Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:06 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times

Advertisements

Winona, Minnesota and La Crosse, Wisconsin. The Driftless Area is almost unknown in the rest of the country but it is beautiful, and the bigger river towns actually have half decent urban bones. They were the first parts of the upper Midwest to be settled and still have intact 19th century downtowns. Both Winona and La Crosse are college towns which makes them more worldly than typical Midwestern towns of their size. Also, the region they are the hubs of is one of the few liberal rural areas in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 08:44 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Philadelphia def doesn't count, being the 6th biggest city in the country and on the 95 corridor, plus teams in all 4 major sports (Phillies, 76ers, Eagles, Flyers).
Philadelphia absolutely does count. It gets **** on more than any other metropolitan area with at least 5,000,000 population. At least Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Miami have some combination of Southerners, Texans and Latinos vouching for it.

Quote:
San Antonio is hard to peg. 8th biggest city in the country, but not a big metro due to almost no suburbs, and only one pro sports team (Spurs)
I had a lot of fun for the brief time I spent in San Antonio.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:03 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Pretty much all of the Midwest. Nice people, decent selection of jobs, cheap housing, and overall inexpensive.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 AM

226 posts, read 280,691 times
San Antonio, Fort Worth, El Paso, Albuquerque..

Old 08-03-2016, 09:56 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
Columbus OH, Fort Worth, TX, Dover, DE, Wilmington DE, Savannah GA, Virginia Beach, VA.

Last edited by Faith2187; 08-03-2016 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 10:06 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Philadelphia def doesn't count, being the 6th biggest city in the country and on the 95 corridor, plus teams in all 4 major sports (Phillies, 76ers, Eagles, Flyers).

San Antonio is hard to peg. 8th biggest city in the country, but not a big metro due to almost no suburbs, and only one pro sports team (Spurs)
No way does Philly count, many people love Philly, myself included

Old 08-03-2016, 10:08 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
I love Salt Lake City (I'm non-Mormon). I think it gets a bad rep due to the LDS perception, although it is far less a factor today than at anytime previous. Salt Lake has a Democrat, female lesbian as its mayor. But the perception continues. On the forum, when asked to name the first thing that comes to mind about a particular state, replies for CO are always "mountains" or "marijuana". UT it's always "Mormons". Anyway, my other non-trendy favorites are:

- Boise, ID
- Little Rock, AR
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Portland, ME
- Rapid City, SD
- Colorado Springs
- Kansas City
- Omaha
- Des Moines

Old 08-03-2016, 02:15 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Metro areas: Cleveland, Rochester, Detroit, Buffalo, Syracuse, Hartford, Albany, Binghamton, Utica, Glens Falls, Elmira, Kingston, Dayton, Richmond, Lewiston, Bangor, Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Bismarck, Cheyenne, Casper, Jackson, Gulfport, ugh...so many places.

Honestly, the popular, trendy places are kind of a turn off to me. It's the popularity that ruins them IMO.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:32 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Metro areas: Cleveland, Rochester, Detroit, Buffalo, Syracuse, Hartford, Albany, Binghamton, Utica, Glens Falls, Elmira, Kingston, Dayton, Richmond, Lewiston, Bangor, Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Bismarck, Cheyenne, Casper, Jackson, Gulfport, ugh...so many places.

Honestly, the popular, trendy places are kind of a turn off to me. It's the popularity that ruins them IMO.
I feel EXACTLY the same way. The less trendy the better IMO

Old 08-03-2016, 02:50 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
I lived in Nebraska for nearly a year (back in 2000) and loved it.

A job in Virginia, at which I had been working as an independent contractor for just over two years, suddenly imploded With only minimal prospects there, I laded the car and headed for a place where I knew my skills and background (transportation and distribution) were likely to be in demand.

I drove into Omaha on a Sunday morning, with absolutely no contacts or advance preparation. I went to work for Labor Ready on Thursday evening, and secured a temp job in my won field (dispatching road service) wihin two weeks.

Three months later, my well-worn Ford Tempo gave up the ghost; I went shopping for a replacement -- ended up with a Nissan light-duty pickup truck, and a better-paying job as a courier to go with it; 280 miles every weekday to Norfolk and back, plus local work as time permitted.

After another eight months, improved prospects permitted me to return to my Pennsylvania home base; and the primary targets (Union Pacific and Burlington Northern Santa Fe) proved unreachable: a blood donation at that time also revealed a hepatitis 'C' infection that I wasn't able to shake for another fifteen years, but was finally able to shake due to medical advances.

I worked hard and long during those times, but in a community where a work ethic and an atmosphere of trust in a person's word still counted for something. Those options probably have diminished somewhat, but I doubt they were ever as strong in (pseudo-) sophisticated "bi-coastal" America.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-03-2016 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.