U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 12:01 PM

67 posts, read 47,504 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I could use your input! I have had enough of windy and cold Michigan winters and the steamy summers, so I am looking for the most ideal city for me to relocate to.

I'm 43, single, no kids, conservative, and appreciate the arts and live music. Since I'm a single income household, affordable housing is a must.

Desires: Within an hour of an airport that has non-stop Delta flights to Detroit, has at least 2 universities (I work in higher ed), low humidity, no/hardly any mosquitoes, better roads than Detroit (that shouldn't be hard), and no snowfall-melt-refreeze-icy sidewalk hazards. I would also like to be within an hour of a city that major concert tours stop in.

I've lived in Nashville and loved it, but the pollen was too much for my allergies and the summers too hot. The winters were lovely. I've spend a good amount of time in Florida and it's too sunny and humid for me. I need a location that is friendly to fair skin. Arizona is too brown. I missed grass and trees.

What research I've done suggests that I should consider Colorado, Utah, Idaho and Washington state.

Can you recommend any cities that fit the bill? Thanks in advance! :-)

Last edited by GoBlueA2; 07-26-2016 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 12:15 PM

18,911 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Probably the Salt Lake/Provo/Ogden metro in Utah

Old 07-26-2016, 12:24 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times
Cleveland or NE Ohio

Old 07-26-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Cleveland or NE Ohio
He wants to get away from the Great Lakes winters

Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM

1,244 posts, read 820,042 times
Colorado Springs, CO

Old 07-26-2016, 12:45 PM

3,077 posts, read 2,109,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueA2 View Post
no snowfall-melt-refreeze-icy sidewalk hazards.

I've lived in Nashville and loved it, but the pollen was too much for my allergies and the summers too hot. I need a location that is friendly to fair skin. Arizona is too brown. I missed grass and trees.

What research I've done suggests that I should consider Colorado, Utah and Washington state.
Surprised you have Colorado and Utah on the short list given the items extracted from your quote above. Both have snow-melt-refreeze in the winter. Both are very dry over all yet have wet times that can produce unusually high pollen counts. The dry, high altitude means things do have a brownish/tan tint to them, except for high in the mountains where it is cooler and it is still a darker, somewhat muted green compared to a place like Washington. High overall altitude means sunscreen, hat, and glasses are a must for fair skinned people year round.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:14 PM

67 posts, read 47,504 times
Thank you for the insight. I read that Denver's snow does not stay on the ground long. It said the sun comes out and it melts off rather quickly compared to being on the ground for days or weeks at a time like in Michigan. Is that not the case?

Old 07-26-2016, 02:41 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,144,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Probably the Salt Lake/Provo/Ogden metro in Utah
Naw, that area has mosquitoes, snow and icy sidewalks, and is "brownish" because that area is a desert.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Naw, that area has mosquitoes, snow and icy sidewalks, and is "brownish" because that area is a desert.
Have you ever been to Salt Lake? If you had, you would know that it is actually pretty green. Thanks to orographic lift from the Wasatch Mountains, they get over 20" of precip/year, so they are technically semi-arid, but still green, like Sacramento, the Desert doesn't start in northern UT unril about 40-50 miles west of Downtown SLC.

And to your other point, everywhere has mosquitos

Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
He wants to get away from the Great Lakes winters
Well, he won't find conservatives or the sun in WA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or