U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 03:41 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,138,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I feel EXACTLY the same way. The less trendy the better IMO
I agree and I'm a young person (32). It's not that I'm against or opposed to living in a trendy metro area. But I just naturally gravitate toward nontrendy metro areas. I just don't like the feeling of being in the center of attention, being watched and judged by others, etc. Currently, I live in the Hartford, CT area which is not trendy or popular at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 03:58 PM

1,254 posts, read 826,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree and I'm a young person (32). It's not that I'm against or opposed to living in a trendy metro area. But I just naturally gravitate toward nontrendy metro areas. I just don't like the feeling of being in the center of attention, being watched and judged by others, etc. Currently, I live in the Hartford, CT area which is not trendy or popular at all.
I'm in the same boat. I'm 29 years old and I currently live in Rochester NY. I lived in Atlanta and Philly and have spent a lot of time in Charlotte, Orlando, and Dallas. After visiting and living in those places I don't see how people do. Miles of subdivisions just to sit in 2 hours of traffic in their BMW's, no thanks.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:00 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,271,913 times
Some places I would consider living in:
  • Montgomery, Alabama
  • Columbia, South Carolina
  • Augusta, Georgia
  • Columbus Georgia
  • Peoria, Illinois

Old 10-05-2016, 04:45 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,671,698 times
Abilene,San Angelo,Lubbock,TX, Las Cruces,NM,Albuquerque,NM,Phoenix,Arizona, and New Braunfels,TX.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:12 PM

2,037 posts, read 4,559,773 times
I live in Louisiana, which is never mentioned in trendy city picks, except perhaps New Orleans.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:19 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,599,033 times
I've been thinking about buying a cheap house in a bad part of Philadelphia

Old 10-07-2016, 01:07 AM

5,442 posts, read 8,159,948 times
Okc

Old 10-07-2016, 03:24 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,676,578 times
Honestly I couldn't see myself living anywhere that *is* trendy, sans Columbus, Nashville, Denver, Philly, and Chicago. My preferences include:

-Detroit: Would love to be part of the comeback story (and perhaps find a way to make a killing in the process)
-Cincinnati: Like the San Francisco of the Midwest. Absolutely gorgeous (and largely intact!) antebellum and Gilded Age neighborhoods. Also has a strong, stable economy
-Albany: A smaller city that still feels like a big one. Has some off brand NYC brownstones that look amazing! And the easy access to NYC and Boston doesn't hurt one bit
-Cleveland: Highly underrated city with a lot going on, great civic pride, and a great number of quality amenities at a bargain price
-St. Louis: No place like home. Most beautiful architecture in the Midwest, bar none.
-Richmond: A less snooty, less expensive, less crowded DC. What's not to love?
-Louisville: Highly underrated city becoming Portland 2.0; also have family there
-Kansas City: If not the same city, why not the same state? Neat city that seems to have its act together. Plus, great BBQ
-Pittsburgh: Rust Belt legacy city that's furthest on the comeback trail. Rowhomes and mom & pop commercial strips everywhere, which to me is awesome.
-Houston: No zoning? No problem! Lack of regulation would make it easy/fun to invest here, plus the city is pushing hard to establish itself as a permanent global city
-San Antonio: Most storied and pretty city in Texas, with arguably the strongest local character and sense of place in Tex

That's about it, although I'm always open to most places not listed.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:24 AM

681 posts, read 465,487 times
I chose Providence. Very underrated and overlooked city. Cheaper than NYC and Boston with easy access to both.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:55 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,599,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
I chose Providence. Very underrated and overlooked city. Cheaper than NYC and Boston with easy access to both.
When I went there it seemed cozy, but I hate how everything closed so early
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or