U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:23 PM

56,681 posts, read 80,995,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx233 View Post
Upstate New York certainly stands as a possibility. Buffalo loses proximity to NYC and from our personal experiences there at least, I don't feel it really gains us much (better grocery stores). Overall I think it would be a loss compared to Pittsburgh for sure. Rochester I don't have much experience with outside of stopping there for dinner once while passing through. I'll give it a look.

Wilmington,DE is an interesting suggestion. DE is one of the few states we've never spent any real time in. I'd really like to stay with a larger city, but can sacrifice that if it's easy enough to visit NYC. Not sure just looking at a map that Wilmington fits that - but I'll explore it. I like what I see for housing there. Neat style they've got.
If you want the city of Rochester, I'd look in this area: Southeast Quadrant - Rochester Wiki

If you were to consider Syracuse, I'd say that these areas are worth a look: City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today
Eastwood Neighborhood Association
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0684...8i6656!6m1!1e1

City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today
Westcott Neighborhood Association - Westcott Community
UNPA | University Neighborhood Preservation Association
seuna - Home
Home Crouse-Marshall
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0414...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-27-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 01:10 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,885,687 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, definitely. Lots of great places you can still get a house for $125k. I'm honestly unsure why anyone lives in Phoenix, we personally hate it there - it's hot, overpriced (in our opinions) and sprawled out everywhere. Lots of resources there and good economy though. But you can get that in a suburb of Philly though with much better weather (we think)
Seems some people have different definitions of better weather. To me, Phoenix has the 2nd best climate in the whole country, behind SoCal. I need lots of sunshine, palm trees and zero snow or humidity

Old 07-27-2016, 01:57 PM

159 posts, read 162,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but what about schools, OP?

Also, are you looking just within the city proper or would you consider walkable suburbs too?
Schools just need to be decent. If we were to go inner-city chicago for instance, we'd probably homeschool (I'm guessing. I don't honestly have any idea which cities have awful or great schools. Our oldest is 3 and we've put off thinking too much about it until a few days ago when we actually secured a pre-approval lol) Ideally if we went somewhere with mediocre schools, we'd probably move again in 10 years just before high-school and hopefully have the resources at that time to opt for nicer schools. Prior to high school we can fill in the blanks pretty comfortably where school has been lacking.

We love the idea of city-proper, but we're not committed to it and would certainly consider walkable suburbs. Particularly if the area offers a lot otherwise. We'd even consider non-walkable suburbs if the area was ideal other than that - it's just that what we're looking for tends to go hand-in-hand with being walkable in our experience, so rather than ambiguously say "somewhere we'd really love" it's easier to just say "walkable" because, while still subjective, it's a heck of a lot more practical of a filter and will likely produce similar results even if there's a small chance we might miss somewhere obscure.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:06 PM

159 posts, read 162,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Seems some people have different definitions of better weather. To me, Phoenix has the 2nd best climate in the whole country, behind SoCal. I need lots of sunshine, palm trees and zero snow or humidity
People definitely have different definitions! We moved from NorCal (Redding - super hot!) to Pittsburgh, slightly worried about both snow and humidity. I think the weather in Pittsburgh is absolutely impossible to beat anywhere near our budget though. Turns out we love the winter - it makes the other seasons so much more appreciated and the city is just alive when it's not frozen. We'd like for there to be more things to do during winter - indoor playgrounds and such (which for some reason are incredibly popular and really nice in SoCal despite that there's nowhere in the country that needs them less.) And summer here really doesn't get unbearable which is awesome.

Now, next week we're gonna take a couple days and venture down to the south - trying to hit it right about at the most miserable time of year we can - just to see if we can live with it. I feel like if we can that it opens up some options to us (like possibly fulfilling my wife's desire to be near the ocean), or at least doesn't restrict any based only on weather. We'll see how that goes

Old 07-27-2016, 02:22 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,831,191 times
I miss living in WNY. I have been traveling there lately. Lots of great stuff going on. I would give smaller cities and rural areas in NY a look.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:30 PM

56,681 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Schools just need to be decent. If we were to go inner-city chicago for instance, we'd probably homeschool (I'm guessing. I don't honestly have any idea which cities have awful or great schools. Our oldest is 3 and we've put off thinking too much about it until a few days ago when we actually secured a pre-approval lol) Ideally if we went somewhere with mediocre schools, we'd probably move again in 10 years just before high-school and hopefully have the resources at that time to opt for nicer schools. Prior to high school we can fill in the blanks pretty comfortably where school has been lacking.

We love the idea of city-proper, but we're not committed to it and would certainly consider walkable suburbs. Particularly if the area offers a lot otherwise. We'd even consider non-walkable suburbs if the area was ideal other than that - it's just that what we're looking for tends to go hand-in-hand with being walkable in our experience, so rather than ambiguously say "somewhere we'd really love" it's easier to just say "walkable" because, while still subjective, it's a heck of a lot more practical of a filter and will likely produce similar results even if there's a small chance we might miss somewhere obscure.
Would you be open to charter or private schools as well?

I think you could do both a city neighborhood or a suburban area with some degree of walkability(villages or otherwise) in the Upstate NY areas. They may not be as urban as Pittsburgh's Garfield neighborhood or have as extensive public transportation, but they could still serve their purpose, given that there is some flexibility.

Living in an area with a Wegmans nearby would be nice and could be done as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-27-2016 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 02:31 PM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
With the exception of proximity to NYC obviously, Lakewood OH (an adjoining suburb of Cleveland) nails your criteria.

The City of Lakewood, Ohio
Home - LakewoodAlive
W. 117 - Madison Rapid Station | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
Triskett Rapid Station | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
Non-Stop Cities | Cleveland Hopkins Airport

Old 07-27-2016, 03:37 PM

6,318 posts, read 6,979,763 times
Quote:
Wilmington,DE is an interesting suggestion. DE is one of the few states we've never spent any real time in. I'd really like to stay with a larger city, but can sacrifice that if it's easy enough to visit NYC. Not sure just looking at a map that Wilmington fits that - but I'll explore it. I like what I see for housing there. Neat style they've got.
Wilmington has some really nice areas (though I assume not under 125k). Re: larger city, Wilmington is practically part of Philly so you don't have to worry about lacking big city amenities. I think downtown to downtown it's 20 minutes by train.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:06 PM

29 posts, read 24,101 times
I'm well aware that St. Louis is nowhere near NYC, but I recently bought a house here (for under 100k). 100k - 150k is reasonable for a decent or nice city neighborhood. There's lots of historic architecture and housing stock here. Everything is brick (if you're into that)

In the city, I would look into Tower Grove East, Tower Grove South, Benton Park, South Hampton, Clifton Heights and possibly Dogtown. All of these neighborhoods are near parks and are popular with young families.

In the burbs, Maplewood is pretty safe and close to everything. You may find something in Brentwood for that price range too.

I spent 5 minutes searching and found several examples of what $125,000 can buy in St. Louis:

South Hampton

Tower Grove East

Old 07-27-2016, 08:20 PM

908 posts, read 912,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Parks of upstate NY are fairly cheap from what I've seen though I cannot comment on the neighborhoods as I'm unfamiliar with that area of the state.
I've lived in 5 places in upstate NY. Some good, mostly bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or