U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which lake has the Best Cities
Ontario 18 29.51%
Erie 6 9.84%
Michigan 37 60.66%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:11 PM

10,930 posts, read 5,046,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Besides Chicago and Milwaukee, which cities or even noteworthy towns does Lake Michigan have on its shores?

Lake Ontario has 9 cities of 100,000+ people that I can think of (Golden Horseshoe Cities: Toronto: 2.8 million; Mississauga: 700,000; Oakville: 180,000; Burlington: 180,000; Hamilton: 500,000; St. Catherine's: 130,000; Oshawa: 140,000 ~ that's 7 cities with a total population of 4.6+ million people all in the Golden Horseshoe, with coastlines on Lake Ontario, with the two furthest being a 90-minute drive from each other). There is also Kingston with a population 128,000, that is 3 hours north of Toronto. On the American side, I guess I can't technically include Buffalo, because even though it has suburbs on Lake Ontario, the city is mostly oriented to Lake Erie. But there is Rochester, NY, with a population of 1 million. That is almost 6 million people in 9 cities, in two countries that have coastlines on Lake Ontario. There are dozens of cities with populations of <100,000 on both sides of the border on Lake Ontario.

In addition to the cities, Lake Ontario has numerous world-famous locations like Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake, the Thousand Islands, and Prince Edward County (along with Niagara, PEC has become famous for its wines, especially in the UK).

Lake Michigan is beautiful, Chicago is a great city, Milwaukee is pretty decent, and there are great beaches and towns along the lake, but I don't know if Lake Michigan can claim the best cities of all the Great Lakes. But since this is an American-centric forum, I don't doubt many will disagree with me even if they've never visited either lake or the cities on them.

Yup...just as I thought, the poll already favours Lake Michigan, even with all cities and world-famous destinations I named on Lake Ontario. Sometimes this forum is just silly in its biases
The Greater Toronto (GTA) is over 6 million people alone, actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Toronto_Area

Adding in the metros of Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Rochester, and the smaller cities of western/central NY and of the northern coast of Lake Ontario in Ontario (e.g. Kingston), you probably have a population that isn't too far off from Lake Michigan's (although I suspect there are still more people on Lake Michigan than Lake Ontario, overall).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 08:39 PM

908 posts, read 912,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Another example is Downtown New Orleans is 5.5 miles from Lake Pontchartrain, but I don't think anyone would say New Orleans isn't on Lake Pontchartrain.
Rochester is 4 miles from Irondequoit Bay, if it isn't on Lake Ontario then Philly isn't a coastal city, Houston isn't a coastal City, Toledo isn't on Lake Erie.
Strawmen.

Who is saying any of those places are situated where you say they aren't? I wouldn't argue that any of those cities are coastal. Galveston is the coast; Philly and Toledo aren't even close to being shore cities.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 PM

908 posts, read 912,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Lake Michigan easily. Chicago, Milwaukee, and Green Bay trump Cleveland, Erie, and Buffalo by far.
What about Put-in-Bay, Sandusky/Cedar Point/Port Clinton, the various resort towns in NE Ohio, and the Lake Erie wine belt?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:13 AM

10,930 posts, read 5,046,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Strawmen.

Who is saying any of those places are situated where you say they aren't? I wouldn't argue that any of those cities are coastal. Galveston is the coast; Philly and Toledo aren't even close to being shore cities.
Just like with Rochester, most of the city lies on a river (Maumee) to the south(west) of the lake - but there is also a portion of the city that is on the lake, Point Place (Point Place Toledo Ohio - Toledo.com).

Philly is comparatively very far from a shore line.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:57 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,228,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
What about Put-in-Bay, Sandusky/Cedar Point/Port Clinton, the various resort towns in NE Ohio, and the Lake Erie wine belt?
That's still not enough to tie Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or