U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 09:03 AM

1,244 posts, read 820,042 times

Advertisements

What cities would you say have good/great job markets with lower competition. I've noticed a lot of very popular and growing cities have many great paying jobs but the competition for some of those positions can be crazy. Hundreds and even thousands of people applying for a single position.

Are there any cities that come to mind that still have plentiful jobs but not as fierce competition? No limits on size, region, weather, or industry. Just in general.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 09:16 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,510,103 times
I've noticed here on the East Coast(really the NYC, Philadelphia, Maryland, Boston, DC area LOL) there are lots of opportunity if you're interested in long commutes and are willing to take paycuts--but there's a ton of competition and talent which means that for everyone Joe Smoe willing to go the whole 9 yards for an average paying job, there are about 15 more that are willing to do what he does too, and probably 20 more desperate talented applicants that would do the same job for even less pay and a longer commute than Joe. Making it virtually an employers market out on the East Coast and you really have to be in something specialized, be a high level executive, or have connections to get a job without the competition, and/or paycut possibility. Really, I've observed that on the East Coast, when it comes to the bigger cities, there's a lot of competition for jobs. Interestingly enough, most of these east coast cities are at the middle to the bottom of the list here:
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173/

I think the south and the Midwest for the most part have the most opportunities with relatively little competition. The West Coast(some places) also have cities that have stable economies, and decent job-market, but it's a high COL--so that's something to consider. Overall I'd say you want to avoid the east coast. And if you don't want a high COL than the West coast can be ruled out too. Really the South and some sections of Midwest offer more jobs, less competition, a good COL, and great for raising families. However, I've noticed that in the south the pay is less... so you have to pick your battles so to speak. If salary matters to you, low competition, affordability, less competition, having all four seasons(and in some places very cold winters) than the Midwest would probably be the best bet. However, if salary isn't as important(because the COL is lower anyway) than in regards to all of the above, the South is good, and has the warmest weather.

For specific places--I'd say: TX, ND, CO, MN, OH, WA, AZ, etc, etc.

Last edited by Faith2187; 07-27-2016 at 09:36 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 09:20 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,296,612 times
I got a job in Texas because I was the only qualified applicant and because the cost of living is cheaper than the Northeast. However, my salary is much lower than what it really should be.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:38 AM

56,501 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Omaha, Des Moines....?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:06 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,052,118 times
Minneapolis has acute shortages of workers throughout its labor market, and lots of opportunity.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:34 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,869,538 times
Not a specific city, but North Dakota has a lot of jobs with little competition.

General rule of thumb is the less populated and less desirable areas have less competition for jobs. There are exceptions pf course. Wyoming has a lot of government jobs that have lower required qualifications compared to the same job in many other states and they often pay well. Thats how desperate they are for people. They called me from out of state to interview for a position that I wouldve never been considered for anywhere else (I didnt get selected though).

If you don't want to waste your time putting in too much effort for jobs youll never get, I'd say stay away from the major coastal cities or Denver and Chicago. The job market in those areas will be more competitive, unless youre lucky.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:22 PM

3,952 posts, read 3,485,687 times
Grand Rapids

Old 07-27-2016, 05:08 PM

3,533 posts, read 1,513,328 times
Keep in mind. Some people flip out when they see lower wages, but ignore the lower cost of living. That's where your buying power index is. Look for that, not the "highest wages". Your money will go a lot farther in Dallas or Charlotte than it will in NYC or SF. Generally speaking, some of the best opportunities and reasonable COL are places like TX, TN, NC, ND, MN. The Bay Area, OR, and WA have pretty good economies, but competition is a bit stiff and the COL in those areas are high. The bang for your $$$ isn't very good.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:58 PM

8,940 posts, read 4,095,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
What cities would you say have good/great job markets with lower competition. I've noticed a lot of very popular and growing cities have many great paying jobs but the competition for some of those positions can be crazy. Hundreds and even thousands of people applying for a single position.

Are there any cities that come to mind that still have plentiful jobs but not as fierce competition? No limits on size, region, weather, or industry. Just in general.
Oklahoma City. The market has cooled down quite a bit compared to where it was a few years ago during the oil boom but still isn't bad.

This isn't a place people really want to live though so competition is quite a bit lower than in a more desirable city. Wages are lower as well, but if you don't mind living in an undesirable part of the country, it isn't a bad place to launch your career. Just make sure you plan your path forward and don't end up stuck here like I did.

Dallas and Charlotte are mid-high-competition markets. Not as high as the SF Bay Area, Austin, or Portland, but still fairly high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.