U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region of the Appalachian Mountains do you prefer?
Southern Appalachian Mountains 27 62.79%
Northern Appalachian Mountains 15 34.88%
Can't decide, Tie. 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:04 PM

15 posts, read 14,403 times

Advertisements

The Appalachian Mountains are truly a beautiful mountain range as a whole all the way from northern Alabama to Eastern Quebec. The dividing line between the northern and southern mountains is debatable so I set a Generally Fair Dividing Line. Northern VS Southern Appalachians. Poll-appalachian-mountains.jpg
Your vote should take consideration into these categories.
1) Personal Experiences
2) Grandeur
3) Accessibility
4) Climate [preference]
5) Recreational Events
6) Culture
7) Flora and Fauna
8) Varied Terrain

Last edited by Robert The Red; 07-24-2016 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Spelling and Grammar Errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 06:06 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
The southern Appalachians do not extend into Pennsylvania.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:31 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,950,951 times
my vote goes with southern, i have never been north. the app trail runs right through here where i live...it's beautiful here!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:18 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
should really be Central Appalachia as well

https://www.conservationgateway.org/...es/default.asp

they are all pretty distinct with the history of coal and industrialism in certain areas

Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,463,499 times
I Chose Southern. Even though I live in the PA Appalachian ranges. Sadly much ravaged by coal mining in the past. Killing streams and creeks with acid mine water run-off near me. Central PA is much better... but mining in western regions also occurred. New England or New York state is good too. But of course West Virginia in the Southern region also has damage from mining.

But I think the Great Smokes exemplifies Appalachia beauty at its best. So that is why I voted Southern.....

Old 07-25-2016, 01:14 PM

1,246 posts, read 821,518 times
This was a tough one for me. The whole range is beautiful but I went with northern. Some of the views in northern states like VT and ME are absolutely stunning in the fall.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:42 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,930,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
my vote goes with southern, i have never been north. the app trail runs right through here where i live...it's beautiful here!
Well my vote goes to the northern because i have never been to the southern.

Joking, I didn't vote, I have only been to the northern mountains. (Mostly NH) but a little of VT and ME too.

I must say I love the White Mountains, tons of great rugged trails and beauty to be had.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:48 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,857,884 times
West Virginia's mountains (The Allegheny's/Potomac Highlands) are more similar to the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mts. than they are to the Catskills, Adirondacks, and Green Mts. So WV would have to be in the "Southern Appalachians" if not its own region. I love the mountains here in WV so much, but I have also lived in the Adirondacks. This is a tough call, as I am a major homer for everything WV! lol

I think I'll vote southern based on unfair bias

Old 07-25-2016, 06:41 PM

I regret only offering 2 options that being southern and northern. If I could redo it I would add the central Appalachians as an option. Probably putting it's southern dividing line just north of Snowshoe WV, in the Allegheny Mountains and its northern dividing line just above the Catskills in NY. Also, I decided to add the Adirondack mountains as although they aren't geologically considered part of the range they are on the east of the St.Lawrence river. That being said I believe my definition of the central Appalachians wouldn't gain a lot of votes. As the 2 juggernauts of the range are the Smoky Mountains Of the south and White Mountains of the north, thus polarizing the popularity of the range on 2 sides with a rather low elevation center barely relevant in comparison. That being said the central mountains are pretty. In case you are wondering I live in southwestern Virginia in a small town called Honaker. Often times fellow Virginians from the other areas of the state forget about our existence and issues. The area is highly undeveloped however has some amazing mountains and trails.

Last edited by Robert The Red; 07-25-2016 at 08:00 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert The Red View Post
The Appalachian Mountains are truly a beautiful mountain range as a whole all the way from northern Alabama to Eastern Quebec. The dividing line between the northern and southern mountains is debatable so I set a Generally Fair Dividing Line. Attachment 172894
Your vote should take consideration into these categories.
1) Personal Experiences
2) Grandeur
3) Accessibility
4) Climate [preference]
5) Recreational Events
6) Culture
7) Flora and Fauna
8) Varied Terrain
It is acceptable to vote if you at least have a general understanding of both regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.