U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:09 PM

56,507 posts, read 80,803,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
NY is full of great little towns if you don't like cities. Olean is one of them. I was also going to mention Wellsville as family friendly but it might be too rural for the OP. I took a trip to Rochester this year and was expecting the apocalypse but came across a clean and newer city. We were impressed with the downtown.
Auburn may be a good choice in this regard. This is a nice area which is a straight shot into its Downtown: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9344...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Canandaigua, which is about 30 minutes SE of Rochester on Canandaigua Lake, fits a lot of the criteria also comes to mind: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8867...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (view of its 24 hour Wegmans: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8773...8i6656!6m1!1e1 )

This walkable village west of Rochester on the Erie Canal also comes to mind: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2161...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (its Wegmans just south of the village: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1983...8i6656!6m1!1e1 )

This village just N/NW of Syracuse may also work and has a very nice, big park and grocery store that people can walk to(with 2 Wegmans and the airport within a short drive): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1021...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Onondaga Lake Park Onondaga County Parks

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-28-2016 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 04:43 PM

159 posts, read 162,595 times
I think I can chime in and settle the Upstate NY/WNY debate. At least in my experience, I would tend to agree that most of upstate NY is pretty dumpy and not respectful (honestly it seems worse than what I see in Pittsburgh for the most part.)

The big win for parts of upstate NY would be access to NYC by metro north. But I feel like parts of Philly would maintain similar access (albeit a bit more expensive) while improving on almost every other point? So I think I'd be more interested in ideas about where to focus in Philly than where to focus in upstate NY at this point, unless there's somewhere in upstate NY (or anywhere else) that's an hour train ride from NYC and is at very least not family UNfriendly and flat out dangerous. If we could find that - then we'd just hang out at home unless we're a) going for a quick trip to the park b) getting some quick everyday groceries or things we forgot to stock (walmart or really anywhere is perfectly fine for that), or c) Going to NYC for EVERYTHING else we'd ever do.

But if we're talking 2-3 hours from NYC, I think there might be better options than most places upstate that I've looked at.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx233 View Post
I think I can chime in and settle the Upstate NY/WNY debate. At least in my experience, I would tend to agree that most of upstate NY is pretty dumpy and not respectful (honestly it seems worse than what I see in Pittsburgh for the most part.)

The big win for parts of upstate NY would be access to NYC by metro north. But I feel like parts of Philly would maintain similar access (albeit a bit more expensive) while improving on almost every other point? So I think I'd be more interested in ideas about where to focus in Philly than where to focus in upstate NY at this point, unless there's somewhere in upstate NY (or anywhere else) that's an hour train ride from NYC and is at very least not family UNfriendly and flat out dangerous. If we could find that - then we'd just hang out at home unless we're a) going for a quick trip to the park b) getting some quick everyday groceries or things we forgot to stock (walmart or really anywhere is perfectly fine for that), or c) Going to NYC for EVERYTHING else we'd ever do.

But if we're talking 2-3 hours from NYC, I think there might be better options than most places upstate that I've looked at.
What areas in Upstate NY did you look at? In that case, your best bet are maybe parts of Putnam, Orange, Dutchess or Rockland counties. That essentially changes your thread title to something else though.

Also, if areas north of NYC are viewed or come across as "dangerous", that may rule Wilmington DE and areas of Philly within your budget.

Staying in Pittsburgh is the best option.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-28-2016 at 06:37 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What areas in Upstate NY did you look at? In that case, your best bet are maybe parts of Putnam, Orange, Dutchess or Rockland counties. That essentially changes your thread title to something else though.

Also, if areas north of NYC are viewed or come across as "dangerous", that may rule Wilmington DE and areas of Philly within your budget.

Staying in Pittsburgh is the best option.
I'm pretty familiar with Buffalo, and there's no way in heck I'd move there - but I think that was already ruled out anyway. I've only driven through Syracuse, Rochester, and other NY towns. Albany has possibility if taxes aren't nuts and the places in my price range are reasonably safe (but I'm getting the feeling neither of those qualifications are true?)

But I wasn't saying I view any particular place north of NYC as dangerous (I really know nothing about anything north until Albany), just that if there *were* anywhere within an hour train ride, even if it's otherwise a pretty lame/awful town - we'd definitely consider that so long as it wasn't flat out dangerous there. We have no problem with hopping on the train for an hour to do fairly routine grocery shopping, we've done it before while working a job out in the middle of nowhere. At least in this scenario an hour would get us somewhere really awesome as opposed to simply the nearest walmart, and we wouldn't even have to actually drive there. An hour on the train can be very easily filled with the same things we'd have otherwise been doing at home. I'm just not sure such a place exists.

This weekend we're going to visit an open house in Englewood,NJ (just across the hudson from the very very northern tip of Manhattan) to see what the deal is with cheap condos there. I'm sure it's something no doubt, we're just curious what exactly - completely unsafe, insane maintenance fees, who knows, but we're headed through the area anyway so we figure we'll stop in for the open house.

We're also planning a slight detour to visit Wilmington because it really seems to have a lot going for it. But I will say that I looked at SpotCrime and was surprised at the number of violent crimes there, particularly after I looked at our neighborhood in Pittsburgh for reference and didn't really see any (which I'm not sure how that is, we hear gunshots at least every other month. They just don't bother us too much because it's never random crime - it's always soured relationships of one sort or another. Maybe when it's soured relationships no one reports it unless someone actually died? *shrug*)

Pittsburgh IS hard to beat though, I will absolutely admit that. That's why we moved there in the first place. We're just looking for at least one solid other city to consider so we can decide what we want more. For random information, the reason we're still considering our neighborhood is because it negates the primary thing we hate most about Pittsburgh - the groceries - while also adding a LOT of perks. Giant Eagle really is bad enough that it's a solid reason not to live here in our opinion. But we're within walking distance to a whole foods - probably the only place in the entire country where that's true for $125k lol. And honestly, we're kinda addicted to wf after shopping there exclusively for about 4 years now - I almost made that the bullet point on my list but I didn't think people would take us seriously asking about houses for $125k near a whole foods And something like a Wegmans is perfectly fine, we'd never set foot in a wf until a couple weeks into living in Pittsburgh we went on a desperate search for other options. But as far as our neighborhood, I can easily walk to a couple co-working spaces as well as easily bike/bus to a Techshop (coop wood/metal shop maker space.) So all that said, while there's other things we don't like about Pittsburgh - *particularly* the awful smoking culture - we can live with it so long as we can find a place in our current neighborhood. We want somewhere else that's solid though so we can consider, "Well, do we want this dumpy house in our neighborhood that has these great things, but these downsides that we're well familiar with - or do we want this house in someothertown that has these good points and those bad points?" And then we're just trying to narrow it down to one place so we don't overwhelm the search. It's great being self employed and able to go anywhere in the country just fine instead of where a job is, but I liken it to choosing a meal at the cheesecake factory (a menu that's 20 pages long) vs In-n-Out (Do you want cheese, or not?)

Old 07-28-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
OP, what do you do for work?
Self employed in the IT field. I travel a lot for work, so a good airport is a big deal. I'd love one bigger than Pittsburgh (and with a freeway getting to it that isn't ALWAYS under construction with unpredictable delays), but the Pittsburgh airport is so chill and easy to get in/out of that it balances out well (late from traffic, not a big deal, cause from the street to the gate takes 20 minutes.)

My only other consideration for work would be that ideally there's an OK job market within commutable distance in case self employment ever fails me. The airport is more important though - I've been at this for 3 years and don't foresee needing a normal job anytime soon.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty familiar with Buffalo, and there's no way in heck I'd move there - but I think that was already ruled out anyway. I've only driven through Syracuse, Rochester, and other NY towns. Albany has possibility if taxes aren't nuts and the places in my price range are reasonably safe (but I'm getting the feeling neither of those qualifications are true?)

But I wasn't saying I view any particular place north of NYC as dangerous (I really know nothing about anything north until Albany), just that if there *were* anywhere within an hour train ride, even if it's otherwise a pretty lame/awful town - we'd definitely consider that so long as it wasn't flat out dangerous there. We have no problem with hopping on the train for an hour to do fairly routine grocery shopping, we've done it before while working a job out in the middle of nowhere. At least in this scenario an hour would get us somewhere really awesome as opposed to simply the nearest walmart, and we wouldn't even have to actually drive there. An hour on the train can be very easily filled with the same things we'd have otherwise been doing at home. I'm just not sure such a place exists.

This weekend we're going to visit an open house in Englewood,NJ (just across the hudson from the very very northern tip of Manhattan) to see what the deal is with cheap condos there. I'm sure it's something no doubt, we're just curious what exactly - completely unsafe, insane maintenance fees, who knows, but we're headed through the area anyway so we figure we'll stop in for the open house.

We're also planning a slight detour to visit Wilmington because it really seems to have a lot going for it. But I will say that I looked at SpotCrime and was surprised at the number of violent crimes there, particularly after I looked at our neighborhood in Pittsburgh for reference and didn't really see any (which I'm not sure how that is, we hear gunshots at least every other month. They just don't bother us too much because it's never random crime - it's always soured relationships of one sort or another. Maybe when it's soured relationships no one reports it unless someone actually died? *shrug*)

Pittsburgh IS hard to beat though, I will absolutely admit that. That's why we moved there in the first place. We're just looking for at least one solid other city to consider so we can decide what we want more. For random information, the reason we're still considering our neighborhood is because it negates the primary thing we hate most about Pittsburgh - the groceries - while also adding a LOT of perks. Giant Eagle really is bad enough that it's a solid reason not to live here in our opinion. But we're within walking distance to a whole foods - probably the only place in the entire country where that's true for $125k lol. And honestly, we're kinda addicted to wf after shopping there exclusively for about 4 years now - I almost made that the bullet point on my list but I didn't think people would take us seriously asking about houses for $125k near a whole foods And something like a Wegmans is perfectly fine, we'd never set foot in a wf until a couple weeks into living in Pittsburgh we went on a desperate search for other options. But as far as our neighborhood, I can easily walk to a couple co-working spaces as well as easily bike/bus to a Techshop (coop wood/metal shop maker space.) So all that said, while there's other things we don't like about Pittsburgh - *particularly* the awful smoking culture - we can live with it so long as we can find a place in our current neighborhood. We want somewhere else that's solid though so we can consider, "Well, do we want this dumpy house in our neighborhood that has these great things, but these downsides that we're well familiar with - or do we want this house in someothertown that has these good points and those bad points?" And then we're just trying to narrow it down to one place so we don't overwhelm the search. It's great being self employed and able to go anywhere in the country just fine instead of where a job is, but I liken it to choosing a meal at the cheesecake factory (a menu that's 20 pages long) vs In-n-Out (Do you want cheese, or not?)
Albany many be a little bit tougher in that range due to having a higher median home price. You may find something in one of the smaller, blue collar cities in the area as the best bet there. Places like Watervliet, Cohoes and Rensselaer are what I was thinking of. There may be some steals, but that requires some research.

Beacon is a small city with a growing arts scene that is on the Metro North that may fit, but does still have a mix of neighborhoods in terms of good and bad that seems to be improving for the better.

Also, Wegmans is pretty good in terms of quality and in terms of reasonable prices. I'm kind of surprised that Pittsburgh doesn't have one.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creare View Post
I'm well aware that St. Louis is nowhere near NYC, but I recently bought a house here (for under 100k). 100k - 150k is reasonable for a decent or nice city neighborhood.
St Louis is high on our possibility list for the same reasons you list. Also, City Museum is the most amazing thing in this country lol. Also also, we have some property out at Lake of the Ozarks with a yurt on it that we'd love to actually be able to visit (plans changed dramatically after buying it, and we've never actually gotten to spend time there.) But that might not be a huge consideration either as we might need to sell that property for a down payment on this house (or as business expansion funds, same difference since it's coming from the same pockets.)

Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, Wegmans is pretty good in terms of quality and in terms of reasonable prices. I'm kind of surprised that Pittsburgh doesn't have one.
I'm telling you, the grocery scene here is absurd and monopolized! And locals don't even realize it, they get roped in on fuel perks and completely ignore the insane prices and generally horrible experience. Whole Foods is literally cheaper to shop at, at least for the things we buy (only exceptions are chicken, because they don't have a lower quality cheaper option that matches Giant Eagle apples to apples... and steak. Steak is the only thing that drags me into Giant Eagle about once or twice a year when I reeeally want steak but cashflow is down and I can't justify the $17/lb wf wants.)

But yeah, Wegmans is perfectly fine. So is kroger, smiths, Giant, safeway, and literally any other regional chain we've ever been to We would definitely like a whole foods within driving distance still, but we'd adjust and live. And save money doing it.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
I'm telling you, the grocery scene here is absurd and monopolized! And locals don't even realize it, they get roped in on fuel perks and completely ignore the insane prices and generally horrible experience. Whole Foods is literally cheaper to shop at, at least for the things we buy (only exceptions are chicken, because they don't have a lower quality cheaper option that matches Giant Eagle apples to apples... and steak. Steak is the only thing that drags me into Giant Eagle about once or twice a year when I reeeally want steak but cashflow is down and I can't justify the $17/lb wf wants.)

But yeah, Wegmans is perfectly fine. So is kroger, smiths, Giant, safeway, and literally any other regional chain we've ever been to We would definitely like a whole foods within driving distance still, but we'd adjust and live. And save money doing it.
If you can find a home within your budget, there is a Whole Foods in the Albany area: Colonie Center ::: Whole Foods Market

Old 07-29-2016, 02:05 PM

Something like this in Albany may work: ALBANY Real Estate - 113 DELAWARE AV, ALBANY, NY, 12202

Here is the area the home is down the street from: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6433...7i13312!8i6656

This grocery store that is open 24 hours is also down the street from that home: Grocery store on 40 Delaware Ave., Albany, NY | Price Chopper

Another one that may work: ALBANY Real Estate - 34 FULLERTON ST, ALBANY, NY, 12209

Here is another listing: SCHENECTADY Real Estate - 1019 PALMER AV, SCHENECTADY, NY, 12309 It is in this neighborhood, which has a walkable business district and a 24 hour grocery store(Price Chopper, which is based in Schenectady) nearby: upperunionstreet.com • Home

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8032...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (literally a block from the listing)

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8068...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Grocery store on 1640 Eastern Parkway, Schenectady, NY | Price Chopper

So, it appears that you may have some legitimate options in the area, but keep taxes in mind or factor them in(inc. exemptions). Here are some more listings: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

All of the listings are within cities in the area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-29-2016 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or