U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 06:39 AM

125 posts, read 105,187 times

Advertisements

It seems like every other or every third house is haunted in New England, especially Maine and Massachusetts. I also hear so many stories from people about their houses. It just seems so common for houses to be haunted in New England states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 06:48 AM

1,120 posts, read 658,053 times
Well that is only if you believe in such things (I personally don't).

I'll suspend my disbelief and give a few reasons:

1. The housing stock is older than any other part of the country, old houses can sometimes just feel "creepy" and that might lead people to believe the houses are haunted.

2. Because the houses are old there is a greater chance someone died in them.

3. Before the modern medical system it was much more common for people to die at home than it is today. Many more of us die in hospitals or nursing homes now than in the past when many of these old homes were built.

4. It used to be common for funerals to be held in the home. These houses hosted dead bodies.

5. Sort of tied to #1, old houses tend to have a lot more sounds than newer houses. All of the creaking, groans, and moans of the old houses could be interpreted as paranormal activity.

Maybe not old by New England standards, but there is a house still in my family that was built by my ancestors in 1870. There is still a lot of old stuff in it that was passed down from generation to generation. It has sort of become the summer getaway location for my family. I always thought the house was cool, but when I was a kid it used to scare the $%*@ out of me. I spent a lot of sleepless nights in that place growing up!

Old 07-22-2016, 11:13 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,941,807 times
Anyone with a good imagination or that is fearful can proclaim something is "haunted". If theyre wacky enough, they'd proclaim their local Dairy Queen was haunted.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 AM

556 posts, read 697,944 times
1) Higher quantity of old houses than anywhere else in the country (in theory, the longer a house has been around, the more opportunity it has to develop a ghostly legend).

2) More houses that, frankly, look like they could be haunted, thus leading to a greater number of stories of the paranormal.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:31 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,402,528 times
Salem witch trials, native american legends, old architecture including churches etc. Naples, Florida doesn't make for a good setting of a ghost story

Old 07-22-2016, 11:38 AM

1,250 posts, read 823,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Salem witch trials, native american legends, old architecture including churches etc. Naples, Florida doesn't make for a good setting of a ghost story
Haha, the Salem witch trials was the first thing I thought about. The cookie cutter housing developments in the south and west don't really make for a very good haunted house setting like the old New England towns do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.