U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:40 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,071,581 times

Advertisements

My magic eight ball tells me that conversation is rapidly devolving into an argument about American exceptionalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 03:43 PM

12,843 posts, read 4,646,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
That's a very dramatic word you just used. The Quality of life in the USA is among the best in the world, especially for a country our size.
The US is the only country in the world except Papua New Guinea that doesnt guarantee workers paid family and medical leave so parents can bond with their newborn. Whats so great about that? The average American worker has less paid vacation time than basically any worker in the industrialized world. Massive amounts of wage theft is happening in America every day by denying workers overtime pay. Lets not get started on the prison industrial complex. Millions of people are incarcerated, huge numbers for non-violent crimes.

Last edited by PCALMike; 07-21-2016 at 04:13 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 09:22 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times
We're not #1 in any of those categories so I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:06 AM

187 posts, read 158,027 times
What a troll post. This is so obvious a troll post. The USA has a lot of issues but is far from the worst, but it is not the best, at least in quality of life. You can argue about somethings but not quality of life.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:17 AM

556 posts, read 697,944 times
Actually, I tend to think Britain is the greatest country on Earth. They successfully saw their way through a draw-down of their Empire without imploding into civil unrest... I'm not convinced for a second the U.S. will see the same result when the end finally comes.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:01 AM

972 posts, read 738,363 times
I think one great thing about America is that even tho some people are tying to shun it, it's that we have freedom of speech. Everyone brags about it and uses it! America is having some rough times now but it is still great. Best country idk? But close if not the best! And to those of you who say it isn't the best country in the world than what country is? Canda, Scandinavian countries? They have some pretty crazy liberal things that make it unlike able to me. Canda you don't have freedom of speech, Scandinavia has too high of taxes and is too PC. The bad thing about the US is that there's lots of poverty and there's a growing number of crazy liberals that seem to be taking over everything specifically free speech (Twitter, Facebook, Main TV stations work with president, and recently got caught working with Hillary Clinton to get rid of Bernie). And American cities are too pricy but besides that I'm not sure what else is bad maybe too many people/lots of crazy people too.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:20 AM

22 posts, read 14,688 times
Well, the USA is a very very young nation compared to parts of the rest of the world, so to suggest that our nation will forever more remain at the "top of the heap" may be in question on a future timeline. None of us will be around to attest to the USA's permanent "status" . The world changes, power shifts, people move, disasters happen, wars are abound, threats can be ominous,sickness and disease can change the world's stability in a heartbeat.

In short, we shouldn't be preoccupied with "patting ourselves on the back" at this relatively early stage of our so-called "world prominence". That's wrong-headed, arrogant and foolish indeed.

Let's just do our best in the present, and work diligently to preserve and fully develop our common values, foundations and opportunities. When the earth was created (by God, or), brains and abilities were not just "sprinkled" on the land mass known as North America. We as a nation should never forget that......greater empires have fallen....Ottoman, Turkish, Ming, Roman, British, and the Spanish who ruled the seas.

Be very very careful.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 AM

908 posts, read 911,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Actually, I tend to think Britain is the greatest country on Earth. They successfully saw their way through a draw-down of their Empire without imploding into civil unrest... I'm not convinced for a second the U.S. will see the same result when the end finally comes.
No civil unrest? Been to Ireland or Scotland much?

Old 07-24-2016, 09:34 AM

908 posts, read 911,630 times
The reason the US emerged as it did was it was located far away from meddling dictators in Europe, Asia, and Northern Africa. It was also the first nation to adopt a Constitution like the one we have.

Also, the largest tract of fertile land in the world by far.

If you want to get into negatives, we did not have to battle feudal kings. We just stole land from Natives. Very easy to do when they don't have guns or immunity to non-native disease.
Then part of the economy was built on slaves in the south and indentured servants in the north (immigrants)

Abundant natural resources helped.

During WWII, we emerged as the world leader because we didn't get bombed to the end of ages. After we rebuilt Asia and Europe, our power began to fade.

Long-story-short.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:37 AM

1,250 posts, read 823,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myunsatisfyinginput View Post
The freedoms, opportunities, and quality of life citizens of the United States enjoy are unparalleled by citizens of any other country on earth. What made this so?
Because 'Merica...that's why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.