's cutting-edge in NY and LA is available to people in Portland and Milwaukee, now.

That is not to say the big cities don't offer much more, but the gap is substantially smaller than a lot of people want to believe…especially older people who haven't come to terms with the new reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 02:05 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
The gap is smaller but still present. Just because you can order anything from high-end retailers online doesn't mean that living in Milwaukee is similar to living in Boston.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:25 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
No... today I had to go to Tysons Corner for work (15 miles away from my Office in DC), I took the metro then ordered an Uber to get to the client site. On the way back I ordered groceries on my phone to arrive at my house at 8pm. I had ubereats $5 lunch special for lunch and used postmates to get someone to walk my dog since I was going to be later then I thought. To me everyday amenities like these are only found in big cities.

New "cutting edge" stuff will always be available in the larger cities first as they are usually the best testbeds as well as are the trendsetters in adapting new ideas.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
No... today I had to go to Tysons Corner for work (15 miles away from my Office in DC), I took the metro then ordered an Uber to get to the client site. On the way back I ordered groceries on my phone to arrive at my house at 8pm. I had ubereats $5 lunch special for lunch and used postmates to get someone to walk my dog since I was going to be later then I thought. To me everyday amenities like these are only found in big cities.

New "cutting edge" stuff will always be available in the larger cities first as they are usually the best testbeds as well as are the trendsetters in adapting new ideas.
With the exception of getting to Tysons in 15 minutes, I can do all of those things in Pittsburgh...and, to be honest, I don't believe you can get from DC to Tysons in 15 minutes.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:34 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:

We have all of those apps in Columbus and I would hardly call us a big city. I regularly use uber, there are online grocery delivery options and we have postmates as well. In terms of transit we don't have anything like the metro but presumably driving 15 miles in Central Ohio would take considerably less time than in D.C./NOVA traffic.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:39 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
With the exception of getting to Tysons in 15 minutes, I can do all of those things in Pittsburgh...and, to be honest, I don't believe you can get from DC to Tysons in 15 minutes.
I said 15 miles not 15 mins and unless I'm wrong ubereats is only in a handful of cities right now, maybe they just launched in Pittsburg? I ordered from a Greek/Indian fusion restaurant.

And please reread the second part, l of my last comment. I said the larger cities will always have it first and didnt say it wouldnt trickle down to medium sized cities. I really like Pittsburg but your options are more limited compared to bigger cities (mostly due to size) unless your strictly shopping online.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
No, the opposite has occurred. The gap has grown as highly educated talent concentrates in a few metros.

A generation ago, Pittsburgh and Cleveland had many of the same jobs you could find in NYC and LA. Not anymore.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I said 15 miles not 15 mins and unless I'm wrong ubereats is only in a handful of cities right now, maybe they just launched in Pittsburg? I ordered from a Greek/Indian fusion restaurant.

And please reread the second part, l of my last comment. I said the larger cities will always have it first and didnt say it wouldnt trickle down to medium sized cities. I really like Pittsburg but your options are more limited compared to bigger cities (mostly due to size) unless your strictly shopping online.
Course my options are more limited, but the difference is as wide as it would've been five, 10 or 15 years ago. No one is saying that midsize cities have everything big cities have, but that the difference isn't as stark. The downgrade from Chicago to Boston felt bigger than the downgrade from Boston to Pittsburgh.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, the opposite has occurred. The gap has grown as highly educated talent concentrates in a few metros.

A generation ago, Pittsburgh and Cleveland had many of the same jobs you could find in NYC and LA. Not anymore.
It's generation ago is when all the mills closed down. You're thinking about two or three generations ago.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:50 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Definitely, there's no desire to just pack up and move to places like NYC, Chicago, Boston, and etc. I'm pretty sure whatever you can do in one big city, you can also do in that midsize city; and I mean sure, there's some things that's accessible in larger cities, but nowadays you'll find things located in midsize cities that you won't see in larger cities. I like it this way because it's helping the midsize cities...become larger cities, or prosper on a larger scale. Therefore the "it," city no longer fluctuates, instead you have various cities gaining individual success. This is something you rarely see in other countries, outside of maybe Brazil, China, and Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.