U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:09 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,651,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm Chinese and hate the heat.
Well not of all China is hot, no? I mean isn't Beijing and north thereof fairly cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 01:42 AM

6,522 posts, read 7,474,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Well not of all China is hot, no? I mean isn't Beijing and north thereof fairly cold?
I believe that is true, in fact China is a large nation with a continental climate and diverse climate zones just like the USA. It has warm tropical areas, it has cool areas and it has cold areas. I have heard more than once that China has similar climate conditions to much of the USA. Of course no one deals with our level of tornados, we are off the charts on that one.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I believe that is true, in fact China is a large nation with a continental climate and diverse climate zones just like the USA. It has warm tropical areas, it has cool areas and it has cold areas. I have heard more than once that China has similar climate conditions to much of the USA. Of course no one deals with our level of tornados, we are off the charts on that one.
True, but you don't have to live in Oklahoma either. If you pick Oklahoma you sign up for that.

China does have a lot of climate diversity, I don't think they have the "hot desert" like where I live, but they do have mostly cold desert which is more like parts of Utah and New Mexico (ABQ is a cold desert). China also has a rare climate type that doesn't exist in North America at all, only in far northern China/Siberia. Can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Since China is a diverse country, even though most Chinese live on the East Coast, there are western Chinese ethnicities that could come into play here. Like Tibetans who come from a high-elevation desert, much like Utah, and the Uyghurs, Mongols, and several others. Many of which are different than the... Han... ethnicity which is the biggest in China, no? I think that's right.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Not me because my ancestors were from places like Germany and the British Isles as well as other parts of Europe and I prefer very hot weather.CD encourages updating old threads.
Haha my family hails from Scotland mostly, along with Netherlands, Italy, and Sweden, and I like the cold. I mean Sweden is probably too cold, my family in Stockholm always talk about the winters there, but Scotland is a temperate climate mostly in the 60s and fairly rainy, which I adore. 60s-70s are the sweet spot. And I like to wear jackets so going down into the 30s even is ok. I can go even further down if it's not windy. Wind is only good here in my incredibly hot climate, and I probably only think that way because I use a blowdryer on my hair all the time and I'm born and raised here, so I'm accustomed to it.

My Italian roots come from Naples only a third-generation in (grandma came from here), overall a nice climate but I thought it was rather humid there when I visited in the summer. Of course Italy is lovely but it's also a diverse country with the "heel and toes" being much different than the top. Naples is probably closer to a mild Southeast climate but I'm not entirely sure that exists here. The Southeast doesn't seem mild anywhere. It's better off to call it a "humid California".

Old 10-04-2016, 08:39 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,446,503 times
My ancestral heritage is mostly Mexican, followed by Scottish/Swedish/English.

My skin has hated every climate I've lived in with the exceptions of the Mojave Desert and Western Washington. It hates Front Range Colorado the most, and wasn't particularly fond of Eastern Washington, or Inland Southern California.

My brain liked Eastern Washington the best, and hated the Mojave the most.

I enjoy snow, but can't stand Front Range Colorado's dryness anymore. On the rare day we have weight to our air, it is absolutely delightful, and increases my internal happiness 1000x. About 1/2 the time, I find CO's cloud structure to be bothersome ().

Overall, I prefer cool summers (think Western Washington), I don't mind frigid cold, love snow (Front Range Colorado is a good baseline), don't mind rain as long as it doesn't go on heavily for days and days (Southern California during El Nino is fine), I don't like dry air, but it doesn't need to be terribly humid either (think coastal CA, San Francisco).

Wherever that^ is, direct me that way.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:58 AM

48,259 posts, read 45,539,506 times
I'm Black and I prefer cooler weather. One reason I jumped for joy when temperatures dipped below 10 F one morning in Atlanta. I don't think ancestral heritage means much. I'm of mostly African descent. By that logic, I should prefer hot, humid weather. Instead, get really miserable and really mean when it is summer in the Atlanta area. Hot, humid, and miserable.

Ironically, I meet alot of White people from northern states(many of German background) who come to Atlanta because they want to get away from cold winters.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
My ancestral heritage is mostly Mexican, followed by Scottish/Swedish/English.

My skin has hated every climate I've lived in with the exceptions of the Mojave Desert and Western Washington. It hates Front Range Colorado the most, and wasn't particularly fond of Eastern Washington, or Inland Southern California.

My brain liked Eastern Washington the best, and hated the Mojave the most.

I enjoy snow, but can't stand Front Range Colorado's dryness anymore. On the rare day we have weight to our air, it is absolutely delightful, and increases my internal happiness 1000x. About 1/2 the time, I find CO's cloud structure to be bothersome ().

Overall, I prefer cool summers (think Western Washington), I don't mind frigid cold, love snow (Front Range Colorado is a good baseline), don't mind rain as long as it doesn't go on heavily for days and days (Southern California during El Nino is fine), I don't like dry air, but it doesn't need to be terribly humid either (think coastal CA, San Francisco).

Wherever that^ is, direct me that way.
How can your skin like the driest desert in our nation and the wettest place in our nation at the same time? That's weird haha.

Sounds like you want a Mediterranean climate, which does exist in Mexico but a slightly cooler version which points to SAN Fran. LA gets pretty hot these days. Not like where I live but it's not much of a temperature bargain compared to AZ as it used to be. But if you want snow, you'll have to go for New England like Maine or something. Midwest is too humid.

I think snow is ok as long as it's not super windy. Wind seems to be the common denominator of most of my weather problems.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm Black and I prefer cooler weather. One reason I jumped for joy when temperatures dipped below 10 F one morning in Atlanta. I don't think ancestral heritage means much. I'm of mostly African descent. By that logic, I should prefer hot, humid weather. Instead, get really miserable and really mean when it is summer in the Atlanta area. Hot, humid, and miserable.

Ironically, I meet alot of White people from northern states(many of German background) who come to Atlanta because they want to get away from cold winters.
Africa is a huge continent though, plenty of rainy and cool climates in a few places in Africa, mostly South Africa, and even California-like weather in Ethiopia and a few scattered places. I know that Africa is either hot and dry or hot and humid for the most part, but there are exceptions.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 AM

48,259 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Africa is a huge continent though, plenty of rainy and cool climates in a few places in Africa, mostly South Africa, and even California-like weather in Ethiopia and a few scattered places. I know that Africa is either hot and dry or hot and humid for the most part, but there are exceptions.
Well, from what I'm told, my ancestors are from West Africa, alot of it hot and humid. I'm Black American, so it is likely that the part of Africa my ancestors were taken out of was West Africa.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 AM

13,358 posts, read 7,034,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
LOL

Some people like to play it up just to enhance their ethnic identity, i.e. "I'm pale Irish so I belong in Seattle." Truth is, a freckly redhead could survive just fine in Arizona. If they managed to get an adequate supply of Omega-3s, they wouldn't even need sunscreen.
Not really. I mean, yeah, they could "survive" but it's clearly not the ideal climate for them.

And yeah, using definitely think ancestry influences climate preferences. There are always plenty of individuals you can point to as exceptions, but in general I think there's a correlation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or