U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which region of the Appalachian Mountains do you prefer?
Southern Appalachian Mountains 27 62.79%
Northern Appalachian Mountains 15 34.88%
Can't decide, Tie. 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 07-25-2016, 10:38 PM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,563,999 times
Reputation: 2194

Advertisements

I know its a banal way to vote in terms of population growth and retirees to mountain paradises. As people who actually live in the region love their vegetation, trees and topography and way of life closer to the land no matter what the numbers, but I think the less industrialized areas tend to have the most people that want to retire there . Coal and Industrialism is such a huge factor in all this .

Huge population gain in retirees people looking for mountain vacation and year round homes and just people migrating to North Carolina, Tennessee, Maryland, South Carolina and Georgia and a few counties in Alabama


Last edited by floridanative10; 07-25-2016 at 10:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2016, 06:40 AM
 
371 posts, read 411,956 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I know its a banal way to vote in terms of population growth and retirees to mountain paradises. As people who actually live in the region love their vegetation, trees and topography and way of life closer to the land no matter what the numbers, but I think the less industrialized areas tend to have the most people that want to retire there . Coal and Industrialism is such a huge factor in all this .

Huge population gain in retirees people looking for mountain vacation and year round homes and just people migrating to North Carolina, Tennessee, Maryland, South Carolina and Georgia and a few counties in Alabama
To be fair, virtually all of that Georgia growth is less the result of the mountains and more the result of the behemoth that is the Atlanta CSA.


That said, I agree with the core of your point. Southern Appalachia is much more "untouched" than northern Appalachia. At least from my own experiences. That's not a knock against Northern Appalachia, I just prefer the south more. It's such a wonderful escape from the hellish summer heat down here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 09:05 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,042 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
To be fair, virtually all of that Georgia growth is less the result of the mountains and more the result of the behemoth that is the Atlanta CSA.


That said, I agree with the core of your point. Southern Appalachia is much more "untouched" than northern Appalachia. At least from my own experiences. That's not a knock against Northern Appalachia, I just prefer the south more. It's such a wonderful escape from the hellish summer heat down here.
True about Atlanta. That region also attracts a lot of Floridians. One big factor is that retirees can live in the mountains and still have easy access to health care. Many Atlanta doctors have satellite offices in north Georgia.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,320 posts, read 2,744,944 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
To be fair, virtually all of that Georgia growth is less the result of the mountains and more the result of the behemoth that is the Atlanta CSA.


That said, I agree with the core of your point. Southern Appalachia is much more "untouched" than northern Appalachia. At least from my own experiences. That's not a knock against Northern Appalachia, I just prefer the south more. It's such a wonderful escape from the hellish summer heat down here.
The southern mountains have been summer resort areas since the late 18th century. Here is a very nice book on the history of the Virginia springs.

https://www.amazon.com/Ladies-Gentle...men+on+display

Here is a driving tour of the Virginia/West Virginia springs which I had to find on the Wayback because the site is no longer up. If you click on the blue links in the article you will get a lot of interesting photos. This person really did a good job on research and photography.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160419...vingtour.shtml
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,949,686 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
The southern mountains have been summer resort areas since the late 18th century. Here is a very nice book on the history of the Virginia springs.

https://www.amazon.com/Ladies-Gentle...men+on+display

Here is a driving tour of the Virginia/West Virginia springs which I had to find on the Wayback because the site is no longer up. If you click on the blue links in the article you will get a lot of interesting photos. This person really did a good job on research and photography.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160419...vingtour.shtml
I am going to have to read that book! Do you happen to know where Virginia Springs were? We have an old spring house near me, about 10 minutes down the road that back at the turn of the century it was a resort, Blue Ridge Resort..all that is left now is the little gazebo where the spring is...I have some pictures on my blog if you want to see:

Around Roanoke, VA (A Daily Photo Blog): Tuesday's Treasures - Blue Ridge Springs

And we've been to Jefferson Pools in Hot Springs and you can see my pics here:

Around Roanoke, VA (A Daily Photo Blog): Jefferson Pools - Hot Springs

Here is another place near me that we hiked one day to see the waterfall but back in the 1890's it was called Crockett Springs Resort:

Around Roanoke, VA (A Daily Photo Blog): Watery Wednesday

And then I have a couple for the Greenbrier, also listed in that book you posted:

Around Roanoke, VA (A Daily Photo Blog): ABC Wednesday - F is for The Greenbrier's FAB FACADE & FOOTBALL

Around Roanoke, VA (A Daily Photo Blog): ABC Wednesday - C is for New Orleans Saints Training CAMP

Anyways...I love hearing about the history of these old resorts which were quite popular! Thanks for the book link!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 02:43 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Reputation: 30796
Neither the Catskills nor the Adirondacks in NY are part of the Appalachian chain. The Appalachians in NY consist of the Hudson Highlands and the Taconics.

I love the whole range but I give an edge to the north because I like the profile and geology (erratics/rock piles, exposed bedrock, bouldery streams, etc) of glaciated mountains and the more northern ecosystems plus above treeline.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 03:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Reputation: 14804
The Catskills are part of the same of the plateau as the Alleghies; which are considered a subsection of the Appalachian chain
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 03:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Reputation: 14804
photo in the northern Appalachians by me



Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,320 posts, read 2,744,944 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I am going to have to read that book! Do you happen to know where Virginia Springs were? We have an old spring house near me, about 10 minutes down the road that back at the turn of the century it was a resort, Blue Ridge Resort..all that is left now is the little gazebo where the spring is...I have some pictures on my blog if you want to see:

Around Roanoke, VA (A Daily Photo Blog): Tuesday's Treasures - Blue Ridge Springs

And we've been to Jefferson Pools in Hot Springs and you can see my pics here:

Around Roanoke, VA (A Daily Photo Blog): Jefferson Pools - Hot Springs

Here is another place near me that we hiked one day to see the waterfall but back in the 1890's it was called Crockett Springs Resort:

Around Roanoke, VA (A Daily Photo Blog): Watery Wednesday

And then I have a couple for the Greenbrier, also listed in that book you posted:

Around Roanoke, VA (A Daily Photo Blog): ABC Wednesday - F is for The Greenbrier's FAB FACADE & FOOTBALL

Around Roanoke, VA (A Daily Photo Blog): ABC Wednesday - C is for New Orleans Saints Training CAMP

Anyways...I love hearing about the history of these old resorts which were quite popular! Thanks for the book link!
Hello Breeze, I like your blog a lot, nice photos. There is a book by Stan Cohen called Historic Springs of the Virginias and it has 2 pages on Blue Ridge Springs with its history. You might want to click the last link I put in my post above about the driving tour of the springs, that lady took a lot of photos and has a tremendous amount of reference material, including links to free ebooks from the 19th century that are written about the springs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Far Southwestern Virginia
15 posts, read 14,391 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
photo in the northern Appalachians by me


Those images are stunning! Where were they taken?

Here is an image of the mountains at my home. [ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Northern VS Southern Appalachians. Poll-img_0440-downsized-x2.jpg  
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top