U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 06:09 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,651,369 times

Advertisements

This is more about preference rather than where people end up. If I moved to where I preferred I would have been out of Arizona yesterday. Job opportunities and affordability may keep me here despite that. It's still not what I would prefer at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 11:46 AM

48,259 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The largest Somali community in the USA is in Minneapolis. Talk about a far deviation from where they are from, climate-wise. From my understanding, there has been an effort to settle some Somalis in Arizona (which is much more like the climate they are from) but many of them end up moving to Minnesota anyway.
Some Somalis have moved from Atlanta,GA to Maine.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:24 PM

17,718 posts, read 4,091,837 times
I also think it is climate preference and location is more job-related than dna related

Old 10-27-2016, 05:24 PM

I'm not sure if people are reading this correctly... it says PREFERENCE. Not where people will end up. I can't tell you how many people I know who are in Pittsburgh and HATE the weather there. Just because they live there does not mean they PREFER it.

A ton of people prefer Hawaii's climate, they still aren't living there though.

This is about PREFERENCE, not WHERE YOU LIVE.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:26 PM

For those bringing up the Somali population in Minneapolis, if you did a survey asking them if they would like to live somewhere warmer and the majority said yes, then it's clear that it would not be Minneapolis they prefer, they probably live there due to Minnesota's liberal refugee policy. Don't act that politics have zero role in where people end up and it's purely based on weather preference. Plenty of factors dictate where people end up, but it is still NOT their PREFERENCE.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:47 PM

11,089 posts, read 4,877,847 times
Doesn't play out in my case, unless my Norwegian quarter is really that dominant.

Otherwise, I come from "hot" countries, but strongly prefer cold weather. My body temperature even naturally runs high.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:02 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,142,222 times
I'm half Louisiana Cajun and half German. Rather "ruddy" complexion, don't burn. I used to like the snow, loved winter and the changing of the seasons. USED TO. Now I want summer year round.

My wife who is South Korean grew up in Busan. Even though it's on the east coast, hot/humid in the summer, freezing drizzle and snow in the winter. Miserable most of the year. She loves our Colorado weather and would never want to move back.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:13 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,902,942 times
I wouldn't think so, but then again my favorite weather is a warm, damp, foggy winter day & my ancestry is primarily from the British Isles

I do absolutely despise a bitter cold day & snow.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:14 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,324,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
For those bringing up the Somali population in Minneapolis, if you did a survey asking them if they would like to live somewhere warmer and the majority said yes, then it's clear that it would not be Minneapolis they prefer, they probably live there due to Minnesota's liberal refugee policy. Don't act that politics have zero role in where people end up and it's purely based on weather preference. Plenty of factors dictate where people end up, but it is still NOT their PREFERENCE.
I feel like people would also say that about living in AZ. It's nice during winter time (like MN in summer time), but IDK if people would PREFER to live in AZ during the summer in many instances, yet people still live there during summer. It obviously comes down to a lot more than just weather preferences, or liberal policies.

But to your/the OP's point, I've wondered the same thing myself. Being of German/Polish heritage (mostly) I wonder why my body seems to reject dry air more than others. It's not like Germany or Poland are humid tropical places, yet my skin clearly prefers that type of environment, and my body/mind prefer a variety of weather, but cooler preferred over hotter, which would make some sense given my ancestral background (3+ generations removed).

Old 10-28-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I feel like people would also say that about living in AZ. It's nice during winter time (like MN in summer time), but IDK if people would PREFER to live in AZ during the summer in many instances, yet people still live there during summer. It obviously comes down to a lot more than just weather preferences, or liberal policies.

But to your/the OP's point, I've wondered the same thing myself. Being of German/Polish heritage (mostly) I wonder why my body seems to reject dry air more than others. It's not like Germany or Poland are humid tropical places, yet my skin clearly prefers that type of environment, and my body/mind prefer a variety of weather, but cooler preferred over hotter, which would make some sense given my ancestral background (3+ generations removed).
Well I guess we can take into seasons into account, and I'm sure Minneapolis might be similar with winters, but Arizona only gets like one month of sub-80 highs. That's when the weather is best IMO. It's almost Halloween and we are still seeing high-90s. So yeah, "winters" are good here, but they are significantly short compared to our summers which, if we define by at least 90s and up, start in the beginning of April and end in October assuming no weather anomalities. 100s and up are end of April to September. We are having an unusually warm October but October was always too warm still in my opinion. To judge Phoenix or Tucson by just the very short two month or so period of amazing weather and ignore the other 9 months would be biased and inaccurate. Surely someone who lives somewhere all year round would take that into account when judging if they'd like an area to have more rain, more sun, warmer, cooler, etc.

I actually like summers during monsoon season, temps usually are in the 90s and humidity is arouns 60% or so which is MUCH higher than the usual 15% or less. But the wind and the overcast is what I think makes it more tolerable. New Orleans for an example gets the same temps but much higher humidity, and it's brutal. I mean even then if monsoon season had lower temps with that humidity I'd probably really enjoy it. I love storms. But apparently in the US you either live in the pool or you live in the blowdryer... I'd rather take on the blowdryer at the end of the day. The humidity of the south is better on my skin but I can breathe and function much better in the dry heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or